PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of personalized gifts?

ourbabygirl
10-28-2009, 03:17 PM
I love giving personalized gifts to DD, DN, and my parents, but wonder if they like getting them? Just photo books, bath towels (for babies), an apron- that sort of thing.
Are there certain items that can be personalized that you wouldn't *want* to receive as a gift, especially if it's personalized? Certain things for your DC? I know it's nice to pass down bigger items between siblings and cousins, so it's not like I would personalize everything ;).
With the holidays coming up, I'd like to get your input before starting my shopping! :) Thanks!

deannanb
10-28-2009, 03:58 PM
how old are the kids?
how about personalized pencils?

my kids don't seem to care about the bath towels - they got some last year as gifts.
don't worry about being handed down -

tnrnchick74
10-28-2009, 04:00 PM
I don't like personalized bags - diaper bags, backpacks, beach bags, etc.

AnnieW625
10-28-2009, 04:03 PM
I loved getting personalized gifts when I was a kid. My grandma got us towels, pencils, stationary, lunch boxes (okay those were only used at home for crafts in 4th or 5th grade), and mugs. Most of it came from Lillian Vernon. DD has some personalized bath towels that I got her to keep at my parents house. I don't do personalized for baby gifts before the baby is born though even if they know the name, just in case they decide they want to change it.

justlearning
10-28-2009, 04:04 PM
I like personalized items for my kids but only have their names on items that they won't be wearing out of the house (e.g., cooking aprons). I don't put their names on anything (e.g., backpacks, trick-or-treat bags) that they have on them out of the house because I don't want a stranger calling them by name and thus leading my child to think that the person knows them.

I did get my son's PBK backpack monogrammed with his initials and I like how that looks. What works really well for us with hand-me-downs is that our boys both have the same three initials.

happymom
10-28-2009, 04:12 PM
I remember getting a set of personalized pencils as a kid and loving them. As one of 5 kids, I was used to sharing most toys etc so it was nice to have something that was really my OWN (we all received the same gift).

SkyrMommy
10-28-2009, 04:38 PM
My grandfather gave me a personalized 'art kit' that had pencils, pens, & paper all with my name on them.

sariana
10-28-2009, 05:28 PM
Last year for Christmas I received personalized tissues.... :confused:

wendibird22
10-28-2009, 07:14 PM
I liked getting personalized anything as a kid because my name is spelled differently so anything you could pick up in the store with a name on it (pencils, stickers, keychains) were never spelled right. I had very few things with my name on it because of that so I truly adored and appreciated when I did get things with my name.

Melaine
10-28-2009, 07:21 PM
I like personalized items for my kids but only have their names on items that they won't be wearing out of the house (e.g., cooking aprons). I don't put their names on anything (e.g., backpacks, trick-or-treat bags) that they have on them out of the house because I don't want a stranger calling them by name and thus leading my child to think that the person knows them.

:yeahthat: I always wanted to personalize stuff for the girls since people always confuse them, but didn't because of that issue.