PDA

View Full Version : Tension in Neck and Shoulders

lovin2shop
10-28-2009, 04:02 PM
Okay, I've about had it with my sore neck! I carry all my tension there and in my shoulders. I put a warm compress on it at night, and get occassional massages. But, this all seems to be a short term solution. What can I do to ease these knots and teach myself to relax these muscles? I think I would try just about anything now!

ourbabygirl
10-28-2009, 04:07 PM
I'm totally there with you! I was just telling DH about my annoying 'spot' in my back/neck, on the left side. I went to a chiropractor for a while, and paid a $20 co-pay each time, and I guess it helped at the time but now that I'm a SAHM I can't quite justify it. Though DH says to just go if it'll help. I'd much rather have a permanent solution, though. I've tried Icy Hot, with just a tad bit of temporary relief. I think going to the chiropractor for an adjustment about once or twice a week is more helpful than getting a massage, but maybe that's just me :).
Good luck!

ourbabygirl
10-28-2009, 04:07 PM
Back to add that you could try acupuncture... I'm too chicken to do it (and hate needles)!

sste
10-28-2009, 04:12 PM
The biggest risk factor for this type of back/neck pain and tension is a lack of exercise. Exercise the utilizes the whole body is particularly beneficial (aerobics, swimming, yoga), but you will get alot of relief from just running and walking.

I have been there and reseached this to no end. Start looking for a gym with childcare or haul that air tire stroller out for a brisk walk.

lovin2shop
10-28-2009, 04:15 PM
Ahhh, acupuncture!!!! I really need to do this again, but it is so expensive and time consuming. I did it for fertility and it definitely helped with my neck as a nice side benefit. I tried a chiropracter for awhile, but it didn't seem to help much. He said that he could keep adjusting my bones, but the tightness in my muscles would continue to pull me out of whack. I did get cheap massages through his office though! Maybe I will start up with acupuncture again, but I think that you need to go at least once a week for it to help significantly.

ThreeofUs
10-28-2009, 04:18 PM
The biggest risk factor for this type of back/neck pain and tension is a lack of exercise. Exercise the utilizes the whole body is particularly beneficial (aerobics, swimming, yoga), but you will get alot of relief from just running and walking.

:yeahthat: I have the same problem, but use Pete Egoscue's exercises. They *really* work, where other things just kinda help a little.

Here's a link to his book for women:
http://www.amazon.com/Pain-Free-Women-Revolutionary-Program/dp/0553380494/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256761072&sr=8-3

truly scrumptious
10-28-2009, 04:37 PM
Look up someone who practices EFT (emotional freedom technique) or SRT (Spiritual Response Therapy.)
I also carry a lot of tension in my neck and shoulders and I have found it very helpful.
I had a serious problem with my neck (same as PP, on the left side) a month ago, when it seized up in the middle of the night. I was effectively immobilized for two days - I went to a masseuse and it felt great, but the moment I stood up after the massage, my neck seized up again. I took painkillers and applied hot compresses, took hot baths, etc. and they would all provide temporary relief. Until I had an EFT/SRT session (over the phone) with my mom, who is a practitioner. Within a hour I went from 20% mobility to 90% and over the next day (with hot compresses, and a new tempurpedic pillow) my neck was as good as new. I really recommend you check it out. It's worked wonders for me (and not just for physical pain, but stress issues, too.)
HTH!

lovin2shop
10-28-2009, 04:41 PM
Ivy, have you tried Egoscue's exercise DVDs? I'm definitely trying to get more active, so this might be a good way. And SSTE, I know from your posts that you are a researcher, so I'm definitely going to take your word for it. I do need to exercise more and I want to lose a few pounds before the holidays, so I guess my body is trying to tell me something.

And Reb, I've never heard of EFT/SRT, but I will definitely look into it further. Thanksf or the suggestions!

ThreeofUs
10-28-2009, 05:38 PM
Ivy, have you tried Egoscue's exercise DVDs? I'm definitely trying to get more active, so this might be a good way.

Silly me - didn't know he even had them! That's a great idea! I think I'll try one....

brittone2
10-28-2009, 05:46 PM
Do you sit at a desk or other work space a great deal during the day? Sometimes that can lead to forward head posture and can create muscle imbalances and issues that lead to neck pain and headaches in some individuals.

There is sometimes a postural component regardless of how much you sit or don't sit at a desk. You could talk with a physical therapist about getting some exercises (stretches and strengthening exercises) to address your posture and core strength.

If you spend a lot of time at a desk, a good ergonomically sound setup with periodic stretches for your neck muscles (would consult with a physical therapist if possible), neck retractions, etc. can all help.

eta: you could also look for a PT that treats patients using myofascial release. If you have that much soreness you may have "trigger points" that they can work on. There are little tools like the "back knobber" that can be used by a patient to hit those trigger points once you have a better idea of where to use it and how (with the guidance of a professional)

bigpassport
10-28-2009, 06:21 PM
It helps to stop what you're doing 3-4 times a day and stretch the neck and shouders. While you're doing your stretching breathe in deeply and exhale fully a few times.

Pepper
10-28-2009, 07:09 PM
Try yoga! I love it. Especially cat pose for tight shoulders and upper back :)

Melaine
10-28-2009, 07:12 PM
I know everyone has given helpful responses and I think you should definitely do other things as well. But, I also want to recommend a baltic Amber Necklace. I also have neck pain and stiffness. The chiropractor basically told me my neck stays out of place unless I get adjusted often, which I cannot afford. The necklace doesn't take it away, but it DOES dull the pain. If I go to bed and have forgotten to put it on, I will end up getting up to hunt it down. I definitely can tell the difference. It may sound crazy, but it helps me!

tmarie
10-28-2009, 08:04 PM
I have the same problem with neck and shoulder pain--I hold all my tension there. This summer it was so bad that my internist prescribed physical therapy. I only did about 8 sessions, but it helped tremendously! They gave me so many exercises that I could easily do on my own, and helped me address posture issues at my desk and for my sleeping position. It has been great because it's given me the ability to manage the issue on my own. Massages help too! :)

tmarie

lovin2shop
10-29-2009, 04:58 PM
The physical therapy is probably a good idea at this point. I do sit at my desk and look at spreadsheets all day, so I'm sure this has a lot to do with it.

I ordered the DVD on amazon and I'm going to give that a try first. But, if I need the therapy, is it correct that I need to schedule an appointment with my regular doctor to get a "prescription" for this? Or can you just call the PT place directly for an appointment?

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I feel better just knowing that I'm actually going to try to do something for this besides buying too many expensive pillows!

brittone2
10-29-2009, 05:02 PM
The physical therapy is probably a good idea at this point. I do sit at my desk and look at spreadsheets all day, so I'm sure this has a lot to do with it.

I ordered the DVD on amazon and I'm going to give that a try first. But, if I need the therapy, is it correct that I need to schedule an appointment with my regular doctor to get a "prescription" for this? Or can you just call the PT place directly for an appointment?

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I feel better just knowing that I'm actually going to try to do something for this besides buying too many expensive pillows!

Some states allow "direct access" to outpatient physical therapy services. Sometimes insurance still wants a referral even in direct access situations. If your doc will give you one without a hassle, it would help to have it. You could call the local outpatient physical therapy practices in your area and ask how it works with your specific state and insurance.

If you sit at a desk all day, YES, that will absolutely, positively do it. There are many small (and larger) neck muscles that get out of balance with forward head posture (typical of what happens when you are sitting at a computer screen for hours daily). A PT can show you exercises that will help. You should definitely also look into getting a good, ergonomically sound setup for your desk (monitor at appropriate height, good chair and desk at correct height so you aren't hiking your shoulder up to use the mouse, etc. etc.)

lovin2shop
10-29-2009, 05:10 PM
Thanks again for all the helpful information, brittone.

And Melaine, very interesting about the Amber necklaces. How long/often do you wear it?

Melaine
10-29-2009, 06:48 PM
Thanks again for all the helpful information, brittone.

And Melaine, very interesting about the Amber necklaces. How long/often do you wear it?

I actually wear it almost 24/7. I am allergic to metal so it is one of the few items that doesn't bother me. Sometimes I forget to put it back on after I shower and that is when I will notice my neck pain starting to get worse.

The girls and I have matching necklaces from here: http://hyenacart.com/inspiredbyfinn/index.php?viewall=1
I can really vouch for the quality as we've been wearing them nearly constantly for over a year and a half. For Christmas, I think we will try the hazelwood necklaces.

nupe
10-30-2009, 03:11 PM
These are the things that have helped me the most:
1) regular exercise
2) massage/acu
3) pillow
I had one like this for years, from sharper image, which was fabulous. I also have the travel verison from sharper image, and use that when I travel.
http://www.tempurpedic.com/pillows/therapy/the_neckpillow_by_tempur_pedic/

I tried the LNT version, but it was too hard for me. Now I am using a regular shaped pillow, that is very firm and made of the same material and seems to be doing okay.