PDA

View Full Version : Our TV is POSESSED!!!!!

Veronica's Mommy
10-28-2009, 12:03 PM
DH noticed a few nights ago. He & DD were watching a movie on Cartoon Network. He was complaining that it was dubbed into Spanish and back into English. I thought- that's odd. Same thing happened the next day, a different kids movie, same channel. But then last night we were watching Great Pumpkin on ABC & the same thing, but very faint this time. Now it's getting weird. This morning, Reba on Lifetime- VERY loud dubbing. It's like a Spanish & English track are running simultaneously. Put it on Dora for DD, no Spanish track, but the audio was echoing, as if two English tracks were playing together.
Then I start remembering other times when I would hear a sound like a very quiet radio was playing, and now I'm switching channels looking for it. Then of all places, Max & Ruby- I hear speaking voices very quietly. I turn up the volume and realize, someone is NARRATING the story! "Max knocks the eggs onto the floor", etc. WTF?? Is this my TV or something in the signals where I'm picking up extra audio tracks (Spanish and apparently for blind people, which I never knew they did). I haven't noticed it on my shows, but then mostly I watch with low volume & captions while the kids are sleeping. Don't hear anything while watching DVDs.
We have a 2nd TV that's not hooked up. We'll have to check that out later, I don't have the energy to drag it out of the garage right now. I guess that will answer my questions.
But still, HOW BIZARRE!!! Has this ever happened to anyone??

Claki
10-28-2009, 12:12 PM
Years and years ago we somehow turned a setting on our TV that allowed the narration for blind people to come through. I don't remember how we fixed it, but yes, it has happened to us. I think it was mostly PBS that had the narration.

sariana
10-28-2009, 12:19 PM
It sounds as though your TV's signals are getting crossed somehow. I have never heard of this happening, but I guess it makes sense if some electrical signal is getting messed up (<--how's that for a technical term?).

The first thing I would try is to turn off your TV completely. As in unplug it from the wall. Most TVs stay in "sleep" mode even when turned off. By completely cutting the power, you may force the TV to "reboot" or whatever the equivalent is for TVs. Maybe this will reset whatever is causing the problem. Be sure to leave it unplugged for a couple of minutes before powering up again.

Also check all your menu settings, though it sounds as though something is not working properly, not that you have it on the wrong setting. But it doesn't hurt to check.

deannanb
10-28-2009, 12:22 PM
we had the same thing happen

You should have an SAP ("Special Access Program") control on you - look on your tv settings (TV remote - not DVR) - change it to English

hth

Veronica's Mommy
10-28-2009, 01:30 PM
Thank you! It was the SAP. Took some experimenting to figure out how to change it, but I got it. Thanks!