PDA

View Full Version : Ped told me DS can only get the shot with preservatives

HIU8
10-28-2009, 03:48 PM
My ped told me over the phone that all children over 3 in their practice get the shot with preservatives (I'm talking regular flu shot and now H1N1). DD since she is 2 can still get the preservative free. Does your ped do that? I had no idea that the last 2 flu shots DS got were with preservatives. I'm sort of upset b/c I feel like it was assumed I knew....

I think we will do the MIST for H1N1 if the ped gets any of that in.

babybunny
10-28-2009, 03:51 PM
Ask if your child can get two doses of the "infant" preservative free vaccine in one needle. That's what my doctor does - but charges me for a second dose (insurance pays for only one).

HIU8
10-28-2009, 03:52 PM
I will do that. Thanks.

ett
10-28-2009, 04:38 PM
Ask if your child can get two doses of the "infant" preservative free vaccine in one needle. That's what my doctor does - but charges me for a second dose (insurance pays for only one).

Good idea. I should ask my ped. that. I also just found out today that the shots for kids over 3 had thimerisol in it. I'm not sure if it's just this year or previous years. Last year, I got DS1 the flu shot and when I asked them, they said it was thimerisol free. Now I'm not even sure if it actually was since DS1 was 5 last year and would have needed the full dose. There's nothing I can do about last year's shot, but I'm going to make sure that I find out exactly what shot we're getting.

Raidra
10-28-2009, 04:52 PM
I'm going to make sure that I find out exactly what shot we're getting.

This is something we need to do all the time, every time. I took Fiona in for just a nurse visit to get Prevnar. When the nurse came in, I happened to ask, in an offhand sort of way, "Hey, do you guys have any H1N1 shots in yet?" I was just curious, haven't fully decided whether or not to do them for the kids.

The nurse says, "Yeah, that's what I'm giving Fiona now."

I'm so, so grateful I said something. I usually say, "Okay, so that's Prevnar, right?" But because I had just said to her "She's getting Prevnar today" when she showed us into the room, before she left to actually get the shot, I probably wouldn't have mentioned it again.

Oh, and it was the multi-dose H1N1, not the preservative-free kind.

mecawa
10-28-2009, 04:54 PM
Yeah, that's how it is with our ped too. Under 3 gets the preservative free one. Over 3 if you request it AND they have enough to take care of their under 3 patients.

HannaAddict
10-28-2009, 05:30 PM
I will do that. Thanks.

With this shortage, I doubt your ped will do this. Our ped will do single dose, preservative free shots (it isn't two doses, they make one single dose shot that works for older children) but it costs more. I opt for that when there is a choice (seasonal flu vax, etc.) but in this case, the preservative free shots are being rationed by providers and county (in our county at least) for pregnant women and children under 2. The alleged risks of the preservative impact those groups (if they exist at all, though I opt for no preservative if have the chance!) is considered greater than on an older child or adult for that matter. Don't count on being able to pick and choose.

BabyMine
10-28-2009, 05:47 PM
Yeah, that's how it is with our ped too. Under 3 gets the preservative free one. Over 3 if you request it AND they have enough to take care of their under 3 patients.

:yeahthat: My ped also does it that way.

sidmand
10-28-2009, 05:48 PM
That's how it's always been with my pediatrician.

Last year I asked for the thimerisol free shot for DS (he was over three). They asked why I thought I needed that. When I said he was on the spectrum they set it up right away. But if he wasn't, I'm pretty sure they would have told me I couldn't get him one. And we haven't gotten any as of yet this year although all of a sudden this week it seems many many of his friends have fevers...

wellyes
10-28-2009, 06:53 PM
That's my ped's policy too.