PDA

View Full Version : am I an idoit for forgoing an H1N1 flu clinic done by my county?

HIU8
10-28-2009, 03:05 PM
It's from 4-8 today. I drove by it at 2:30 (thinking that we would do it) and there were police all over the place and people camped out waiting (probably 200 so far). I just could not put DD and DS through that--waiting in line at 2:30 for it to open at 4 and then possibly waiting until at least 5:30 or 6 to get the vax.

Our ped still isn't doing anyone except 6-24 months and high risk. My friends ped's office clinic was open to the public last week and they changed that on Monday - so only patients can get it.

So, DD and DS have not have the vax yet. My ped assures me that they will get more in and the next round of kids will be 2-5 yrs. Meanwhile, they will still need 2 shots.

OY. I guess I'm glad they had the regular flu shot in September already.

boolady
10-28-2009, 03:10 PM
Well, I don't think so, because we are going to do that next Friday if our ped. doesn't get any in, and they haven't so far. There is a clinic next Friday from 2-4, and I'm figuring we will have to get there between 12 and 12:30 to even have a chance of DD getting a dose. I guess we'll bring the stroller, lots of books, small toys, and snacks, and just hope for the best.

jse107
10-28-2009, 03:54 PM
I'm assuming you live in MOCO too. I was going to send DH and ILs to do the one at Northwest HS, but I think we may wait another week or two.

deannanb
10-28-2009, 04:05 PM
any clue how many shots they had?
if at 2:30 there were 200 people - do you think when you show up later this afternoon there would be any shots left? Do you want to wait all that time with the kids?

How about driving by later and see if there is a line - and decide then.

LarsMal
10-28-2009, 04:48 PM
If you're an idiot, I am too, because I skipped ours last week. It wasn't just one, either. It was pretty much all week, but the lines were crazy, they ran out of shots at one point and only had the mist. Then they got more shots, but word was out and the lines were 3+ hours. I just couldn't bring myself to drag all three of mine (no help) into the crowds and wait it out. DD1 and I are the only ones who can get it right now anyway. I just hope our ped office gets it soon, but they keep posting on their Twitter that it keeps getting delayed.

TwinFoxes
10-28-2009, 04:55 PM
Come to Fairfax. DH took the girls on Monday afternoon and was in and out in less than an hour. They are doing them everyday this week. I have no idea why Montgomery County's are such a zoo. Check the Fairfax County homepage. There is no residency requirement.

LarsMal
10-28-2009, 04:59 PM
Come to Fairfax. DH took the girls on Monday afternoon and was in and out in less than an hour. They are doing them everyday this week. I have no idea why Montgomery County's are such a zoo. Check the Fairfax County homepage. There is no residency requirement.

Oh wow- good to know!

citymama
10-28-2009, 06:52 PM
OMG, that sounds crazy. People camped out - yikes! We're going tomorrow - wish us luck!

HIU8
10-28-2009, 07:41 PM
I just checked their website. I can't get there tomorrow or Friday until after 3 pm. I am going to assume we would not get in at that point.

Someone told me that I should try NE DC b/c they are not checking residency and no one is going to the clinics.

HIU8
10-28-2009, 07:43 PM
I decided not to dry by later. I'm still checking with the ped who thinks they will have doses by mid november. I'm attempting to keep us all well until then. I sort of feel lost if I get to to the clinic for the first shot, then I still need to scramble for the booster shot. At least at our ped it's by appt only and once we get the initial shot we get scheduled for the second one. I'm hoping it all works out the way it is supposed to.

MoJo
10-29-2009, 08:11 AM
If you are, I am too. Our county's first one was Tuesday. People started lining up just after midnight for a clinic that didn't start 'til noon. Both DD and I would be eligible, but there's no way I'm going to do that.

They are only doing them on Tuesday afternoons, and I have to work on Tuesday afternoons, so I don't have a lot of time to wait after the clinic starts.

I'm going to wait to see what my midwifes say next week for me (they were able to get me the regular seasonal flu shot two years ago), and I have to take DD back to the ped in less than two weeks for her regular seasonal flu booster. I'll only try the county clinic if I can't get it through our docs offices and they say I should go to the county.

egoldber
10-29-2009, 08:16 AM
I would suggest driving by at least. The clinics in Fairfax, alas during the week so we can't use them...irksome....are generally busiest in the morning and less so after that.

lowrioh
10-29-2009, 09:44 AM
People in my neighborhood have been going to the clinics in DC. They have them on Tues and Thursday evenings and on Sat 8-4. We're going to try on Saturday. There is a list on the DC department of health website. From what I hear, they aren't checking residency.

TwinFoxes
10-29-2009, 11:29 AM
I would suggest driving by at least. The clinics in Fairfax, alas during the week so we can't use them...irksome....are generally busiest in the morning and less so after that.

I'm pretty sure Fairfax County had one last Saturday. We couldn't go that day, that's why DH took them on Monday. I know regular clinics are Mon-Fri, but I think they may be expanding H1N1 clinics to Saturday as well. You might want to call to check.

Here's some helpful info from the county's website for any of you who are interested. DH took the girls to the Fairfax City location, and said it was very smoothly run.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/flu/

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/hd/hdclinicsite.htm

Good luck to those of you who are looking for the vax.

egoldber
10-29-2009, 11:36 AM
Unfortunately, the clinic last weekend did not apply to either of my kids.

DH may be able to take Amy tomorrow during the day.

They have not announced the availabilty to older kids even if they have an underlying condition. Also, Sarah cannot get the mist to it is hard to predict if they will have something she can use. Our ped only has the mist. :dizzy:

la petite étoile
10-30-2009, 06:43 PM
I'm three months pregnant and tried to get vaccinated in MOCO when they had the second clinic. Needless to say that was a madhouse and I just left. I ended up getting vaccinated in DC last Saturday. It was completely painless and took less than an hour. I highly recommend it.

KpbS
10-30-2009, 07:15 PM
I doubt it. My good friend just spent 5.5 hrs. in the car with the entire family in tow for theirs!!! :dizzy: