PDA

View Full Version : Quick question-PhD holders-CV/resume question

brittone2
10-28-2009, 01:31 PM
If more than one page, staple? Paperclip? I'm reading conflicting info online about whether to staple or not. Helping DH out ;)

bubbaray
10-28-2009, 01:33 PM
I don't staple anymore b/c a lot of places uses scanning technology to screen resumes (and I've even seen some where they only take resumes via email or online for this reason).

I put a header on my 2nd page that has my name and telephone number, just in case it gets separated from the first page.

HTH

Pepper
10-28-2009, 01:36 PM
I always stapled my CV together because it was 10-12pages long. When I used a resume, it was much shorter (one page w/work history and education, publications and presentations summarized on 2-3 additional pages) so I went for a paperclip or no clip at all.

brittone2
10-28-2009, 01:38 PM
this is 3 pages. He's currently thinking paperclip. I'm guessing it doesn't matter much in the end but I thought I'd ask the all knowing BBB ;)

alexsmommy
10-28-2009, 01:43 PM
I have a header and I staple. Having to read through tons of CV's for my old job made me appreciate this - I would find myself reaching for the stapler for the loose ones. Header in case they need to seperate it for some reason.

♥ms.pacman♥
10-28-2009, 01:54 PM
mine is 2 pages and I usually staple it... not all places scan them in, some places instead ask you to submit it electronically.

brittone2
10-28-2009, 02:00 PM
He's taking along extras. They already have an electronic submission of his resume, but he wants to have a few backup copies along as he's giving a talk, etc. and thought it would be good to have some on hand in case anyone requests a paper copy on site.

caheinz
10-28-2009, 02:22 PM
I was scratching my head... since they're mainly electronic now!

If he's bringing extra copies, I would staple those. Paperclips could get jumbled up and stuck together, or to additional pages, etc.

In academia, I wouldn't bother. If someone wants a paper copy, they'll probably have one. If not, they'll have it electronically. (I'm on my second search committee of the year now, and I printed the apps of the top few candidates already.)

brittone2
10-28-2009, 02:48 PM
I was scratching my head... since they're mainly electronic now!

If he's bringing extra copies, I would staple those. Paperclips could get jumbled up and stuck together, or to additional pages, etc.

In academia, I wouldn't bother. If someone wants a paper copy, they'll probably have one. If not, they'll have it electronically. (I'm on my second search committee of the year now, and I printed the apps of the top few candidates already.)

Yeah, it is not for an academic position.

He can't find our stapler so that's why he wants to paperclip ;) Hopefully they won't need to see any extra copies of his resume and it won't matter as he refuses to let me run out and buy a stapler just for this.

sansdieu
10-28-2009, 05:54 PM
What NOT to do (from personal experience): do not print out double-sided copies. That's what I did (I'm very environmentally conscious). Other than that, either way is fine. (If they're extra copies to hand out, staples are better, though.) I second the idea of a header (which includes a page #).

ncat
10-28-2009, 08:30 PM
Having extra paper copies is nice when you are interviewing with someone busy and disorganized who has either lost it or forgotten to print it out ahead of time.

DrSally
10-28-2009, 09:27 PM
I generally staple (15 pages), I think with a header (name, page) on each page