PDA

View Full Version : Dentist collecting candy for troops to use for bribes???

mom2binsd
10-28-2009, 10:32 PM
A local dental office is taking donations of candy next week, kids can donate excess candy, and will be given a toy/school supply in exchange. The donated candy is then sent to the troops to be used to "bribe" local children in Afghanistan for information and to simply spread goodwill- anybody else heard of this???? This last bit of information was provided on the radio today on our local radio station, a very reliable news station.

Is this what the great minds at the Pentagon have come up with, instead Cash for Clunkers, Tootsie Pops for Terrorists????? All kidding aside, I am supportive of our troops over there and hope all can come home soon, a friend just lost a cousin to an IED last week and it's all just too much!!!!!!!!!!

I'm all for sending our troops treats/much needed supplies for their personal use and to be given to the children in war ravaged areas....but am not sure I like hearing that we're bribing these kids!

citymama
10-28-2009, 11:00 PM
Oy vey. That is the weirdest thing I've heard all day.

vonfirmath
10-28-2009, 11:28 PM
I have no problems with soldiers paying for information.

AshleyAnn
10-29-2009, 12:24 AM
I don't know about the candy thing but it was/is a common thing in Iraq for soldiers to give the children small gifts. I don't think it was meant to be a bribe so much as way to spread goodwill. I'm always on the watch for cheap beanie babies at yardsales/goodwill to send in my care packages because word is the kids LOVE them there and they are super easy for the soldiers to carry (and you can use them as packing materials and I love to get creative with my boxes). I send candy in my boxes. No idea what the soldiers are using it for - I assumed they were scraffing it up themselves but maybe they are sharing with the locals. I know that oreos do NOT get shared. :) My hubby isn't there yet but we know a few who are so I try to do a care package anytime we can afford it.

MMEand1
10-29-2009, 01:33 AM
I was in Iraq and I know that when we were sent little packages of candy/goodies, everyone got excited because it wasn't something that we could just run out and get if we had a craving. We had dentists in our town that would pay kids $1 a lb of candy after Halloween and then send the candy over to us. I don't think I ever heard of it specifically being sent over to give to the Iraqi's, but I'm sure that that is where some of it ended. I don't think that many people realize that aside from "fighting" the bad guys over there, we also built people up. We taught them many things like pouring concrete and building structures. We made connections with people and even though we may not have been able to speak the same language, there was ALWAYS a way to communicate. I worked with one man whose wife was expecting their first baby and they were pretty poor. My mom sent over a bunch of baby clothes/blankets/socks/etc and this man and his ENTIRE extended Family was SO grateful! Did we give them chocolate? Yes! Did we give them Coke and Pepsi and CLEAN drinking water? Yes! Did they teach us something that we cannot learn back here? Yes! They taught us about the true meaning of selflessness and helping others without expecting something in return. Despite what you hear, there are good people over in Iraq and if some of the Halloween candy ends up in the hands of a little Iraqi child, then they probably will enjoy it and not take it for granted unlike the child here in the States would have...

Sorry, I get off tangent sometimes...I don't think there is anything wrong with the program that tis being run in your area. And no, Oreos do NOT get shared!!

kijip
10-29-2009, 01:40 AM
I think the radio station more than likely is taking it out of context. It sounds more exciting as a bribe than a goodwill act of sharing.

I agree that if it were a bribe, it is flipping bizarre.

Claki
10-29-2009, 09:11 AM
The local police are "buying back" candy and sending it to the troops. I saw a sign. I don't know how kids are "paid" for the candy.

wellyes
10-29-2009, 09:14 AM
I think the idea of getting our Halloween candy to Afghan kids is really nice & completely worthy.

The way the radio presented it seems to be "send candy to find terrorists!" and that is pretty repugnant.

DietCokeLover
10-29-2009, 09:19 AM
makes me wonder if the radio station or announcer didn't slip in a bit of their own personal feelings about the war.

Mikey0709
10-29-2009, 09:24 AM
Seems to be a big thing around here - Dentist's BUYING candy from kids. I have seen ad's in the local paper for at least 3 dentists offering $1/pound - then they will send the candy to soldiers. I'm located in the Philly Suburbs - Chester County.

Kymberley
10-29-2009, 09:25 AM
I was in Iraq and I know that when we were sent little packages of candy/goodies, everyone got excited because it wasn't something that we could just run out and get if we had a craving. We had dentists in our town that would pay kids $1 a lb of candy after Halloween and then send the candy over to us. I don't think I ever heard of it specifically being sent over to give to the Iraqi's, but I'm sure that that is where some of it ended. I don't think that many people realize that aside from "fighting" the bad guys over there, we also built people up. We taught them many things like pouring concrete and building structures. We made connections with people and even though we may not have been able to speak the same language, there was ALWAYS a way to communicate. I worked with one man whose wife was expecting their first baby and they were pretty poor. My mom sent over a bunch of baby clothes/blankets/socks/etc and this man and his ENTIRE extended Family was SO grateful! Did we give them chocolate? Yes! Did we give them Coke and Pepsi and CLEAN drinking water? Yes! Did they teach us something that we cannot learn back here? Yes! They taught us about the true meaning of selflessness and helping others without expecting something in return. Despite what you hear, there are good people over in Iraq and if some of the Halloween candy ends up in the hands of a little Iraqi child, then they probably will enjoy it and not take it for granted unlike the child here in the States would have...

Sorry, I get off tangent sometimes...I don't think there is anything wrong with the program that tis being run in your area. And no, Oreos do NOT get shared!!

Thank you for your service!!!! and for sharing this story. It's changed my perspective for today, which was greatly needed. Thanks so much.

sunshine873
10-29-2009, 10:52 AM

:yeahthat: Thanks for your service! I sure wish we could hear more stories like this on the nightly news, instead of only the doom and gloom. War is ugly, I realize that first hand, but our American service men/women are also doing some incredible things over there and I think they have a lot to be proud of.

alien_host
10-29-2009, 12:14 PM
Here in Mass. there is a store (Magic Beans for you MA mamas) that is taking candy in trade for a 25% off coupon off a toy. They donate the candy to the USO. I think it is very common/legitimate to send the candy to the troops, a friend's brownie troop or other similar type organization did it a few years ago.

from the magic beans e-mail:

Did you know? Magic Beans offers a Candy Buy Back program. Every year, from November 1-10, you can bring your child's Halloween candy to any Magic Beans store and exchange it for a coupon that will give you 25% off of one toy (so your kids will forgive you). Lots of people ask what we do with all that candy. This year, we'll be donating it all to the USO, so it can be shared with troops, both locally and overseas.

brittone2
10-29-2009, 12:16 PM
Our kids' pedi dentist collects candy and pays kids by the pound for what they turn in. I have no idea what he does with it after that. I'm sure his paperwork mentioned it, but I didn't pay attention at the time.

MamaMolly
10-29-2009, 12:17 PM
makes me wonder if the radio station or announcer didn't slip in a bit of their own personal feelings about the war.

:yeahthat: What rubbish. I don't think the children have to 'buy' the candy with information. Let's face it, kids are wily and if they thought that was true can you imagine the nonsense that would follow? I know my very own 3 year old DD figured out the potty-for-jellybeans bribe pretty quickly and worked it (without actually producing....that turkey). The children get the candy as a good will gesture just by being a kid.

mom2binsd
10-29-2009, 06:51 PM

I agree with all you said, I just didn't like the way they presented it on the radio....what are some of the best things we can send over to the troops, DD's school is collecting small items for stockings, individual packets of food, drink mix, toiletries- any suggestions for what is most needed or appreciated?