PDA

View Full Version : ARGH. H1N1 and DD's birthday party

khalloc
10-27-2009, 09:51 PM
DD is having a birthday party at an indoor fun-center in a week. To be honest I hadnt even thought of H1N1. But just got a message from one mother, who previously said her DD would come saying she wasnt sure now because she is nervous about H1N1 and worrying what the place is doing to prevent the spread of it. I understand where she is coming from but I feel bad for my DD. I have only received 1-2 postive replies so far and 1 negative. This mother not included. I hope that her party isn't a flop because parents are worried about H1N1. I wish I had thought of that earlier and chose a different place to have the party. I dont know if my DD would have gone for someplace else because she insisted on this place.

My DD is in daycare fulltime so hopefully the other parents (whose kids all go to daycare with DD) figure they are already exposed enough.

Also, why dont people RSVP in a timely manner? I still have 1.5 weeks to go, so I know there is plenty of time to get more replies. I am just bummed and worried I am going to hear this reason more.

SnuggleBuggles
10-27-2009, 10:01 PM
You know, for me nothing has been sadder than having one of ds1's parties flop. He didn't seem to mind but I felt terrible when 2 out of the 14 invited guests came to our Christmas cookie exchange party. Hardly any had the consideration to even RSVP. My heart hurt for him.

If it's any consolation, I would have ds go to a party at an indoor fun center. Germs are every where and I choose not to change our life in case some germs are out there. I hope you get some + RSVPs. At the 1 week to go mark I would start calling or emailing.

Good luck!!
Beth

maestramommy
10-27-2009, 10:40 PM
I'm sorry, that really sucks:hug::hug:

The girls and I just got our (regular) flu shots, but even before we went to a party at a Chuck E Cheese. I figure if the kids can go to school, they can go to a party. Just have them wash their hands before they eat, y'know?

khalloc
10-28-2009, 08:30 AM
Thanks. Last year I think I only gotabout 2 positive replies. Last year I put "RSVP Regrets ONLY" on the invite thinking that then the people who werent coming would definitely call to tell me that. But nope. I still had about 3 parents not show up and not call to tell me that. I put my phone + email down.

So this year I just put RSVP w/ my phone and email. So far one parent has emailed. One told me NO in person yesterday, one said Maybe because she was having surgery Thursday so it depends how she feels, then this other mother, who previously said yes, told me she is having doubts. (she does have 3 kids and her DH is away for training until late Dec. So I totally understand her not wanting her kids to get real sick.

I just hope more people show up. We invited about 14 or 15. I would like at least 8 to show. My nephews will most likely come at least. So thats 2 more. But I think it will be real important to my DD (who is turning 4) to have her school friends come.

WHY DONT PEOPLE RSVP?

sarahsthreads
10-28-2009, 09:21 AM
We would come! DD1's birthday party was at our house this past weekend, and I did briefly think about all the germs people would be bringing with them. DH joked that we should put out large bottles of Purell next to the food, but we didn't. One family didn't wind up coming because their son was sick...with H1N1. The kids are going to be exposed to each others' germs at school anyway, so there's no point in avoiding a party, right?

And I totally get the RSVP annoyance. Can you start calling people? You can always tell them that the venue needs final numbers soon or something...

Sarah :)