PDA

View Full Version : First time mom - stroller or frame?

staceyeileen
10-28-2009, 02:35 PM
I'm a first time mom due in January. One of the first decisions I made when I starting researching all the baby "stuff" I need to buy was that I did NOT want a bulky travel system stroller. So I purchased a Chicco Keyfit 30 and had pretty much settled on using the Snap N Go frame with it and delaying my real stroller purchase until later when I could go for something lightweight. Then I found this board...

So I guess my question is, do you think this is a smart way to go? I am particularly interested in the Peg Perego Si, as it is lightweight and could possibly accept my keyfit30 from what I've read, so I could skip the frame altogether and save some money. On the other hand, if I go with a frame for now I'd leave myself open to newer models of strollers coming down the road, even maybe 2011 models depending on how long hte baby stays in the infant seat. HELP!

sadie427
10-28-2009, 02:39 PM
We did this w/ DS2, it allowed us to shop for deals and think about what we would need. I'm not a fan of keeping the baby in the carseat for extended periods though--we used our Ergo and sling a lot, and mostly used the stroller frame for short trips in and out of the car, especially when the baby was sleeping. The frame allows baby to face you, which is really nice and a feature that not a lot of affordable strollers have. The frames are also easy to come by secondhand, as they aren't used for long (ours was borrowed.)

If you are planning on a lot of long, frequent stroller walks starting right away, I'd get a stroller (you could get one that takes a carseat adapter) and skip the frame. Otherwise I'd just get the frame for now.

mrspeachykeen
10-28-2009, 02:43 PM
The Keyfit works great with the Si. I really liked it especially since for the price you are getting a full featured umbrella that holds a car seat. If you get a frame, you will still need to get another stroller later and end up spending similar amounts of money. The Si is only about 4 lbs heavier than the snap and go.

We are now getting a Teutonia system (thanks to some lucky event), but did consider the Si. I am still considering it for a lightweight umbrella option though for my husbands car now.

jacksmoma
10-28-2009, 03:14 PM
i like the si but to use the car seat its a real PITA to have to recline the seat everytime you want to put the infant seat in it- espc. since the way you recline the seat is just like the two bars on the mac quest...you have to get down on your knees to do it, very hard to do. i'd go for the frame and get something that meets you needs then. or the baby jogger city mini with car seat adaptor and you can always get an all terrian down the road and keep the mini in your car :)

lorinick
10-28-2009, 03:39 PM
i like the si but to use the car seat its a real PITA to have to recline the seat everytime you want to put the infant seat in it- espc. since the way you recline the seat is just like the two bars on the mac quest...you have to get down on your knees to do it, very hard to do. i'd go for the frame and get something that meets you needs then. or the baby jogger city mini with car seat adaptor and you can always get an all terrian down the road and keep the mini in your car :)

I'd go with the frame as well or a City Mini, You could get the adapter. Or use the frame with infant seat and the stroller the rest of the time. I love the City Mini with the Snuzzler in laying flat. Great stroller.

jacksmoma
10-28-2009, 03:49 PM
i agree, baby can just lay flat in the mini but i found out all too late that my 5 month old prefer seeing me/staying in her car seat for quick errands and taking baby out is a hugeeee PITA! i'd get the adaptor for the mini to keep in the trunk when needed....

babychi
10-28-2009, 04:03 PM
I'd go with the stroller frame, too. We have a KeyFit 30 and use the Maclaren Easy Traveller frame with it...I love this combo! It fits our needs extremely well and we are very happy with it. I haven't played around with the Peg SI though, and I've seen very positive reviews, but I think the best option with an infant seat is to get a frame. Good luck! :)

Ivy_CA
10-28-2009, 04:08 PM
The only problem is I don't think the city mini with the bar will take a chicco keyfit carseat.

lhafer
10-28-2009, 04:30 PM
Yes, please let me know if the Chicco Key Fit 30 is compatible with the Baby Jogger. I just got a Classic series, and need to start looking into car seats.

jacksmoma
10-28-2009, 04:58 PM
Yes, please let me know if the Chicco Key Fit 30 is compatible with the Baby Jogger. I just got a Classic series, and need to start looking into car seats.

look into the graco snugride- i like it much better than the chicco...all i can say is rotating canopy which is SO important! it's very highly rated as well...

sweetsoul99
10-28-2009, 05:37 PM
I agree with idea of using a frame. I didn't know how I would use a stroller until after the baby was born, your life changes so much!! Do you like to go for long walks/live on bumpy terrain? Most frames have rather small wheels. Which is fine for a toddler in an umbrella stroller. But for a small baby I like the larger wheels of my metrolite. It is a pain to recline the seat everytime, but really not that much. I took it for tons of walks, so I'm glad I had the larger wheels. If I could do it over again I'd get a frame and a jogging stoller.

the chicco doesn't have a rotating canopy? We use this on our graco COUNTLESS times!!!

staceyeileen
10-28-2009, 06:02 PM
At what age would I be able to use the Si without the car seat? 3 months?

Thanks for the BJCM recommendation, I had no idea there was a car seat adapter. Argh, the plot thickens! I'll have to check if it accepts a Chicco.

I imagine we will use the stroller or frame for walks around the neighborhood (suburbian sidewalks, flat Florida terrain) and the occasional errand, but I also intend to wear the baby a lot. I'm not a big shopper and avoid the mall like the plague. :)

Jennifer626
10-28-2009, 06:19 PM
I did the frame and Snugride and absolutely loved this for the first 3 months, it was so easy and worth every penny to be able to pop a sleeping baby all over the place. At about 3 months I decided I didn't want to leave her in her carseat all the time anymore, so I bought a reversible stroller. Now that she is 6 months old, I really only use the Ergo Carrier most of the time, I only use the stroller for outside walks and the mall. All quick trips she's in the Ergo.

codex57
10-28-2009, 06:39 PM
Honestly, I think the frame is the way to go. Especially if you buy it used. When you're taking the thing out, it really gives you an idea of what you want or don't want in a stroller. Everyone is different. Plus, you can always resell the frame after you're done with it.

babychi
10-28-2009, 06:47 PM
[QUOTE=sweetsoul99;2516873]If I could do it over again I'd get a frame and a jogging stoller. QUOTE]

This is exactly what we are doing...Chicco with the Maclaren frame for the first few months, then an all-terrain jogging stroller (we are using the BOB Revolution but there are lots of great brands) and a lightweight umbrella stroller once baby outgrows the carseat/frame combo.

lareigna
10-28-2009, 06:48 PM
I agree with idea of using a frame. I didn't know how I would use a stroller until after the baby was born, your life changes so much!! Do you like to go for long walks/live on bumpy terrain? Most frames have rather small wheels. Which is fine for a toddler in an umbrella stroller. But for a small baby I like the larger wheels of my metrolite. It is a pain to recline the seat everytime, but really not that much. I took it for tons of walks, so I'm glad I had the larger wheels. If I could do it over again I'd get a frame and a jogging stoller.

the chicco doesn't have a rotating canopy? We use this on our graco COUNTLESS times!!!

Nope. The sunshade is virtually useless unless you have the travel system, then you pull the stroller canopy to meet the carseat canopy. It's a shame, because otherwise it's a great seat, better than the Snugride IMO, because of the fabric, infant insert and the base which you don't have to lift the seat up and over to take it out or put it in. I always bump my Graco's handle on the ceiling of my Highlander. amd have to tilt it a bit to get it out of the base.

The shade on the carseat was important for me, since I live in FL, and I did not want a formal travel system,IMO, it is silly to lug a whole stroller just for the wheels so I chose the Graco mainly for the rotating canopy, since they both have excellent saftey ratings, and are both excellent seats ( I like the plushier fabrics on the Gracos though- less sweaty) . In retrospect, I would have bought a stroller with a removable seat first. That way you could use it as a frame when you want it, and you have the seat or bassinet when you want it. I started out with a Snugrider, but ended up buying a Kolcraft Contours Options 3, which has the removable seat and is affordable.

jacksmoma
10-28-2009, 09:51 PM
DO NOT get a car seat that does not have a rotating canopy- it is a MUST imo. babies under one HATE the sun in their eyes, so you'd have to use a blanket (what a pain) if the canopy does not rotate. I just adore our snugride, and it comes in such cute prints...it's the only graco product i own/like !!

SnuggleBuggles
10-28-2009, 10:53 PM
At what age would I be able to use the Si without the car seat? 3 months?

IMO you can use the stroller from the get go, no need to use it as a travel system with the car seat. Better for baby to lay flat than be in the carseat a lot. There have been studies that being in the carseat too much can cause breathing difficulties for some babies.

Beth

GraceH
10-29-2009, 12:50 AM
Nope. The sunshade is virtually useless unless you have the travel system, then you pull the stroller canopy to meet the carseat canopy. It's a shame, because otherwise it's a great seat, better than the Snugride IMO, because of the fabric, infant insert and the base which you don't have to lift the seat up and over to take it out or put it in. I always bump my Graco's handle on the ceiling of my Highlander. amd have to tilt it a bit to get it out of the base.

The shade on the carseat was important for me, since I live in FL, and I did not want a formal travel system,IMO, it is silly to lug a whole stroller just for the wheels so I chose the Graco mainly for the rotating canopy, since they both have excellent saftey ratings, and are both excellent seats ( I like the plushier fabrics on the Gracos though- less sweaty) . In retrospect, I would have bought a stroller with a removable seat first. That way you could use it as a frame when you want it, and you have the seat or bassinet when you want it. I started out with a Snugrider, but ended up buying a Kolcraft Contours Options 3, which has the removable seat and is affordable.

Have you seen the new wonderful fabrics of the snugRide35? http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?p=1002104 It has the rotating canopy perks, plus twice timeframe to outgrowth as the original (16-18mo vs. 6-9mo).
I have mine (previous version = safeSeat) paired with the Graco Mosaic stroller -- it's NOT a bulky obnoxious travel system (fits amongst clothing racks, umbrella fold), yet allows you a stroller option for only slightly more than a frame (~$100).
Given a smaller budget, we've been very pleasantly surprised (SR35 got to age 2, stroller still going strong)

GraceH
10-29-2009, 12:58 AM
Thanks for the BJCM recommendation, I had no idea there was a car seat adapter. Argh, the plot thickens! I'll have to check if it accepts a Chicco.

It's NOT listed as taking the Chicco.
You'll have to double-check IRL if you can cram one in...
The KeyFits have a weird base, with the slot the a large rounded area vs. the base with 2 'bumps' in back that hook on things that most other infant carriers have.

May I ask why you chose the Chicco?

doberbrat
10-29-2009, 08:40 AM
honestly, I think you need both. car seats are for CARS and quick errands.

for walks around the neighborhood, you really need a real stroller. its not good for babies to spend lots of time in their carseats.

look on craigslist you should be able to find a nice used stroller for pretty cheap that can tide you over until you get your 'dream' stroller.

staceyeileen
10-29-2009, 08:46 AM
May I ask why you chose the Chicco?

We compared the SnugRide and the Keyfit in person and DH and I both agreed we liked the Keyfit fabrics better (not the look, but the feel). That, plus we kept reading it had higher ratings for installation/ease of use. Other than those two things, they were pretty even in our estimation.

jacksmoma
10-29-2009, 11:29 AM
[QUOTE=doberbrat;2517411]honestly, I think you need both. car seats are for CARS and quick errands.

for walks around the neighborhood, you really need a real stroller. its not good for babies to spend lots of time in their carseats.

I totally agree with this. in a perfect world, i'd get a baby jogger classic or elite for home and long days out and keep a car seat frame stroller in the car to use with a graco seat- then i'd replace the frame with a bjcm afterwards :) if on a stricter budget, i'd just get a bjcm and the adaptor OR the classic and adaptor (if you walk outside at home more than going places in the car). hth!

jacksmoma
10-29-2009, 11:29 AM
come to think of it, i DO have a bjccd at home and a bjcm in my car so i guess everything's perfect! lol!

Jelly Bean
10-29-2009, 05:31 PM
I have the Maclaren Easy Traveller (best "snap and go" IMO) and the Graco car seat. My friend has the Chicco car seat and constantly complains about the sunshade! Today I took DD to the mall and she fell asleep and I pulled the sunshade down over her face so she could sleep without the mall lights in her eyes. Last week when my friend and I went to lunch, she had to put a blanket over her car seat because of the sun and indoor lights. It kept falling off and she said she wished she had the Graco.

Then I have a BJCE for walks in the neighborhood - am really glad I bought it now (bought it used from a friend) and then plan on getting a Maclaren Quest for when DD outgrows the infant seat. HTH!:waving4:

jacksmoma
10-29-2009, 05:38 PM
I have the Maclaren Easy Traveller (best "snap and go" IMO) and the Graco car seat. My friend has the Chicco car seat and constantly complains about the sunshade! Today I took DD to the mall and she fell asleep and I pulled the sunshade down over her face so she could sleep without the mall lights in her eyes. Last week when my friend and I went to lunch, she had to put a blanket over her car seat because of the sun and indoor lights. It kept falling off and she said she wished she had the Graco.

Then I have a BJCE for walks in the neighborhood - am really glad I bought it now (bought it used from a friend) and then plan on getting a Maclaren Quest for when DD outgrows the infant seat. HTH!:waving4:

Now that's what i'm talking about :)

buffburgo
10-29-2009, 11:37 PM
I hope I am not stealing this thread, but this is the very same question my wife and are just starting to face now...stroller or frame. She very much likes the idea of the "travel system" but everything i've been reading in Baby Bargains says to steer clear, as the strollers tend to be...less than stellar.

I am confused with many things, but firstly, when Baby Bargains is referring to infant seats as "working with" strollers, is that meaning that you can buy said infant seat and said stroller may have an adapter (or maybe even allow directly) to connect the infant seat to the stroller? And, i'm guess this is a better option than travel systems, again, due to the quality of the stroller? Am I understanding that right?

I know the Mrs likes the idea of being able to just keep the baby in the seat, snap it into the car, then snap it into the stroller. Is this easily done with a non-travel system combo of infant seat and stroller?

codex57
10-30-2009, 12:13 AM
I know the Mrs likes the idea of being able to just keep the baby in the seat, snap it into the car, then snap it into the stroller. Is this easily done with a non-travel system combo of infant seat and stroller?

Yes, that's the idea.

doberbrat
10-30-2009, 09:46 AM

yes thts the idea. HOWEVER while this is perfectly fine for a quick trip to the store, there have been numerous studies showing that its not healthy for kids to spend extended amts of time in their car seats beyond driving time. it promotes flat heads, can cut down on oxygen rates, etc. do a search either in this forum or the carseat forum and I'm sure you'll find links.

For instance, if you're living in MN and its Feb when baby is born, this is the best way to run into the mall/target so baby stays warm and dry but if you're spending the day in the mall or several hours, you really dont want to leave baby in the carseat there for all that time. You'd want to either take a regular stroller so baby can lay flat or wear the baby while at the mall for those hours and use the snap & go as a cart.

lareigna
10-30-2009, 11:32 AM
I hope I am not stealing this thread, but this is the very same question my wife and are just starting to face now...stroller or frame. She very much likes the idea of the "travel system" but everything i've been reading in Baby Bargains says to steer clear, as the strollers tend to be...less than stellar.

I am confused with many things, but firstly, when Baby Bargains is referring to infant seats as "working with" strollers, is that meaning that you can buy said infant seat and said stroller may have an adapter (or maybe even allow directly) to connect the infant seat to the stroller? And, i'm guess this is a better option than travel systems, again, due to the quality of the stroller? Am I understanding that right?

The most important thing to do is decide which infant seat is the best for you before the stroller. The seat is the most important thing before the stroller. The Graco is an excellent seat but their strollers are not. The stroller itself usually ends up being a waste of money. So instead of spending $200-$300 on a travel system and hating the stroller, spend the good money on the car seat $100-$150 and purchase a stroller that you are going to love or at least get some good resale value for. Don't let this deter you from the Snugride however, The Snugride is compatible with virtually every full size stroller, and some lightweight strollers via an adapter, as well as most carseats. As you are researching strollers, that product information should state whether it car seat compatible or not. My favorite combo, btw, if I HAD to get a formal travel system would be the BJCM with a Snugride.

lareigna
10-30-2009, 11:35 AM
yes thts the idea. HOWEVER while this is perfectly fine for a quick trip to the store, there have been numerous studies showing that its not healthy for kids to spend extended amts of time in their car seats beyond driving time. it promotes flat heads, can cut down on oxygen rates, etc. do a search either in this forum or the carseat forum and I'm sure you'll find links.

For instance, if you're living in MN and its Feb when baby is born, this is the best way to run into the mall/target so baby stays warm and dry but if you're spending the day in the mall or several hours, you really dont want to leave baby in the carseat there for all that time. You'd want to either take a regular stroller so baby can lay flat or wear the baby while at the mall for those hours and use the snap & go as a cart.

Don't forget that you can get a stroller with a removable seat that can be used as a stroller frame for the quick trips, and as a full stroller when you need it. I keep my Kolcraft Contours in the car and its great for whatever situation I come across.

staceyeileen
10-30-2009, 01:09 PM
I hope I am not stealing this thread, but this is the very same question my wife and are just starting to face now...stroller or frame.

No worries. :)

This is why I'm looking at the Peg Perego Si. If I don't get a frame, for quick trips I can put my Chicco into it (without having to purchase a separate adapter). For longer excursions I'd just put the baby directly into the stroller without the seat, although I think I have to wait 3 months for this to be an option... not a big deal...

AnnieW625
10-30-2009, 01:20 PM
honestly, I think you need both. car seats are for CARS and quick errands.

look on craigslist you should be able to find a nice used stroller for pretty cheap that can tide you over until you get your 'dream' stroller.

:yeahthat: We didn't have a stroller frame as thought it was kind of redundant since I already had a Peg Perego Pliko stroller for her. It didn't take my Graco snugride, but I didn't have a problem taking her out and putting her in the stroller. She most likely just fell asleep again. I like to walk a lot so I wanted a good quality stroller. We also had a jogger with an infant insert and that worked great and since the recline of the stroller was flat it was suitable for use when walking with a newborn. Besides the occaisional quick trip into the store or drs. office I just carried her in the carrier.

I also suggest a do everything stroller like the Uppa Baby Vista, it's $650 but it has a bassinet, plus the toddler seat is reversable, and you can get a Chicco car seat adaptor for it for around $40. I bought my 2007 model on Craigslist for $400 earlier this year and I love it. Unless you are a jogger it could really be the only stroller you'll ever need. My 3/1/2 year old still loves it.

SnuggleBuggles
10-30-2009, 04:33 PM
No worries. :)

This is why I'm looking at the Peg Perego Si. If I don't get a frame, for quick trips I can put my Chicco into it (without having to purchase a separate adapter). For longer excursions I'd just put the baby directly into the stroller without the seat, although I think I have to wait 3 months for this to be an option... not a big deal...

I wouldn't want to wait 3m unless until then you were baby wearing (there are loads of great slings and carriers out there and it's so nice, practical and easy :)). It looks like it can recline almost totally flat though so it should be fine for a newborn. I'm not seeing anything that says 3+ m but maybe I am missing that?

Beth

jacksmoma
10-30-2009, 05:06 PM
the si does not recline flat....

SnuggleBuggles
10-30-2009, 05:23 PM
How flat does it have to be? Odds are it will recline more than a carseat incline, right? My Metrolite doesn't recline 100% flat but it was such a gradual incline that I considered it better than leaving him in his carseat. He also had more room to move his head around in the stroller than the carseat. I know totally flat is ideal but I'd want to play with it and see how flat it goes. One of the amazon reviews said that with baby's weight in there it almost pushed it totally flat.

Beth

staceyeileen
10-30-2009, 07:55 PM
I wouldn't want to wait 3m unless until then you were baby wearing (there are loads of great slings and carriers out there and it's so nice, practical and easy :)). It looks like it can recline almost totally flat though so it should be fine for a newborn. I'm not seeing anything that says 3+ m but maybe I am missing that?

I do plan to wear the baby a lot of the time when we're out and about. I was pretty sure I read 3+ months somewhere, but I can't find it anymore...

I do have to say that as a first time mom, this is all so confusing. This is the first place I've read that it might not be the best idea, in fact might even be harmful, to keep the baby in the infant seat while strolling. Everywhere else all you read is "travel system!" or "infant seat compatible!" so I actually thought it was *safer* to do so. Thank you all for the information.

GraceH
10-30-2009, 10:00 PM
The most important thing to do is decide which infant seat is the best for you before the stroller. The seat is the most important thing before the stroller. The Graco is an excellent seat but their strollers are not. The stroller itself usually ends up being a waste of money. So instead of spending $200-$300 on a travel system and hating the stroller, spend the good money on the car seat $100-$150 and purchase a stroller that you are going to love or at least get some good resale value for. Don't let this deter you from the Snugride however, The Snugride is compatible with virtually every full size stroller, and some lightweight strollers via an adapter, as well as most carseats. As you are researching strollers, that product information should state whether it car seat compatible or not. My favorite combo, btw, if I HAD to get a formal travel system would be the BJCM with a Snugride.

The Graco SnugRide35 is a great seat, it will last twice as long to outgrowth as the original. There are many great strollers that it is compatible with, but if you're on a budget like me, I've been very happy with our choice of the Graco Mosaic (not at all obnoxious and bulky like most travel systems)

SnuggleBuggles
10-30-2009, 10:11 PM
I do plan to wear the baby a lot of the time when we're out and about. I was pretty sure I read 3+ months somewhere, but I can't find it anymore...

I do have to say that as a first time mom, this is all so confusing. This is the first place I've read that it might not be the best idea, in fact might even be harmful, to keep the baby in the infant seat while strolling. Everywhere else all you read is "travel system!" or "infant seat compatible!" so I actually thought it was *safer* to do so. Thank you all for the information.

I'm sorry for making your head spin!!

I have a cynical eye to baby products a bit. The industry wants you to buy an infant seat and stroller but in honesty you could just get a convertible carseat and by-pass the whole infant seat thing- less $ for the baby product industry. They have lots of good marketing but you can really peel back layers and find what you really need and will be successful for your life style.

I don't know if there have been any really large (more statistically significant) studies about carseats and things like breathing problems but this is some basic info:
http://www.parentdish.com/2009/09/05/infants-shouldnt-sleep-in-car-seats-study-says/
About flat heads:
http://www.flatheadprevention.org/prevention/

Good luck with your research and shopping!!
Beth

lareigna
10-30-2009, 10:51 PM

Just remember that the most important thing is the carseat. You need that to get home from that hospital and to doctors appointments which are usual quick in and out trips. You won't need a real stroller until after the first month or so when you feel like stretching your legs and going to the mall or something. You can buy a used carseat frame from CL or a consignment store to tie you over until you understand your and your baby stroller needs are, and thats what BB recommends. That's what I did and it worked out perfect, especially when I realized that I had to have the baby face me when in the regular stroller seat, so thank goodness I didn't get a traditional travel system. You can also consider a stroller with a removable seat that also serves its purpose as a carseat frame but you can keep the stroller seat or bassinet in the car if you feel you need it for longer strolls. It's the best of both worlds. There are more expensive ones like the Uppababy or Bugaboo, but if you don't want to break the bank, I have a Kolcraft Contours Options 3 wheel and it's fantastic and runs on Amazon for about $160. A little bulky with the stroller seat, but it's a great walk stroller and a great mall stroller that has a lot of storage. I keep the frame in my car and a Hotsling at all times for those quick trips.

meme9300
10-31-2009, 10:28 AM
I'd like to chime in and say that the sunshade on the Chicco sucks compared to the Graco.

I have had both seats and prefer the Graco seats 100 times over.
I do favor the original Snugride 22, though over the huge monster seats. SOOOOO much lighter than the Chicco 30 and just as easy to install. The height on the Snugride 22 is 29 inches and on the CHicco 30 it is 30 inches. The vast majority of kids will outgrow seats by height vs. weight first so for one inch, the much heavier Chicco is just not worth the aggravation.

The Graco sunshade is much better. With the Chicco you have to do the blanket drape because the sunshade is small and it is so annoying.

jacksmoma
10-31-2009, 11:34 AM
i prefer the regular snugride too- so nice a light/small. who's going to carry there 1 1/2 year old in a huge infant seat anyways???

GraceH
10-31-2009, 11:59 AM
i prefer the regular snugride too- so nice a light/small. who's going to carry there 1 1/2 year old in a huge infant seat anyways???

I liked having the larger seat. Ours lasted until age 2! We didn't carry it around much after the first few months (just leave in car like you would a convertible), BUT having the option to take it inside through 2 Chicago winters and other inclement weather as well as just popping it in our Mosaic stroller when on late night errands with a sleeping little one (9:30pm: 'what do you mean we're out of milk?':6:)
Since car seats have expiration dates, being able to purchase the next seat later (at 2yr, instead of 9 months) can make a big difference in extending the usage of your seat. Also, since we decided to switch to forward-facing at 2yr, we bought a Nautilus - hence our total seat purchases were 3 (need 2x seats for the stage after infant, since they're not as portable from car to car).

ETA: I would NOT recommend the KeyFit30 over the 22, since both have the same shell dimensions and are outgrown about the same time (~30" height-wise ~ 12months) -- I WOULD recommend the SnugRide32 (SafeSeat/SnugRide35) over the original snugRide as the Original is ~29" or 6-9months, versus the SR32's ~32" or 16-18months.