PDA

View Full Version : How young to fly?

parelle
10-28-2009, 02:46 PM
I'm 9 months pregnant, and feeling paranoid. My husband wants to fly to visit his family (his parents will be up when the baby's born) when the baby's a little less than 2 months old (under 7 weeks if he arrives on time). It should be less than 4 hours flying, perhaps with a stop over in the middle if we go that route.

While I am going to call our future pediatrician today, I was just wondering if anyone's flown with a baby that young. I'm particularly uncomfortable about it because 1) it'll be in the middle of winter 2) we'll be staying for 3 days, max and 3) I'm not sure I'm going to be up for traveling myself 4) I'm not sure I'm going to be comfortable putting the baby out in public around lots of people (and some strangers) who are going to want to hold him (As I said, I'm feeling paranoid.)

Thanks! I did try searching on the forum to see if anyone else has asked this question, but I didn't see anything - if there's an earlier thread, could you point it out?

citymama
10-28-2009, 02:50 PM
We flew with DD at 3 months. It was summer time. I know people who've flown with week-old babies, so there's certainly no hard-and-fast rule about it. BUT given that it will be flu season, and planes/airports are crowded places, I can understand your concern. If you are fully vaxed, and are breastfeeding, that will certainly give your baby protection. You'll just have to be extra good about hand-washing, and make sure that your DH"s family is also very careful when you get where you're going.

Piglet
We flew to Israel and back when DS2 was 1 month and 2 months old (stayed for a month). It was great! Honestly, it is the most portable the baby will ever be. They don't need entertainment, the airplane noise lulls them to sleep and they are very low-needs (no toys to worry about and they are not mobile). I think you will be up to it at 7 weeks too (barring a difficult c/s recovery or the like).

elektra
I asked this question about 6 months ago too (did a poll even!)
I ended up taking DS to Hawaii for two weeks when he was 6 weeks old (he spent what was a quarter of his life at that point in Hawaii!)
It was great and I would do it again in a heartbeat. It was much easier with him than with my 2-year-old actually.

codex57
10-28-2009, 02:55 PM
Infants are pretty easy. Toddlers, with all that energy, are a lot harder.

And I'd take a nonstop if I could. I'd wait til 1 month tho just for the immune system to build up some.

Hallie_D
10-28-2009, 03:09 PM
I recently posted my own driving vs. flying question, so I completely understand how nervous you are about flying with a young baby in flu season. Thinking back, I did fly with DS #1 when he was 3 weeks old (family wedding). Flu was not a concern to me at that time--it was summer and there was no swine flu going around. It was very easy to fly with the baby--other posters have noted that babies are so portable at that age!

I think you need to go with your gut. I decided to fly with my infant in mid-November because, as people pointed out to me in the thread I posted, a long drive with an infant and toddler would be a total nightmare at worst and completely exhausting at best. But I also was positive I wanted to take this trip, so for me the issue was "what is the best way to get there?". If you feel uncomfortable flying that early for a short 3-day trip, don't let anyone make you feel guilty for staying home!

BillK
10-28-2009, 03:10 PM
We flew back to Pittsburgh from LA with Zach when he was 3 days old - in February.

twindad
10-28-2009, 04:02 PM
We flew across the country to a huge family reunion/90th birthday party for my grandmother with our girls when they were 8 weeks old. It was honestly the easiest travel we've ever done with them... it gets much more challenging when they want to crawl/walk/move etc. My wife and I each had one of the girls in a baby Bjorn, which made navigating through the airports fairly easy.

Just plan ahead with 3x as many diapers as you think you'll need, 2x as many burp clothes/baby clothes that you think you'll need, and also pack a change of clothes for you - at least a fresh shirt... you just never know if you might have a big spit-up or major diaper blow out.

AnnieW625
10-28-2009, 04:10 PM
DD's first airplane ride was at 2/1/2 mos. old. Travelling with a tiny infant is much easier than a 12 mos. old so keep that in mind too.

Jen841
10-28-2009, 04:41 PM
Flew ASAP, at that age it is easy!

jillc
10-28-2009, 05:37 PM
Hi,

I'd be on the fence about it, too, mainly b/c of the season and germs.

I agree with others that it is *much* easier to travel with a small baby than an older baby/toddler/preschooler.

I had two c-sections and by 7 weeks post-partum was definitely physically feeling up to making a trip, in my sleep-deprived new mom state and all.

If you plan to breastfeed, this trip might provide you extra incentive to stick with the breastfeeding if the times are tough in the early days, as they often are. You will pass on your immunities to your baby as you are exposed to germs.

If you do the trip, I would wear the baby in a sling as much as possible during travel, as an extra barrier from germs and little old ladies who might otherwise try to rub baby's cheek, etc. I always bring disinfectant wipes on airplanes and wipe down armrests, tray tables, window, etc. as soon as we get to our seats.

Best of luck!
Jill

okinawama
10-28-2009, 07:05 PM
I flew with my son from Japan to the states when he was 9 weeks old. It really is the most portable time. He slept 6 out of the 8 hours from Tokyo to California, it really made the flights very easy. It was also very easy to protect him from germs. I kept him in a wrap almost the entire time, he wasn't down crawling around, putting things in his mouth and constantly touching germy things. I say go :)

arivecchi
10-28-2009, 07:13 PM
Yes, flew with DS1 when he was about 6-7 weeks old. It was the easiest flight I've had with kids. :D

mom2binsd
10-28-2009, 07:53 PM
IF you can also bring the infant carrier, with the canopy closed and blanket draped as a barrier you can probably avoid a lot of airborne germs.

If you have a c-section you might still be a little sore, but that's what your DH is for, to lug all the heavy stuff.

Tondi G
10-28-2009, 08:16 PM
Personally I wouldn't. With the sickness possibilities (colds/flu) and like you mentioned YOURSELF possibly not being up for it. When my babies were 6 weeks old I wouldn't want to be traveling (even more so in the wintertime). For me at that point it was just trying to get as much sleep as possible and trading off with DH taking care of the kids. I was tired! My 1st was colicky so being in a place other than home while he screamed for 3 hours at night would not have been fun!

parelle
10-28-2009, 11:58 PM
Thanks for all of your responses - it's been really quite helpful and reassuring. The pediatrician, just to complete that part of the story, leans on the side of traveling is just fine, even by air, but people are the worry - I definitely like the reminders about carrier + blanket and wearing the baby (which I do plan to do as much as I can).

I think we're going to book for the flight but if I end up having a C-section, we'll definitely shift the date. We're also going to be staying for longer than I had originally thought, which is definitely a help - I didn't like the idea of running in and out all that much.