PDA

View Full Version : Face painting for Halloween? You may want to reconsider...

elliput
10-27-2009, 10:28 PM
After years of hearing "skip the mask, use face paint it's safer ", we now get Toxins Make Halloween Face Paints Scary (http://health.msn.com/health-topics/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100247626&GT1=31036).

Doesn't it just figure? :hopmad:

edurnemk
10-27-2009, 10:36 PM
I was just wandering about the safety of face paint this morning, thanks for posting this.

KrisM
10-27-2009, 10:59 PM
Remember the new lead law in children's stuff that was causing resale shops to close, libraries to test books for lead, etc? Why can it be sold as something kids can use if it has lead in it? I am confused about that.

elliput
10-27-2009, 11:07 PM
Remember the new lead law in children's stuff that was causing resale shops to close, libraries to test books for lead, etc? Why can it be sold as something kids can use if it has lead in it? I am confused about that.
LOL! DH just said the same thing.

lkarp
10-27-2009, 11:31 PM
For those wanting to use face paints you may want to consider these:

Whoops Bunny All Natural Make Up Sticks - Set 5
http://whoopsbunny.com/store/product.php?productid=70&cat=6&page=1

Not traditional halloween colors, but will work for fairies, butterflies, etc.

citymama
10-28-2009, 12:31 AM
I've been looking for non-toxic face paint for years. I've started at least 2 or maybe 3 threads on the topic on these boards. No one ever had any suggestions! I finally bought some at a local toy store made by a company called Amos which is supposed to be non-toxic/lead-free face paint. It looks like it is sold in the UK, Australia and South Africa, and made in Korea. I just need the black to paint DD's whiskers on Saturday night. Fingers crossed it won't irritate her.

But what about the FP used at carnivals, parties, etc - I think mostly Klutz products? I might contact the authors of this study to find out. Oh, and a fair amount of women's make up contains lead, so don't go using your kohl or mascara to paint your kid's face.

citymama
10-28-2009, 12:32 AM

FP that contains lead is required to state that it does. Try buying FP at Target - it all says "not suitable for children under 12. contains lead." So unless it is a totally fly-by-night brand, it is likely to disclose lead content.