PDA

View Full Version : Where do you have your DC hair cut?

kozachka
10-27-2009, 06:30 PM
I am used to paying about $10 for DS haircut at a low- to medium-end place where we used to live before. We first went to a children hairsalon inside an upscale children clothing store but later switched to a place close to our home. We went to the same stylist and she did a nice job. Now that we moved to a high cost of living place, I am trying to decide whether to take DS to a barber shop or a full service salon. Normally I would take him to a Supercuts but this time DS is adamant about keeping his hair on the longer side and I am just not sure how good they would be about less than standard styles.

I'd be also curious to learn what do you think is a normal price range for a child's haircut. And how far you'd be willing to drive for a nicer place. I checked Yelp for recommendations but feel kind of silly driving DS more than a couple of miles for a haircut.

citymama
10-27-2009, 06:53 PM
We pay $15 at a pretty average kid's haircut place. DD loves it because you can sit in a toy car, get glitter in your hair, etc. I once gave her a disastrous haircut, so no more home hair cuts!

HIU8
10-27-2009, 06:55 PM
I take DS to cartoon cuts. The cut is $16.99 and the same lady has been cutting DS's hair for over a year now. DD still goes to my hairdresser. She has curly hair and I'm not letting just anyone cut it, so I pay more, but DD only gets a haircut about once every 4-6 months--whereas DS is every 4-5 weeks.

Gena
10-27-2009, 07:05 PM
I take DS to Cookie Cutters. It's the only place in the area that will take special needs kids who have a hard time with hair cuts. It's always a very difficult event for us, because no matter what we do DS will cry and fight through the whole thing. :cry:

I pay about $14 for the cut and usually tip $4-5. And I drive about 30 minutes to get there.

ellies mom
10-27-2009, 07:07 PM
My daughters have curly hair too, so I'm really picky about who cuts their hair. I take the oldest to my stylist and will take the youngest when the time comes. I pay about $20-25 but she does a great job so it is worth every penny and like Heather's daughter, it is only every 4-6 months.

crl
10-27-2009, 07:09 PM
When DS was little we went to a kids place because he was distracted by the video which made the haircut tolerable to him. We now go to a supercuts because it's cheaper and DH can get his hair cut at the same time. Honestly, the quality of cuts at both places has varied by stylist, but been mostly mediocre.

Catherine

Laurel
10-27-2009, 07:18 PM
$20 for the cut and $5 tip at a children's salon. This is for about 15-20 minutes of work. We're in a HCOL area.

Hmmm, maybe I should go to cosmetology school and open a children's salon.

baileygirl
10-27-2009, 07:38 PM
DS1 goes to the barber with DH. I believe with tip the cut is about $20, which is what we paid for him at a children's place. I think the barber does a better job then what they were doing at the children's place (it tended to end up uneven).

infomama
10-27-2009, 07:39 PM
I take Dd1 to the salon I go to. She is comfortable there and they do a nice job. I think I pay $12 a cut which is just fine with me.

kozachka
10-27-2009, 07:44 PM
Thank you for your responses, ladies. I just made an appointment for DS at a barber place that gets great review on Yelp. It's in the next town from us so not too long of a drive. They charge $15 from what I could gather from reviews and supposedly much better than Supercuts. I am keeping my fingers crossed that they would be able to come up with a cut that would be to my and DS liking who want to have the same style. Considering that most of my hair is shoulder length, it is not happening any time soon but I am not going to insist on a crew cut either.

awoodm
10-27-2009, 07:59 PM
My DS and DH used to go to the same barber shop together, but we recently are looking at ways to cut costs and that was one of the things that had to go. I think they spent about $38 each visit including tip, so I would guess DS's would be in the $12-15 range. Instead, I spent $45 on a nice set of clippers and am doing thier hair at home. No special style though, I don't think I'd feel totally comfortable with longer hair! It's working for us though.

KpbS
10-27-2009, 08:05 PM
We moved this summer as well. I went to the local kiddie haircut boutique upon the recommendation of a friend and the stylist did a terrible(!) job of cutting DS1's hair. I explained what I wanted and even remarked halfway through that it didn't look like she was going the way I explained. I recently went to Supercuts myself and saw several families request a specific woman to cut their DC's hair. I took DS1 there two weeks later and she did a fantastic job--esp. considering the horrible grown out cut she had to work with.

I'd stop by and observe (if you had the time) or ask the receptionist who is really good with kids.

SnuggleBuggles
10-27-2009, 08:08 PM
I found our place by word of moth. It is a woman who has been employed at several salons since ds1 was little, we follow her where ever. She now has a great suite and many of the people we know go to her. We pay $15.

Beth

brittone2
10-27-2009, 08:48 PM
DH cuts DS's in the backyard. How very redneck sounding that is as I type it ;)

Puddy73
10-27-2009, 09:55 PM
DS has a buzz cut, so he needs frequent trims. We either buzz it ourselves at home or he goes to the barber shop with DH ($9 plus tip).

blisstwins
10-27-2009, 10:56 PM
$32 at a place for kids (car seats and videos). I need to move.

kransden
10-28-2009, 12:15 AM
DD is wonderful at salons. We go to Fantastic Sams. They are reasonable ~10.00, keep their stylists and can take as long as they need. Great Clips has a 15 minute time limit.

kozachka
10-28-2009, 02:18 AM
Great Clips has a 15 minute time limit.

15 minute limit? Ouch... that does not sound like enough time for a haircut let alone a talk at the beginning as to what kind of cut you want. It was one of the places I was considering before I read reviews since they are 1) close, and 2) cheap at $10 for a child's cut.

kozachka
10-28-2009, 02:27 AM
I don't think I'd feel totally comfortable with longer hair!

Any particular reason why not? I can't think of any reason why not let DS have a say in the matter now that he is almost 6. I was thinking of a style similar to the one J Crew dark blond boy model is sporting here (http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/CrewCutBrowse/ShopKids/boys.jsp). And possibly something along the lines of the haircut in this picture (http://www.ralphlauren.com/contentPopup/index.jsp?productId=3774368&flashCol=College Navy&isFlash=true&largeImage) when DS hair gets longer.

tnrnchick74
10-28-2009, 05:29 AM
A place called Sports Clips. It's a "male" oriented salon - those people REALLY know men's haircuts! Its the only place I've found that can give DS a GOOD haircut that is short enough, that looks like a BOYS cut. He wears a high and tight...because his head is so oblong it looks weird other ways!

And the fact that he stays still because he's got 3-4 women gushing over him while he gets his hair cut doesn't hurt. He will definitely thank me in a few years. Cut is $13 + tip.

jerigirl
10-28-2009, 12:14 PM
double post.

jerigirl
10-28-2009, 12:15 PM
Any particular reason why not? I can't think of any reason why not let DS have a say in the matter now that he is almost 6. I was thinking of a style similar to the one J Crew dark blond boy model is sporting here (http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/CrewCutBrowse/ShopKids/boys.jsp). And possibly something along the lines of the haircut in this picture (http://www.ralphlauren.com/contentPopup/index.jsp?productId=3774368&flashCol=College Navy&isFlash=true&largeImage) when DS hair gets longer.

I may be wrong but I took that comment to mean she wouldn't be comfortable cutting longer hair. Not a comment on your son's hair length.

I just take DS to the lady that cuts my hair. She charges $10. DH usually gets his cut on his lunch hour so He can't really take DS with him.

kozachka
10-28-2009, 11:42 PM
We got charged $25 for DS haircut today. I also left $5 tip since it took almost an hour to cut his hair. Not sure whether it was because he has not had a cut in 3 months or because DS changed his mind about the cut and decided on shorter do at the end. The guy that worked on DS was wonderful and we both loved the end result so it was worth it.

nrp
10-29-2009, 12:08 AM
I used to take the kids to a kids salon that was around $20 each, including tip. I didn't feel it was too expensive, but it was just a hassle, so I bought some good shears (regular and texturizing) and I do it at home now. DD is easy, just straight across, shoulder length. I initially planned to bring DS in every other or every third time to get it shaped up but it has turned out pretty decently so far. We have a set of clippers for DH (he buzzes his head), but I haven't been brave enough yet to use them on DS.

youngmommy
10-29-2009, 12:10 AM
Sorry I can't help for your situation, but maybe someone else who's browsing this thread would appreciate my approach: I cut both my DD's hair at home. I bought some inexpensive (~$18) hair-cutting scissors at Sally's, along with a cheap adjustable cape (can fit adults or kids), a spray bottle, very fine comb and some hair clips. Works well for us. I sit them on a high, backless stool, and put on a new movie from the library to distract them. Super cheap, and we can take baths right after the hair cut. I don't have any problems with tantrums or anything. By the time I get halfway through cutting my 5 yr old dd's hair, my 2 year old is begging and pleading to go next!

I have also cut some friends' hair. I can only do basic cuts though.
I've also never done boys hair. Don't have a DS yet. Still hoping for one in the future. :o)
Good luck finding a place that works well for you!