PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here get sinus infections?

bubbaray
10-27-2009, 07:28 PM
In 2008 I had a 6m "chronic" SI, that finally my doc was able to beat into submission by having me wean DD#2 and giving me Avelox. I've had a few (1 or 2?) random SI's since then, have had Avelox knock them out.

Well, I'm sick AGAIN (ugh -- October has SUCKED) and since yesterday have been on Avelox (again) and Fucidin for an resulting eye infection. Sigh.

Anyway, I googled Avelox and holy smokes, Batman. Scary poop. I can't remember the names of the drugs my dr tried in 2008, but none of them worked, even a 21 day course of one of them.

So, others out there who battle sinus infections, what drugs do your dr's prescribe?

FTR, my doc thinks mine is related to my allergies, which she thinks have screwed up my sinuses. I am taking Nasonex year round this year, but it didn't work to prevent this bout. I do the neti pot thing, but honestly, I think it just pushes the bacterial up into my eye area, resulting in nasty eye infections.

hollybloom24
10-27-2009, 07:36 PM
Avelox for me. Before that I took z-paks which are no longer effective for me. I have been on Avelox six times this year for sinusitis.

I had a CT scan last month and my sinus drainages are blocked, and it has been suggested by my ORL that I have surgery to unblock the drains. My husband is having a colleague look at the CT to confirm he agrees before I schedule the surgery. I have had such bad sinus aches that I literally vomit. The surgery is day surgery and recovery time is 2-3 days.

I was told by my ORL no neti pot because it introduces new germs to the area.

I am sorry you are going through this!!!

bubbaray
10-27-2009, 07:42 PM
I've had a sinus x-ray, but no CT. The x-ray was normal. My doc says there isn't much point in a referral to an ENT (though she'll do one if I want) unless I'm willing to have surgery. I've heard its not pleasant surgery. She says I'm not getting enought SIs per year for her to recommend the surgery.

Did you get any warnings from the dr/pharmacy with the Avelox? I seem to remember one with my first Rx about the tendon issue, but never heart issues. If you haven't, do NOT Google it.

OMG, I just want this @#$% ice pick out of my head. AND, I want my eye to feel normal. At this point, I'm not sure which is worse, the sinus pain or the eye pain. Not to mention, I look like a freak my left eye is so red. My work sent me home to work at home for the rest of the week (normally I can only WAH 2d/w). I think I grossed them out. :(

mom2binsd
10-27-2009, 07:50 PM
I've had them in the past, Zithromax (z-pac) for 5 days usually does it..recently both kids had sinus infections, one we used the z-pac the other child just amoxicillin.

They are pesky....and so painful but not obvious to others like a cold/flu etc!

Hope you are feeling better, you have had a tough couple of months!!!!!!!!!!

crl
10-27-2009, 07:55 PM
I had a bunch a long time ago--I guess about 12 years ago. I had moved to an area with high mold/pollen/etc counts and I was working in a carpeted office with a mold problem. I went to the allergist and got on allegra and one of the nose sprays. I don't think I've had a single sinus infection since.

Catherine

boogiemom
10-27-2009, 08:37 PM
UGH! Sinus infections suck! I get them frequently, have a chronic sinus infection in 2 of my 3 sinus cavities. My ENT recommended surgery but I heard a lot of negative experiences..pain...length of recovery....issues recurring.....so I tried the neti pot maybe 2 years ago. I don't use it unless I feel a sinus infection coming on but then I immediately begin using it 2x a day. I actually use one of the squeeze bottle ones so I can get more pressure thru my passages. This has changed my life! I can not count the number of times in years past that I had to drive to the Dr. while feeling like crap and then to the pharmacy for a prescription that took several days to get me close to normal.

Typically, I go to bed fine and wake up with a full-blown SI. I will use my neti-pot/bottle immediately upon wakening and I feel much better much quicker than I ever felt with prescriptions. Good Luck!

etaylor75
10-27-2009, 08:57 PM
Just wanted to chime in about the Neti Pot - I was getting recurring sinus infections and my yoga teacher recommended the Neti Pot. I haven't had a sinus infection since using it....you can find one at a health food store/ Whole Foods and learn to use it one You Tube.

Good Luck - sinus infections are the worst!
Erin

LarsMal
10-27-2009, 09:04 PM
I'll just throw this out there--- have you had your wisdom teeth out? I used to get chronic sinus infections. When I was 22 I got my wisdom teeth out and I've only had 2 sinus infections since then (10 years!). I guess the impacted teeth were the culprit.

Just a thought.

For allergies I've done the Claritin/Singulair combo with good results. Claritin in the morning and Singulair at night.

Hope you feel better soon. SI are NO fun!

bubbaray
10-27-2009, 09:10 PM
Christmas break when I was 16, those suckers came out.... Thanks, though.

tmarie
10-27-2009, 09:11 PM
I just took antibiotics for my fourth sinus infection this year, a few weeks ago. So sorry you are going through this! I used to take the zpac but it doesn't seem to be effective anymore. This time the ENT prescribed Ceftin (sp?). It was not bad in terms of side effects and seemed to work. I have suffered from terrible allergies since I moved to the Midwest for dh's job (grrrrrr) and am very allergic to mold--this is the worst time of year for that allergy. Some years are worse than others for me and this is one of those years. I regularly use a neti pot and also take zyrtec, singulair, and veramyst (I only use the veramyst during my worst times of the year).

I am about to start allergy shots to try and get this under control. My ENT did not recommend surgery.

Hope you feel better soon!
tmarie

bubbaray
10-27-2009, 09:28 PM
I am about to start allergy shots to try and get this under control.

This is actually what my dr recommended. Do they do them for mold, though? I too am very allergic to mold (which is hilarious given that I live in a freakin' rain forest!).