PDA

View Full Version : S/O Grandparent Names...

fortato
10-28-2009, 01:11 PM
I have three nephews that live in Ohio that call me Auntie Kristen- Auntie is pronounced "ANT-ee" rather than "Auhnt-ee".

Jack calls my SIL's "Auhnt-ee". I don't know if it's a New England thing, or what... but that's what we've always called our aunts.

What do your kids, or you call your aunts?

elektra
10-28-2009, 01:14 PM
We're all Tias or Aunties over here. (Auntie, like "Ant-ee").
And it basically goes for every adult female, not necessarily because the person is actually the sister of the child's parent.

maestramommy
10-28-2009, 01:14 PM
Some of them they call "ANTie", others they called "Ah-i" (Taiwanese for Mommy's sis, cousin, BFF, etc).

JBaxter
10-28-2009, 01:16 PM
Mine say just Aunt ( Ant) ... Aunt Jill, Aunt Lisa etc

citymama
10-28-2009, 01:17 PM
Aunt or Aunty, pronounced the New England way: "aahnt." ;) Definitely *not* to sound like ant.

bluestarfish18
10-28-2009, 01:21 PM
I go with Ahhhntie, agreeing with PP that the other way sounds like the insects. My mom grew up in a British Colony, so all her English is pronounced the British way. I still say bahnahna (banana) and baaahg (bag).

wellyes
10-28-2009, 01:25 PM
I moved from midwest to Massachusetts. I'm pretty sure "Ahunt" is a NE thing.

buddyleebaby
10-28-2009, 01:28 PM
Aunt (ant).

Or tia.

Twoboos
10-28-2009, 01:30 PM
Aunt or Aunty, pronounced the New England way: "aahnt." ;) Definitely *not* to sound like ant.

:yeahthat:

An Ant is a little insect.... all the New Englanders pronounce Ahhhnt correctly! :)

almostmom
10-28-2009, 01:32 PM
I'm from New England, born and bred, and use both Ant and Ahhhnt. Depends on how I'm feeling! I actually think I use Ant more, but really do use both, both for my own Aunt and when referring to my sisters to DC.

AnnieW625
10-28-2009, 01:35 PM
Elisa calls my sister Ant-ee Sarah, and just calls my brother Jack. She doesn't really know BIL+wife and she is pretty shy so she doesn't call them anything. She calls her godparents (who are also great aunt and uncle) Ben, and Auntie (and sometimes just Lorraine).

TwinFoxes
10-28-2009, 01:36 PM
I grew up saying "Ahnt" which I got from my grandmother who was from Texas and a school marm. Ant didn't fly (no pun intended) with her.

alexsmommy
10-28-2009, 01:47 PM
Huh - never thought about it, but the kids address my closest girlfriends at "Auntie
X" (Ant-tie) and their real Aunts as "Aunt X" (Auhnt). I think DSD had established the Auhnt prononciation (DH's entire family uses it) and my girlfriends all use the Ant pronounciation so that's what we use instead of "Miss' or just a first name.

SammyeGail
10-28-2009, 02:16 PM
Its a Southern thing here I guess, but we're called aunt (ant), being called 'antie' would be cuter! I do feel weird when my 28 yr old nephew still refers to me as 'aunt', is that weird?

I had a neice who called me 'aunt manfa' until she was 11-12, it just stuck, she couldn't pronounce 'Samantha' when she was little, I thought it was really cute. She's 25 now and has a daughter and is expecting another! Making me a 'great ant', lol!

Sam

boolady
10-28-2009, 02:26 PM
DD calls them Aunt as in ant. We're in NJ (outside Philadelphia).

Corie
10-28-2009, 02:39 PM
We just say Aunt (pronounced "ant") Firstname or Uncle Firstname.

So, my nephews call me Aunt Corie.

When my daughter was born, I bought my sister an ant charm
for her charm bracelet. I bought an ant because she became an
Aunt when DD was born.

Aunt = ant

lizzywednesday
10-28-2009, 03:05 PM
Our nieces and nephew are currently calling us Aunt (usually pronounced "ant") Liz and Uncle Matt ... I call all my relations "Aunt (Firstname)" or "Uncle (Firstname)," except for my mom's two youngest sisters, who I call by their first names only because they are so much younger than my mother. (I do refer to my aunt Fran's husband as "Unca" Bill, but he's the only one I have that kind of "nickname" for ... when they were dating, he was "Mr. Bill" which caused all SORTS of hilarity for my sibs and I who weren't old enough to watch SNL, but we did anyway.)

For great-aunts and uncles, it's the same deal. (Though my sister does call our dad's Aunt Dolores "Auntie Dee-Dee", but that's because my sister was the only one out of the 4 of us to be invited to call her that!)

And I'm an "Auntie" to my best friend's daughter, as I have been since she was born, so my children will call my best friend "Auntie" as well. (Incidentally, the rotten kid went and grew up on us ... she had the audacity to turn 10 this year!!!)

LarsMal
10-28-2009, 04:53 PM
We're all insects around here! Ant it is!!!

shawnandangel
10-28-2009, 04:56 PM
I am "Aunt Angel" pronounced "Ant" That's the only way I've heard it pronounced where I am from in Northeast Ohio

dcmom2b3
10-28-2009, 06:25 PM
We're soft "a" Ahnts, tho' great-aunts are called "grantie" (hard "a"). The French aunts are "Ta-Tas." And I never thought of how that translates until now. :hysterical: Good thing none of them is named bodacious.