PDA

View Full Version : Please explain the USPS package/signature delivery to me?

MontrealMum
10-27-2009, 11:14 PM
I have shipped something (small) expedited shipping from Canada, to the US insured, and requiring a signature. I have a tracking number. It should be delivered by the USPS on that end, not a specialty shipping company. It arrived at the delivery office last Mon. and its status has not changed since then. I have no idea how package delivery works in the US - it's been so long since I've lived there. Does this mean that it's waiting to go out on a truck? Or, that it's been out, the person wasn't at home to sign, and it will either go out again? or the person must go into their post office to sign for it. I'm just a little puzzled and worried since it's now been over a week and it's still not "delivered". Canada Post can't clear it up, as the only info they have this end (since it's left the country) is what's available to me as well via the tracking number. Thanks if you made it through that convoluted story :)

KrisM
10-27-2009, 11:18 PM
Usually, if the carrier has attempted delivery, the tracking will say that. If a signature is required and no one is home, a notice is left and the package returns to the post office.

You could call the USPS - 1-800-ASK-USPS. They might help.

MontrealMum
10-27-2009, 11:21 PM
Thanks Kris, I was hoping you'd answer! I think I'll call the USPS tomorrow.

KrisM
10-27-2009, 11:29 PM
We got a package with Signature required last week. Coming from the US.

Tracking number shows this:
Your item was delivered at 4:10 PM on October 23, 2009 in City, MI zip. The item was signed for by (my name).

Detailed Results:
http://trkcnfrm1.smi.usps.com/PTSInternetWeb/images/spacer.gifhttp://trkcnfrm1.smi.usps.com/PTSInternetWeb/images/spacer.gifDelivered, October 23, 2009, 4:10 pm, City, MI zip
Notice Left, October 23, 2009, 11:58 am, City, MI zip
Out for Delivery or Available at PO Box, October 23, 2009, 10:19 am, City, MI zip
Sorting Complete, October 23, 2009, 9:49 am, City, MI zip
Arrival at Post Office, October 23, 2009, 9:13 am, City, MI zip
Processed through Sort Facility, October 22, 2009, 2:36 pm, ROMULUS, MI 48174
Processed through Sort Facility, October 22, 2009, 12:27 am, WARRENDALE, PA 15086
Electronic Shipping Info Received, October 21, 2009

Read from the bottom up. The "delivered" is when I went to the post office to sign for it.

MontrealMum
10-27-2009, 11:33 PM
See, that's what I'm used to seeing in our (Canadian) tracking system too. I don't know if they can't display more than that because it's left CanadaPost to be delivered by USPS? I guess it can't hurt to call and see if they have more on that end. Because sitting in the "delivery facility" for 7 business days (I guess it's 9 down there) seems like a lot to me. I also don't want it to be shipped back up here. Our P.O. has something like a 2 weeks limit on undelivered packages, which is why I'm beginning to worry a bit.

MontrealMum
10-27-2009, 11:37 PM
Ooo, on a hunch I typed my Canada Post tracking number into the USPS system and it actually registered! Wow! Wish the airlines would do that ;) Unfortunately it doesn't say more than it arrived on the 19th. Will call tomorrow.

KrisM
10-28-2009, 11:33 PM
Did you have any luck?