PDA

View Full Version : Another H1N1 vax thread. Is there going to be enough for kids to get their 2nd dose?

Laurel
10-27-2009, 06:17 PM
I'm starting to wonder if my kids will even be able to get their boosters in November.

arivecchi
10-27-2009, 06:18 PM
I cannot even get the first dose. My ped advised me today to try to find it elsewhere because they are getting such puny amounts.

elektra
10-27-2009, 06:25 PM
I was wondering that too. Although there were no mad lines when we got our first doses.

I have an old co-worker who has contact me twice about where I got my vax after I posted about it on FB. Dude is 30 years old, no kids, not caring for kids. It just seemed rude that he would be willing to "steal" someone's vax who is really at risk. Sheesh.
(Knowing him I'm not surprised though.)

marie
10-27-2009, 06:33 PM
DDs got their first dose yesterday and the ped isn't sure he'll have enough for second doses. as it is, he is rationing them for asthmatic patients and their siblings. he specifically asked me not to advertise that he has any!

a clinic was scheduled for this week at DD1's elementary school and it has been postponed to the first week of December due to lack of vaccines.

marie
mama to
DD1 9/03
DD2 12/07

KrisM
10-27-2009, 06:40 PM
I was wondering that too. Although there were no mad lines when we got our first doses.

I have an old co-worker who has contact me twice about where I got my vax after I posted about it on FB. Dude is 30 years old, no kids, not caring for kids. It just seemed rude that he would be willing to "steal" someone's vax who is really at risk. Sheesh.
(Knowing him I'm not surprised though.)

Maybe he has a health condition that puts him at risk. My friend appears perfectly healthy, but has Crohn's, so she and her husband got it as well as the kids.

elektra
10-27-2009, 06:52 PM
Maybe he has a health condition that puts him at risk. My friend appears perfectly healthy, but has Crohn's, so she and her husband got it as well as the kids.

True. Maybe I'll respond. He's just a selfish person in general and I assumed the worse. I should give him the benefit of the doubt (maybe). ;)

cvanbrunt
10-27-2009, 06:57 PM
My girls got their H1N1 on Friday. The 2yo got seasonal as well but they were out of seasonal for the 4yo. My ped said he won't have any to give them boosters and if they had it at one of those drugstore clinics in Nov. to get it then. Partial immunity is better than nothing is how he's looking at it.

MMMommy
10-27-2009, 08:06 PM
We're hoping just to get first shots for DDs. Their pediatrician's office has been out for some time. Waiting, waiting and more waiting for just their first dose even.

AlbrightRC
10-27-2009, 08:09 PM
We haven't been able to get the second dose of the seasonal for our son or either of the H1N1...guess we are just going on prayers around here.

citymama
10-27-2009, 08:50 PM
I suspect there will be, but not sure they will be here in a timely manner. The main issue seems to be delay in getting the vaccine cultures ready and shipped out. I haven't heard anything about overall reduction in expected shipments. So the total quantities during the flu season might be enough but will they be here soon enough for one dose, let alone 2 a month apart? Hmm, don't count on it.

sunshine873
10-27-2009, 09:05 PM
DD got the 1st dose of both the seasonal flu and H1N1 vax. I'm going to be really frustrated if she can't get the boosters and be protected. But, it's not going to do me any good to sit here and get angry about it. All I can do right now is wait until we get closer to the time for the booster and hope she can get it!

gatorsmom
10-27-2009, 09:11 PM
Our ped's office doesn't even have the H1N1 vax yet. I"m not even sure Minnesota has it yet!!! I know the hospital my dad is at has it so I"m tempted to take them to Wisconsin to get it.....

DrSally
10-27-2009, 09:59 PM
We don't even have it here yet. I am wondering the same thing. We got the seasonal flu vax for both kids, and now the ped's office says there out of it, so DS can't get his second seasonal flu dose. I wouldn't want them to get only one dose of H1N1 as it can make them more susceptible to H1N1.

vonfirmath
10-27-2009, 10:14 PM
Where did you read that 1 dose can make you more susceptible? What I am reading is that you only have partial protection at 1 dose. (Ie for some kids they need both doses to be fully protected)

And yes, most doctors are saying don't count on a second dose. I'm still trying to get the first for my 2 year old.

DrSally
10-27-2009, 10:30 PM
Where did you read that 1 dose can make you more susceptible? What I am reading is that you only have partial protection at 1 dose. (Ie for some kids they need both doses to be fully protected)

And yes, most doctors are saying don't count on a second dose. I'm still trying to get the first for my 2 year old.

Sorry, I don't have confirmation, it's just something I briefly read on another thread. I'll see if I can find it.

EAT: Here it is, post #8

vonfirmath
10-28-2009, 09:41 AM
Post #8 in this thread says nothing about it not being effective with just one dose.

And I'd look for more a authoritative voice than another commenter on these boards before I take it as gospel that one dose will be more harmful than 0.

wendibird22
10-28-2009, 10:49 AM
DD got the 1st dose 2 wks ago. Our ped said to call first to see if they have any left for the 2nd dose. They said some protection was better than none at all. I'm hoping that 2 more weeks allows for more time for more shipments and perhaps we'll get lucky.

brittone2
10-28-2009, 11:01 AM
Post #8 in this thread says nothing about it not being effective with just one dose.

And I'd look for more a authoritative voice than another commenter on these boards before I take it as gospel that one dose will be more harmful than 0.

I think she may have been referencing this thread, post #8.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=339105&highlight=dose+h1n1+cdc

Whether that is true or not, it is highly frustrating that the CDC, NIH, etc. provide such conflicting information.

arivecchi
10-28-2009, 11:05 AM

(Knowing him I'm not surprised though.) I'm with ya. The way they have distributed this vax is a disgrace. I see plenty of people announcing on FB that they got it and they are perfectly healthy adults. Meanwhile, I cannot get a shot for my 8 month old and 2 year old. Dandy. Idiots..... I am beyong annoyed.

egoldber
10-28-2009, 12:05 PM
reduced or no protection

I assume the PP was referring to this. I think what this means is that protection is reduced vs the optimal level, not that having one doses makes you more susceptible.

The research showed that with one dose, children under 10 had about a 30% (ish, I'm remembering off the top of my head) reduced level of flu cases vs placebo. This is why they suggest 2 doses, to get the full immune effect. Having one dose gives some protection, but not full protection.

It is definitely taking longer to produce the vaccine than was originally anticipated which has had a tremendous impact on the supply and distribution chain.

baileygirl
10-28-2009, 12:28 PM
I agree with Beth...I don't think it reads as it reduces your current levels of protection, but the shot doesn't offer a full rate of protection (or none at all). I believe I read somewhere from a study that it is 25% for the younger ones and 36% for older kids who need the 2 doses. I think someone here posted higher %s and I was hoping those would be right!

To answer the original question, I am hopeful my kids will be able to get the second dose next month. I may not be able to drive down to the ped's office to get it, but I am hopful I'll be able to find a clinic somewhere.

DrSally
10-28-2009, 10:15 PM

Oops, after all that searching, forgot to post the link to the thread I was referring to.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=339105&highlight=dose+h1n1+cdc

"more susceptible" was imprecise/inaccurate wording (it was late). I should've just quoted from the CDC quote, (some children may get) "Reduced or no protection" (from one dose). I really shouldn't try keep answering posts so late at night. So, sorry for the misstatement/typos/lack of link, etc.

geochick
10-28-2009, 11:21 PM
My 5yo got the first dose (mist). Exactly 2 weeks later, he's home with textbook H1N1 symptoms (has been for 3 days). Sigh. I'm not taking him in because he's battling it well, and I don't want to expose him to others unless he gets worse. We tried.

Wonder how long until my 3 year old gets it.

I hope the first dose of vaccine gives them at slightly better fight.