PDA

View Full Version : Another H1N1 Question/Rant: WWYD? Chicago Flu Clinic ?

arivecchi
10-28-2009, 05:00 PM
I am so sick of the distribution issues with this vax. My ped's office does not think they will be getting the H1N1 vax AT ALL, only the mist.

http://www.nmpg.com/default.aspx?article=flu_Pediatrics-information.1.xml

Meanwhile, the idiots at the Chicago Dept. of Health are holding FREE clinics for the vax but are not asking for proof of high-risk category status, so the lines are insane.

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/10/city-starts-h1n1-vaccinations-but-supply-limited.html

Would you wait and hope that the ped gets it in November or wait in line for a couple of hours with a 9 month old and a 2 year old? The 9 month old cannot get the mist so if the ped only gets mist, he'd be out of luck. The 2 year old got the regular flu in mist form on Oct. 17 and I do not know whether the ped would get the mist H1N1 before Nov. 17, in which case, he'd be out of luck too.

baileygirl
10-28-2009, 05:11 PM
I wouldn't wait for the ped. I know here there were several clinics over the weekend that had no waiting to several hours of waiting, so you might try to find a spot that doesn't have huge lines. Or maybe call to see if they have any lulls during the day? You might check other areas near Chicago, to see if you can get an appointment at one of them.

HannaAddict
10-28-2009, 05:26 PM
I would be looking at outlying areas, an hour or more from the city. Check other counties web sites, look not only at health clinics, but private pharmacies since they get an allotment too. Our city was getting the vaccine later than the more rural areas and the lines were not so bad in those areas and local, mom and pop pharmacies would reserve doses for high risk (ie pregnant, etc.) groups for the hour or two it took to arrive. Expand your search and turn over every stone if you are really interested in being vaccinated. I would not count on your ped's office, they may get, they may not and the dates they are giving providers are not reliable. If you can find it and someplace to get it, do it. (Double check about ages at pharmacies if they have it. Some would administer mist to children over two but not do shots under age eight and some had higher ages like age five and even up to 14 for vaccinations.) You need an MPH to figure it all out, and lots of time!

citymama
10-28-2009, 06:50 PM
DD and I are braving the public flu clinics tomorrow. Join the gang...I am NOT waiting since my ped's office said Nov 15 would be the very earliest they expect to have it.

My friend who is an RN at one of the clinics said to get there an hour early to make sure we get the shot. She did say that they're guarding the thimerasol-free ones like hawks - just for pregnant women. They have absurdly few of those (her clinic got just 12 thimerasol-free shots!) Your 2 yr old will almost certainly be given the mist. They may have the half doses of thim-free for the baby. Good luck!

bubbaray
10-28-2009, 06:51 PM
I'd get it now, by whatever means necessary. Can you bring someone else with you to help entertain the children?

arivecchi
10-29-2009, 12:25 PM
Has anyone been to the Chicago flu clinics? I am so dreading going to one today and would appreciate hearing from anyone who has been to one.

sste
10-29-2009, 12:38 PM
My pedi, Dr. Narayan (I think that is the spelling) at Rush had a h1n1 flu vaccine clinic last week. I don't know if he is vaxing kids who aren't his patients but you could call the main rush phone number, ask to be transferred to dr. narayan, and ask his receptionist.

He also gives out lollipops after the shot. :)

arivecchi
10-29-2009, 12:43 PM
My pedi, Dr. Narayan (I think that is the spelling) at Rush had a h1n1 flu vaccine clinic last week. I don't know if he is vaxing kids who aren't his patients but you could call the main rush phone number, ask to be transferred to dr. narayan, and ask his receptionist.

He also gives out lollipops after the shot. :) I called. They don't have any. :(

sste
10-29-2009, 12:46 PM
Sorry! You know, I might lean toward waiting for your pedi versus anything involving the city of chicago and LINES!! It seems more likely your kids will get sick waiting in that line.

I am kind of surprised that your 9 month old in particular has not been able to get vaxed. The whole high risk folks first thing seems to have come completely undone . . .

arivecchi
10-29-2009, 12:49 PM
I am beyond pissed about this. My ped exhausted its first shipment vaccinating siblings of kids under 6 months old and they only got mist, no shots. I would not consider the clinics (all of which seem to be in bad areas as well) were it not for the fact that my ped's office says it is unlikely that they will get the shot form anytime soon and my 9 month old cannot get the mist. :angry-smiley-005:

alexsmommy
10-29-2009, 02:31 PM
Oh, I'm so right there with you. No ped has it around here and our town didn't advertise the first clinic so of course there are no appointments left. I am SICK that people are lying about being high risk. The people dying from this are the legitimately high risk people. I am so worried for DS1.
My peds youngest has it now... so I'm just waiting for her middle child (who shares a locker with DS1) to get it and me to be calling her.

This whole thing is a mess.

Honestly, I can't imagine standing in those lines I'm seeing on TV unless you have a second set of hands to help with the kids.

septmama2b
10-29-2009, 03:04 PM
I am almost 8 months pregnant, and have a 13 month old son. I've been chasing the vaccine all over town the last few weeks. They had a flu shot clinic this morning, that was only announced yesterday and I jumped on it. I waited outside with a toddler in a stroller for 2 hours. The clinic opened at 1 and I was number 71 and back in the car by 1:30. It was a pain, but was worth the wait, as I was getting really frustrated with getting it at the doctor.

I just had decided that I was not going to take my chances with getting it at the doctor, since they can't give me a straight answer on they may get it.

mom2binsd
10-29-2009, 06:46 PM
The counties down here in Central IL are asking for proof of residency as they don't want folks from other counties taking vax for county residents...the one here has turned away many adults who can't prove a serious health issue.

arivecchi
10-29-2009, 07:29 PM
Took 3 hours. What a nightmare. Glad that is over. Thanks to the people who replied promptly to my questions!