PDA

View Full Version : Grandparent name ideas

star04
10-28-2009, 12:38 PM
I was wondering what some of your DCs call their grandparents...like Nanny, Papaw, Granny, Grandpa, etc.

AnnieW625
10-28-2009, 12:43 PM
Elisa calls our parents her Grandma and Grandpa. She sometime includes my mom's first name after Grandma. She doesn't see DH's parents much so she hasn't put names after Grandma and Grandpa. We call her two great grandma's Nana, and she just calls her great grandpa, grandpa also.

larig
10-28-2009, 12:43 PM
grams & papaw; grandmother & granddaddy (these were the grandparents' choices)

buddyleebaby
10-28-2009, 12:50 PM
The grandmothers are Grandma and Yeya.
The grandfathers are Pop Pop and Chepe.

jillc
10-28-2009, 12:50 PM
Grandparents:
Mimi & Grandpa
Nana & Pop Pop

Great-grandparents:
Noni & Papa
Gram

SkyrMommy
10-28-2009, 12:52 PM
Grandma & Grandpa with first names after for both my and DH's parents.

On my side Great-Grandma we call Nana & on DH's side, Bopchi (grandmother in Polish)

Corie
10-28-2009, 12:53 PM
My kids call my dad, Papa.

My kids call my step-mom, Nana.

MamaMolly
10-28-2009, 12:59 PM
Messy family, so lots of names.

My mom: Bar-Bar or Grandma Bar-Bar

My Dad: Fargus (long story...)
Step Mom: Granny

MIL: Nana (the only one DD came up with!)
FIL: Gran-fadder

GreatG1: Guh-granma Ka-Cloy (great grandma McCloy)
Great G2: Guh- Grammie (great grammie)

elektra
10-28-2009, 01:01 PM
My kids just call my parents Grandma and Grandpa (currently comes out as "Gamma" and "Gampa")
But in our family there are also:
Mummi (what we all call SIL's mom who is from Finland. It sounds like "Moomi")
Tita (what DH called his grandmother. He could not say "Abuelita")
Oma and Opa (what I called my grandparents, as the first grandkids on my dad's side had a German father)
Papa T (DH's grandfather's name started with a "T". I like the sound of this one.)

KHF
10-28-2009, 01:01 PM
Mimi and Poppa.

arivecchi
10-28-2009, 01:03 PM
paternal: nanna and gampa
maternal: abu (Spanish)

crl
10-28-2009, 01:04 PM
We asked what people wanted to be called and went with that.

MIL = Nana firstname (though she is now calling herself Nanny firstname--whatever)
FIL = PopPop

My Mom = Nana Firstname
My Dady = Grandpa

My grandparents were Granny, Mama (pronounced maw-maw) and Papa (pronouced paw-paw).

Catherine

fortato
10-28-2009, 01:08 PM
My mother is - Damma- (Jack couldn't do the G sound, so he called her Damma instead of Grandma- and it stuck.)
My dad was- Grampa, but he passed when Jack was 8 mos. old.

DH's parents are Gram and Papa.

TwinFoxes
10-28-2009, 01:14 PM
Mimi and Poppa.

Wow, this is what my nephew calls my dad, and my mom before she passed! I've never heard anyone use both those exact names before.

Sadly my mom and DH's dad both passed away before the girls were born :( I call my MIL grandmama when I refer to her. And I refer to my dad as grandpa, but I don't talk about him very much if at all.

wellyes
10-28-2009, 01:26 PM
Grammy and Grampy
Granma and Granpa

Melaine
10-28-2009, 01:30 PM
Grandpa and YaYa
Papa and Ahmama (just the way they pronounce Grandmama)

kedss
10-28-2009, 01:30 PM
my ds calls my mom 'Mama Baa' (she has a sheep farm), and my dad Pop-Pop (traditional on that side of the family) and my step mom is Gramma Sarah. :)

vludmilla
10-28-2009, 01:31 PM
DD calls maternal grandmother "Nanna". This was my mother's preference.
Maternal grandfather is "grandpa John"
Paternal grandfather is " P Pa"
Paternal grandmother is just grandma

awoodm
10-28-2009, 01:46 PM
Maternal- Nonnie and Hawhee (DS had speech issues, so that's how it first came out, and it stuck)

Paternal- Nana and Pappy

alexsmommy
10-28-2009, 01:49 PM
My parents - Grandma and Grandpa - occasionally "Grammy".

His father, Paw-paw - which (no offense to anyone who uses this) I just don't like. Luckily, my Chicago boys are turning it into something closer to "Papa". Paw-Paw was established before my kids were on the scene.

My grandmother is "Nana".

secchick
10-28-2009, 01:57 PM
My parents are called Oma and Opa (German family background on my side).

SammyeGail
10-28-2009, 02:30 PM
I was the youngest of 5 and had my boys at 33, but my neices and nephews called my parents:

Mom: Maw-Maw, and she signed it that way
Dad: Paw-Paw, but he signed his PaPa.

My older sister who is now a grandmother chose to be called 'Nana'.

My DH's children from his first marriage called my IL's 'Grandma Last Name' and 'Grandpa Last Name'. When talking they refered to all of their grandparents the same way, 'Grandxx Last Name'. I had never heard of that, found it to be a bit formal, but whatever worked for them....like other PPs mentioned, a first name added would have been a bit more intimate, just my humble opinion.

Samantha

maydaymommy
10-28-2009, 02:37 PM
My parents were fairly obsessed with what they would be called. Started talking about it the day the found out I was expecting.

They started with Gramps and Grammy. My Dad changed what he wanted like 5 times, my mother pushed all along for Mom-Mom, but I kept saying it was too close to Mommy, and I was the Mother! Finally they settled on something. They are:

Pop-Pop & Mom-Mom

DH's parents are more mellow about those things. They say the kids can call them whatever they want to call them (just not late to dinner, hardy har har).
We started calling the Grandpa First Name & Grandma First Name.
Very quickly DS turned "Grandpa" into "Ba-boo." I may have pushed it a little, but Grandma ended up being "Ma-moo."

So, they remain Ba-boo & Ma-moo.

How cute it that??

Of course, my father is jealous now of Baboo's name, and if he had just let DS make up his own name for him, who knows what he would have come up with.

Just to illustrate how important the names were to my parents, each of them gave DS $100 the first time he said their "name."

ThreeofUs
10-28-2009, 02:44 PM
My nieces and nephews called my mom "Red". As in, "we're going over to Red's house".

I have friends who call their g'mom "Pretty".

Clarity
10-28-2009, 02:56 PM
My mom is Grammy K
My step is Papoo (Greek for Grandfather)

My dad is Grandpa (my ss's kids call him pap)
My step mother is Grandma Sue (Her dd's kids call her Memaw - I HATE Memaw - sounds like a donkey. I think she's like my dd's to call her that, but I really just hate it! :thumbsdown:)

Paternal Great Grandma is G.G.
Paternal Great Grandpa is Pappap

Maternal Great Grandma is Grandma Lastname

boolady
10-28-2009, 03:08 PM
Grammy & Gramps.
Grandpop.

lizzywednesday
10-28-2009, 03:22 PM
We have a well-established (by request, no less) nomenclature for DH's parents, who are Mom-Mom & Pop-Pop to his nieces & nephew.

They call my FIL's mother "Nana," which was my suggestion when my then 2-year-old niece rejected every variation of "Great Grandma" (even my MIL's suggestion of "GiGi") ... and it stuck. Nana it is. (Of course, that's what my brothers, sister, cousins and I called our Dads' mom - Nana. To my sibs and I, Dad's dad was "Pop" but to our cousins, he was "Grandpa" as their mom's dad was pretty much nonexistent while they were kids.)

On my side, it gets complicated:

My parents are divorced; my mother is remarried.

I am reluctant to encourage my children to call my step-dad "Grandpa" because I believe that's a very special name for my own Dad, if he wants it. Or unless my sister chooses a name for him first ... her baby is due any day now, so I guess she gets dibs! (This is a very weird feeling for me, as I am the oldest and she is the youngest!)

However, they will also have a Nana (my Dad's mom) and Babu & Grandpa (Mom's parents ... we are Slovak on Mom's side and that's what Mom's Mom suggested to her 1st great-grandchild ... it's somehow devolved to "Bobby", though I tried to Yiddishize it to "Bubbie") ... so I am starting to get ideas.

I'm thinking for the step-dad, it should be "Grampy" and his first name (this is what DH's SIL does for her divorced-and-remarried parents' spouses; "Grammy" is the feminine form) ... my other option is to try to mirror what his biological grandkids do for my mom, but that gets sticky because my SD's ex-wife passed away suddenly 2 years ago, before any of their 4 granddaughters could speak, so it'd be hard for them to have any memories of "Grandma" ... especially since the youngest wasn't even born yet!

I'm not over-thinking this or anything, and everyone's responses have been great so far ... I am getting ideas!

HIU8
10-28-2009, 03:44 PM
My kids call my mother Grandma Net
They call my father Zade
(my parents are divorced)

MIL is called Bubs (shortened from Bubbee)
FIL was called Grandpa Al

DS called my grandfather Zade Gadol (my aunt insisted--LOOOOONG story)
DS called my other grandmother Greate Grandma Liz

LarsMal
10-28-2009, 04:55 PM
The ILs are Grandma Firstname and Grandpa Fristname

My parents are Gigi and Poppi

shawnandangel
10-28-2009, 05:02 PM
We let the grandparents pick their "names".

MIL and FIL are Nana and Papaw
My Mom is Grandma
My dad is Grandpa
My Step mom is Mamaw Lou

Glizmo
10-28-2009, 05:07 PM
My parents are Papa and Gramma (comes out "Gamma" right now)

ILs are Bah and NaNa - MIL came up with that years before grandchildren, she can't wait til they say they want to go to bananas house! :banana:

Indianamom2
10-28-2009, 05:39 PM
My mom and dad are Grammy and Pop-pop.

Dh's mom and dad are Grandma and Grampa (but they often come out as Bama and "Crapaw"!)

Great Grandmother on my side is Mom-mom.

Great Grandparents on Dh's side are Granny and Grampa first name and Grandma first name.

We personally love "Crapaw". I know we should encourage the proper pronunciation, and we generally do, but come on...that's just funny!

Christina

nrp
10-28-2009, 05:56 PM
Maternal: Nana and Poppa
Paternal: Oma and Opa
GGM: Mimi (although she used to be "Mama" to me - not sure how/why this changed but I actually like Mimi better)

catsnkid
10-28-2009, 07:47 PM
So far

my parents are

Grandma
Grandpa Andy. I have been jokingly calling him "pandy' it would be cute if it sticks

MIL said she wants to be called nana, but is referring to her self as grandma. Whatever.

Husbands dad and step mom live out of the country, but they will be Grandpa Pete and Grandma Gene

Dhs grandma is Grammy B to him. The other grammy passed away when I was PG.

My surviving grandparents are grandma Ollie and granpa lou, I think that can stay on.

As a side note, my Paternal grandpa lived with us from when I was seven on. WE started calling him by his first name because my mom did. Don't think he liked that too much.

dcmom2b3
10-28-2009, 09:12 PM
My mom is Nana; my dad (who's deceased) is Grandpa when we talk about him. Eric's parents are Memere and Pepere (roughly, with French pronunciation, Muh-mer and Puh-per).

MamaKath
10-28-2009, 09:33 PM
Grandma, Omi, Grandmother

Pop-pop, Grandpa, Pop (deceased, but we still talk about him regularly to them)

Great grandparents are Great Pop-pop and GG (short for great grandma)

mamicka
10-28-2009, 09:35 PM
My parents are Babicka & Dedecko.
My ILs are Grandma & Grandpa.

liz
10-28-2009, 09:41 PM
(but they often come out as Bama and "Crapaw"!)

oohhh, that gave me a good laugh! I hope you have that on tape.

My mom (who is polish) is "babcia". My kids had a hard time at first, calling her "Baba", which in Polish, loosely translates into "old lady" which my mom thought was funny. My dad passed before the kids were born, but he would have been called "jadek" (?sp)- he was also Polish.

FIL is "yea-yea" which is cantonese. MIL also passed before kids- she would have been "yin-yin" (also cantonese).

jent
10-28-2009, 09:47 PM
My mom is Grandma.
My dad & stepmom are Grandpa and Nonna.
DH's parents are YiaYia and Grandad.
DH's grandparents are Big YiaYia and Pappou.

All were chosen by the grandparents in advance, and I had no problem with that. Kudos to my stepmom, actually, for announcing she wanted to be "Nonna" and circumventing any bad feeling about being another Grandma.

DD had her own pronunciation of these for a while, and I kind of miss it. She would call my mom "Bamma," and since it was the time of the elections, more than once people thought she was talking about Obama.

mamicka
10-28-2009, 09:57 PM
My mom (who is polish) is "babcia". My kids had a hard time at first, calling her "Baba", which in Polish, loosely translates into "old lady" which my mom thought was funny.

We're Slovak, so we pronounce these similarly - the correct Slovak word is pronounced babeechka (babicka, stress on first syllable) but my kids have never said it correctly & they call her Baba. It means "old lady" in Slovak as well but I don't think she minds.

amldaley
10-28-2009, 11:07 PM
DD calls my MIL "Nana" as that is the tradition in their family.

She calls my mother "Baba" b/c she can't yet say "Babcia" which is Polish for grandmother.

We do not speak with either of our fathers, so she doesn't call them anything!

One thing we did which both of our mom's seemed to like was that we asked each what she would like to be called.

rupptopia
10-29-2009, 12:58 AM
my folks: Grandma & PaPa
my grandma: GG (for great grandma, I suggested it & she loves it, especially b/c the kids can say it pretty early)

DH's mom insisted on Grandmother & Grandfather (!) b/c that is what her parents wanted to be called when she had DH. I've never heard of anyone else being so formal.

niccig
10-29-2009, 01:07 AM
DH's parents: Mimi and Bubba. The eldest grandchild named them that, and it's stuck for all subsequent grandchildren.

My parents: Granny and Grumps. They chose their own names. My Dad said he would be Gramps, but because we used to call him Grumble Bum because he can be grumpy, my sisters and I changed it to Grumps. He's much more mellow than when I was growing up, so he hasn't lived up to his name.

amldaley
10-29-2009, 01:13 AM
oohhh, that gave me a good laugh! I hope you have that on tape.

My mom (who is polish) is "babcia". My kids had a hard time at first, calling her "Baba", which in Polish, loosely translates into "old lady" which my mom thought was funny. My dad passed before the kids were born, but he would have been called "jadek" (?sp)- he was also Polish.

FIL is "yea-yea" which is cantonese. MIL also passed before kids- she would have been "yin-yin" (also cantonese).

lol...my mom is "baba" too, for the same reasons. She hated it b/c she thought Americans would think my daughter was referring to her as her "bottle". She did not see the humor in it ;)