PDA

View Full Version : S/O Halloween goody bags for the PC BBBer ;)

Globetrotter
10-28-2009, 05:22 PM
As a room parent, I have to put together some sort of a goody bag for the Halloween party (first grade). In my personal life, I am really particular about not using bags and just giving one nice item, etc... etc... I just go crazy with the little plastic items that the kids bring home (mostly never to use) and litter the house with until they get trashed (or, in our case, freecycled in bulk :wink2:).

I found some large orange cups at Michaels (4 for 79 cents on clearance!). As a true BBBer, I did check the bottom and they are #5 plastic, so all is well with the world :p Alright, so it isn't food grade stainless steel, but what do you do? I will use that instead of a bag and write their names on it in "fancy" writing, as my dd calls it, with a Sharpie.

In consideration of nut allergies, I was thinking of putting in some Tootsie Rolls. What else? Plain m and ms? We do have a severe nut allergy in class, but his mom tells me he is okay if other people have nuts, and he eats peanut butter! (his allergy is mainly to cashews) I'd still like to avoid nuts, as a rule, but "processed in the same facility" is okay here. That boy will get something from home so we don't take any chances.

What else? It has to be inexpensive. I was thinking pencils (they are still cool in first grade! Even my 5th grader loves the mechanical pencils!). Of course, at this point we have about 5000 pencils. I wanted to go and check out Target for deals, but the kids have been sick until today! Maybe Halloween stickers, too?

These all will be given as prizes for the game and for completing the craft and put in their cups. I was going to have them decorate the cups with stickers, but won't they just come off with washing and then look worse? Does it matter? :D

JTsMom
10-28-2009, 05:33 PM
I did treat bags for some of the neighbors' kids. I put some Play-doh in them, stickers (Michael's had some great deals), some candy, glow sticks, and pencils (10/$1 at Target). I also saw little puzzles for relatively little $. I posted a thread looking for nut free treats about a week ago if you want to check out my old posts. There were some good ideas suggested.

KrisM
10-28-2009, 06:06 PM
I gave out Halloween bendy straws at our MOMS club. DS thought they were cool still.

kristenk
10-28-2009, 06:53 PM
I'll second the pencils, Halloween straws, stickers and glow stick ideas. I'll add erasers to the list.

For the craft, how about decorating a plastic pumpkin? I saw a kit on sale at Hobby Lobby that had a lot of mini plastic orange pumpkins. The decorated pumpkin would probably fit into the cup. Or, what about going with real, mini pumpkins? You could have the kids decorate them with stickers.

thomma
10-28-2009, 07:14 PM
I know plain m&m's are nut free but the peanut allergy kids I've had in the past in my classroom couldn't eat them because of cross contamination when made. IIRC something about them being made at the same time/same materials as peanut m&m's. It's been a while since I've had a child with peanut allergies so things may have changed. just a heads up/fyi. I'm sure peanut allergy moms while chime in.

ugh..nevermind...just reread your whole post.

happymom
10-28-2009, 07:21 PM
I was going to have them decorate the cups with stickers, but won't they just come off with washing and then look worse? Does it matter? :D

The cups could be pencil/crayon holders as opposed to drinking cups. That way you dont have to sorry about the stickers or your writing coming off when washed.

randomkid
10-28-2009, 07:56 PM
The cups could be pencil/crayon holders as opposed to drinking cups. That way you dont have to sorry about the stickers or your writing coming off when washed.

:yeahthat: DD was given a cup at Valentine's Day last year and we have always used it as a pencil holder. We have so many plastic cups that I just left the pencils and erasers in it that came with it and put it on her little art table.

For ideas, I would only put one pencil in each cup - we get so many pencils for every occasion. They had some pretty neat hard plastic Halloween stencils at either Wal-Mart or Target - about the size of a small ruler. I wouldn't do erasers - we just throw those out. Target and Wal-Mart both had packs of Halloween treat bag stuff that was pretty useful. Wal-Mart's prices were better.

For allergy free treats, what about lollipops of some sort or small bags of Sweet-Tarts?

Globetrotter
10-28-2009, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the ideas! hadn't considered the pencil cup. honestly, we get so much of ALL these items, but I'm trying to choose the lesser of the evils :)

I am doing this cute craft idea that someone else might want to use (egg carton spiders):
http://www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts/eggcarton/spider.shtml

and a witch hat ring toss :)