PDA

View Full Version : what halloween goodies is your dc passing out at school?

skohng
10-28-2009, 12:22 PM
still have to get candy or goodies for my 4yo to pass out at his preschool h-ween party. i would like to get something non-candy, but i don't want ds to be known as "that" kid who passed out, like, pencils. (half-joking, b.c i think it's a good treat, and no offense to any parents who are sending pencils to school!)

so what other options are there? or any alternative food/snack options?

firstbaby
10-28-2009, 12:29 PM
We hit our Michael's and got each kid a mini puzzle, 2 temp tattoos and a halloween cookie cutter. The puzzles came in a pack of 12 for $1 and the tattoos were a pack of 24 for $1. The cookie cutters were around $3 for a pack of 8. So for $8 I got enough for the whole class plus siblings (who are allowed to attend). HTH.

skohng
10-28-2009, 12:35 PM
thanks for the tip! sounds like good loot.

babybunny
10-28-2009, 12:40 PM
I am that parent. I am handing our pencils (and pencil toppers that are stampers) in a goody bag with halloween packaged pretzels and a mini candy bar or two. Is that bad?

We did tatoos last year and the glow in the dark sticks that turn into necklaces. But those activate easily if you bend them. Glow in the dark sticks might be better.

One warning note - Target sold mini Halloween flashlights 3 for $1 - they were recalled because they can catch on fire. Also recalled their halloween flashlight with the plastic overlays that sold for about $2.50.

Corie
10-28-2009, 12:46 PM
I am that parent. I am handing our pencils

I am that parent too! My kids love school supplies so pencils are huge
for them. :)

I put their Halloween treats in a Halloween ziploc bag.

Each bag contains:

*Halloween stencils from Walmart (it is a hard plastic ruler-type stencil
with 3-4 stencils on it)
*Halloween pencil
*candy Fun Dip
*crazy googly eyes
*a sheet of Halloween stickers
*Halloween parachute guy (ghost, witch, frankenstein, etc.)

vonfirmath
10-28-2009, 12:48 PM
Mini Playdough containers are excellent for this age! 20 for $4 at Big Lots, Wal-mart, etc.

...Each kid is expected to hand out the equivalent of a birthday goody bag to all the other kids? those kids are going to end up with a LOT of stuff.

Another idea: Frosty coupons at Wendy's!

happy2bamom
10-28-2009, 12:51 PM
DS is handing out free french fry coupons from BK. I know it isn't healthy, and I worry that parents will feel obligated to buy other food items at BK, but it is the only thing I could think of at the time. A pack 8 is $1.

babybunny
10-28-2009, 01:00 PM
There is a sign-up sheet for the parents a few weeks before each party. There are slots for food items, juice, napkins, plates, etc as well as the goody bag items. Usually the food items are breakfast items like fruit salad, pancakes, etc.
There are actually more food items requested for the actual party than goody bag item requests.

I used to sign up for the food items and do the goody bag too. Now I just sign up to bring a goody bag item. I realized that some parents signed up for nothing consistently if the food items are taken first. Does that make sense?

vonfirmath
10-28-2009, 01:11 PM
There is a sign-up sheet for the parents a few weeks before each party. There are slots for food items, juice, napkins, plates, etc as well as the goody bag items. Usually the food items are breakfast items like fruit salad, pancakes, etc.
There are actually more food items requested for the actual party than goody bag item requests.

I used to sign up for the food items and do the goody bag too. Now I just sign up to bring a goody bag item. I realized that some parents signed up for nothing consistently if the food items are taken first. Does that make sense?

Yes. That makes a lot more sense. I thought every child was bringing something to pass out. (like Valentine's Day)

SnuggleBuggles
10-28-2009, 01:13 PM
How about bags of pretzels, Goldfish, Cheddar Bunnies or something like that?

Beth

Tondi G
10-28-2009, 01:38 PM
My 8 year old will be giving out a halloween themed pencil and a Kit Kat!

You can do...
Granola Bars
Bags of pretzels/goldfish/teddy grahams
mini Playdoh (Target has them on their weekly mailer this week)
stickers
temp tattoos

Jen841
10-28-2009, 01:55 PM
1st Grade - not bringing in class treats. I did send in 25 sharpened pencils for the class to use this week b/c I had bought them (they are in the stage that school supplies are COOL!)

Daycare/Preschool - again they requested us not to bring in class treats, just what we sign up for at the party. I have McD's gift certs (12 for $1) just in case ready.

Corie
10-28-2009, 02:45 PM
...Each kid is expected to hand out the equivalent of a birthday goody bag to all the other kids?

It's not expected by any means. I just do it for fun and the kids like passing
out goody bags that we made.

Most people don't do the goody bags.

My friends always make fun of me for doing them.

lilycat88
10-28-2009, 02:56 PM
DDs school doesn't celebrate Halloween so, no party.

bubbaray
10-28-2009, 03:00 PM
DD#1's K teacher specifically wrote to parents asking that they NOT send anything in for Halloween or any other event. In particular, not food, but also nothing else. I guess b/c some kids do and some kids don't and people feel bad.

Corie, you and I must be related. I LOVE doing loot bags. Well, past tense I guess.

skohng
10-28-2009, 03:11 PM
wow! great ideas here ... i love that those of you who are handing out non-food snuck in a pretzel or mini candy bar ;)

I was thinking about doing mini playdough too -- thanks to the PPs who posted about walmart and target. am debating just going to costco and getting goldfish/fruit snacks too.

bnme
10-28-2009, 03:30 PM
I am all for healthy and non-edible treats but Halloween means candy for me!

I have been through 5 preschool classes, kindy, and now 1st grade for my oldest and kindy for my youngest. It always varies as to what the teacher allows and what the majority of the parents do.

This year my 1st grader's class is decorating treat bags so parents can bring in a treat to pass out at the party. I am sure some will bring in one item (like a single funsize candy bar), and some will bring loot bags, there will be candy, and pencils, etc. And some will bring nothing. My son's kindergarten class only allows a few parents per party (we sign up at the start of the year) and thoose parents plan the entire party. I emailed the teacher and asked if we could send anything in. She said me and one other parent were sending in goodie bags.

I made the same bag for both classes. I made "orange chocolate" pumpkin lollipops, fun dip, gummy Goosebump candy, spider/bat ring.

skohng
10-28-2009, 05:18 PM
FYI:

Kohl's has the 20-pack of play doh for $2.39!! I'm going to pick up a couple packs tomorrow (maybe some extra for the diaper bag and future party favors!) and throw in some starburst or gummy spiders or whatnot.

whoo hoo! love a good deal.