PDA

View Full Version : New Target Return Policy

Pennylane
10-27-2009, 02:24 PM
Just saw this posted on AOL. Thought I would pass it on. Funny how it is not posted in stores yet though.

In a year long period you can exchange any item or items up to $70 as many times as you want, as compared to the previous cap of $35 and only two returns without receipts.

The changes also allow for using a gift registry as a receipt. If you've reached your $70 limit, Target will still let you have an even exchange without a receipt. Walmart, on the other hand, allows the exchange of three items without receipts in a 45-day cycle.

So, which is a better deal? Well, Walmart (http://www.walmart.com/returns) wins on clarity and a cleaner policy. The company clearly spells out the details of a receipt-less return on its Web site, unlike Target (http://www.target.com/b/ref=br_bx_0/180-4778961-2867504?ie=UTF8&node=13685491) which says it "allows a limited amount of no receipt refunds or exchanges for guests that don't have a receipt."

When asked why the company hasn't updated the policy changes on its Web site, Sonja Pothen, a Target spokeswoman, said it's because the company focuses on encouraging shoppers to always bring receipts for returns and exchanges.

Ann

vonfirmath
10-27-2009, 02:30 PM
I have never had a problem returning or exchanging anything at Wal-mart. I don't know what their policy is, it just has not affected me.

Target? Target is a pain.

egoldber
10-27-2009, 02:32 PM
I have never had a problem at Target. I always keep my receipts though.

ourbabygirl
10-27-2009, 02:33 PM
Really? I hardly ever shop at Wal-mart because I hate the feel of the stores inside (dingy, very few registers open, etc.), but I LOVE Target! I've returned numerous things in the past few months, and they're always so quick and simple, friendly & polite, and just great overall. I would much rather work with Target...

lchang25000
10-27-2009, 02:49 PM
Never had a problem with either places although I also keep my receipts, esp. those for big ticket items or clothing.

Globetrotter
10-27-2009, 03:41 PM
I guess they finally started listening to the feedback. Target return policy was one of the most ridiculous! (like not accepting registry items without a receipt or requiring you to buy something else THAT DAY from the same department)

calv
10-27-2009, 03:46 PM
so there is no limit as to HOW many times a year as long as each 'transaction' doesn't go over $70?

AnnieW625
10-27-2009, 03:52 PM
Thank goodness! I never returned much without a receipt (I keep receipts for months in my wallet; I am getting better), but I never thought much of their return policy for gift regristry items. I always thought the duplicate gifts from registries should count. The $70 unlimited return thing almost sounds too good to be true. I could see them doing $70 twice a year without a receipt, but unlimited just doesn't seem right.

sansdieu
10-27-2009, 04:10 PM
By the way, if you have misplaced your Target receipt (happens to me quite often), SA are able to look it up if you give them the credit card you've used. Fast, easy, and painless.

mariza
10-27-2009, 04:28 PM
Hmmm...I was there a few weeks ago returning some shoes I bought online and had a discussion with the CS rep about the return policy.
He said the new policy was a TOTAL $70 cap for the year. So technically, you could return 10 times per year as long as each return was only $7. Once you have a total of $70 in returns, no more under your license for that year. Still not a great policy from a CS point of view, I need clarification with Christmas coming!
Generally, I always have a receipt or the CC I paid with and never have a problem at Target but still you never know.

Twoboos
10-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Hmmm...I was there a few weeks ago returning some shoes I bought online and had a discussion with the CS rep about the return policy.
He said the new policy was a TOTAL $70 cap for the year. So technically, you could return 10 times per year as long as each return was only $7. Once you have a total of $70 in returns, no more under your license for that year. Still not a great policy from a CS point of view, I need clarification with Christmas coming!
Generally, I always have a receipt or the CC I paid with and never have a problem at Target but still you never know.

this is great news for me at the moment, I have a return I have to make (bought waaaaay more than 90 days ago and def don't have the receipt) and it will total $66!

AnnieW625
10-27-2009, 04:35 PM

that seems more like it! Still not great, but at least it's better than $35 for a whole year.

egoldber
10-27-2009, 04:41 PM
I don't understand what the $70 (or $35) applies to. I return WELL over that amount every year at Target.

SA are able to look it up if you give them the credit card you've used

They can do this within 90 days.

mariza
10-27-2009, 04:53 PM
It applies to returns without a reicpt. I also return (probably hundreds) of dollars per year, but not all gift givers give reciepts. Or in the case of one of my friends who never keeps receipts and relies of CC lookup, if you lose your CC or it expires and the bank sends you a new card you cannot use the CC lookup. Technically, it's the same account but if the numbers are different it won't work. I guess if you had the actual old number they could hand punch it in, but I know I'm not that organized.

TwinFoxes
10-27-2009, 04:59 PM
OK, I'm completely confused now. Do you mean you can return up to $70 without a receipt? I've never had to show a drivers license at Target to return something. And like pp, I have had Target "team members" look up the receipt via credit card with no problems.

ETA: Mariza was posting as I was, thanks Mariza!

NewMom2007
11-05-2009, 03:43 PM
this is great news for me at the moment, I have a return I have to make (bought waaaaay more than 90 days ago and def don't have the receipt) and it will total $66!

I have a shredder that I bought several months ago (like, January!), which stopped working. I no longer have the box and it was $30....I'd love to exchange it instead of having to send it back to the manufacturer to be replaced under their warranty (would like to avoid the shipping charges). Would I be able to return/exchange this under this policy?

I actually have the receipt, but wouldn't want to bring it if that means they won't take it b/c it's outside the 90 days.

Thanks!

Twoboos
11-05-2009, 03:50 PM
Well, what I needed to return isn't carried there anymore (I went to 3 Targets, and even though it's definitely no question a Target product - Our Generation Dolls - they now have new packaging and so they can tell the dolls were purchased more than 90 days ago!!) so I cannot return at all. I'm so annoyed.

Dunno what would happen with the shredder. You might have to lug it in and see what happens.

alien_host
11-05-2009, 04:03 PM
The $70 limit is for the year, returns w.out a receipt. I don't think credit card look up = no receipt b/c they find your receipt in the system, KWIM?

DrSally
11-05-2009, 04:11 PM
The $70 limit is for the year, returns w.out a receipt. I don't think credit card look up = no receipt b/c they find your receipt in the system, KWIM?

That's right, cc look up does doesn't count against you as a "no receipt". I'm not sure what they do after 90 days?

Twoboos
11-05-2009, 05:18 PM
That's right, cc look up does doesn't count against you as a "no receipt". I'm not sure what they do after 90 days?

Well, without the receipt if they can tell the item is more than 90 days old (as in my case - the pkg is different so probably the "model" number or something is not carried in the store anymore) they can say - sorry, no refund, credit, nothin'.

I am not sure but it seems that even after 90 days there is still no return at all. I had them look up my CC#, and they said even if they found it and it was more than 90 days they couldn't do anything.

vonfirmath
11-05-2009, 05:48 PM
Yeah, Target doesn't really want to be the warranty service for shoddy products. They want you to go back to the manufacturer if something breaks prematurely.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
11-05-2009, 06:38 PM
By the way, if you have misplaced your Target receipt (happens to me quite often), SA are able to look it up if you give them the credit card you've used. Fast, easy, and painless.

That is how I do it. I toss my Target receipts, as we only use one card.

happymom
11-05-2009, 06:54 PM

Me too! I find their returns to be a breeze. The only time I ever had problems was after I had DD and I used a lot of giftcards that I received as gifts (duh!). Then when I went to return, I had to dig for receipts. Otherwise, I never even bother because they can always find it on my card. So I guess their new policy only applies to something that you bought with cash/gift card AND dont have the receipt for.

DrSally
11-05-2009, 10:18 PM

Buuuut....The last time I went in, my transaction from a few days ago didn't show up. They said they were having some problems with their receipt lookup system. That has never happened to me, and it was a pain since I had to return later to do the return.

vonfirmath
11-06-2009, 12:42 AM
Note: if you lose your card/they replace your card (When it expires and they send you a new one with new dates), etc. Target will no longer be able to lookup.