PDA

View Full Version : Video camera suggestions.

SkyrMommy
10-27-2009, 04:43 PM
DH and I would like to start catching more of DD's funny moments on video, and have been using our old digital camera (yuck - think really small pictures, very blah) up 'til now. As an anniversary/Christmas present from us to us we'd like to get a nice video camera... We don't need it to take photographs, we have a really nice Pentax SLR digital for stills, both for DD and my photography.

What type to you all recommend? Any features we should be looking for?

Thanks!

kozachka
10-27-2009, 05:16 PM
I'd be following this thread as well. DH is eager to replace our almost 4 years old Sony video camera and I just did not get around to researching video cameras. In the past we've been happy with Sony and JVC cameras. I always check low-light performance reviews since we do shoot a lot inside.

Babymakes3
10-27-2009, 05:19 PM
I have a Samsung 34x optical zoom and really like it! It was a christmas gift last year and we use it often to catch all of ds's moments! It's also quite small so I am easily able to throw it in my diaper bag to take along with us on outings!

SkyrMommy
10-27-2009, 08:33 PM
check low-light performance reviews...

I never would have thought of that being a review to check. Thanks. Also we've been looking at Canon's but I've always thought of them more as a still digital camera company not video. We'll look into JVC, Samsung and Sony too.

The good thing is we have some time and want to get a good camera that will last for a while.

infomama
10-27-2009, 08:40 PM
What is your budget?

Personally I wouldn't go for anything that isn't flash or hard drive. I am currently transferring our mini DV's to DVD and it's so time consuming (also some quality is lost in translation, I think). Our next camcorder will be HD quality.

I am thinking we will have to spend in the area of 500-600 bucks (which means I will have to save for about 6 months). When purchasing electronics I always start at Cnet.com (http://reviews.cnet.com/camcorders/?tag=TOCleftColumn.0) (http://reviews.cnet.com/camcorders/?tag=TOCleftColumn.0) then cross check reviews with Amazon and the like.

I usually lean towards Sony and Canon.

SkyrMommy
10-27-2009, 09:04 PM
DH and I figured between $650-1,000 for one that will be HD and last... he's been checking out Canon for now and will move on to others soon. I'll send him along the link of reviews.

One of the complaints that I've seen the most for many models is the battery time is short. I figure we always have backups anyways so it's not that big of a deal, but didn't know if anyone has experienced that kind of issue.

Thanks!

Babymakes3
10-27-2009, 09:47 PM
Yes the battery life is short in them for whatever reason. I find that if I pop the battery out when i'm done with it it lasts much longer!