PDA

View Full Version : Update on Offensive Obama Costume

StantonHyde
10-27-2009, 01:44 PM
A couple of days ago, I posted about a student wearing "black face" at our school's Halloween carnival (part of an otherwise Ok Obama costume). I stopped by the principal's office just to chat with her about it. She has restored my faith in humanity :love2:

She said she was offended by it and she talked to the boy's father that night. The father said, "I swear I didn't put him up to it." She agreed that the dad shouldn't have let the kid out of the house, but she recognized that she had hit a brick wall. Then she told me that the literature class the student had placed into (which is really hard to get into--gott be a smart kid) will be reading literature from different cultures over the next quarter. She hoped it would help. I said that he needs to know it hurts others and she agreed and then she said, "It hurts him first". How true.

She was so open to my conversation and I was touched by her reaction. I was impressed that she spoke to the father immediately. She is doing the best she can with that family...

SnuggleBuggles
10-27-2009, 01:46 PM
Excellent update!!

Beth

MamaMolly
10-27-2009, 01:55 PM
What a welcome update! And kudos to you for following up on it. I'd have probably stewed over it and never learned that it was actually addressed. Good example for me that being wimpy can equal taking the low road. I admire the Principal's take on it, too.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
10-27-2009, 02:26 PM
:yay: At least she addressed the issue, and saw it as an issue. A dad should be able to tell his 12 year old what not to wear...Mine did!

vonfirmath
10-27-2009, 02:28 PM
:yay: At least she addressed the issue, and saw it as an issue. A dad should be able to tell his 12 year old what not to wear...Mine did!

It depends on what other issues that dad is battling with that 12 year old and what their relationship was. My parents told me what I could and could not wear at 12. But we had a great relationship and I was a good kid.

I've known parents who are fighting so many issues with their kids that they choose "not to fight that battle" on stuff that doesn't matter so they have credibility on the stuff that DOES. (Drugs, for instance.)

wellyes
10-27-2009, 03:09 PM
Thanks for posting this! I was concerned, and I can understand why the principal handled it the way she did (talking to the dad vs. kicking the kid out). Glad to see that this family is now on her radar screen. 12 is a tough age for many kids.

Toba
10-27-2009, 06:54 PM
That is an awesome update. What a great principal.

♥ms.pacman♥
10-27-2009, 07:05 PM
That is an awesome update. What a great principal.

i agree. kudos to him for getting involved and addressing the issue. :applause: sadly i think a lot of school teachers/principals would simply have brushed it off and said to ignore it.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
10-27-2009, 07:29 PM
It depends on what other issues that dad is battling with that 12 year old and what their relationship was. My parents told me what I could and could not wear at 12. But we had a great relationship and I was a good kid.

I've known parents who are fighting so many issues with their kids that they choose "not to fight that battle" on stuff that doesn't matter so they have credibility on the stuff that DOES. (Drugs, for instance.)

I was not a good kid and my dad was an alcoholic then, but at 12 I did what I was supposed to do. Even when I was getting in trouble, I was still respectful of others.

To me my child wearing a blackface costume is up there. I would never let my child wear that, no matter if there were bigger issues at hand. Race issues, respect and tolerance towards others are core values in my home. Being inappropriate DOES matter to me.

dcmom2b3
10-27-2009, 07:30 PM
I can't think of a better outcome. Thanks so much for posting.