PDA

View Full Version : Parents of Invention Mei Tai?

AshleyAnn
10-29-2009, 12:36 AM
Has anyone tried this one? I want a carried but have some serious back issues that are going to limit the amount of time I can babywear. I like the idea of a mei tai but spending a bundle on one to use 6 months seems silly. This looks like a good bargin and has ok reviews but whats the baby wearing community saying.

I already have a pouch sling (I think its a jelly beans sling - its a hand me down that DN hated) but I really want a mei tai. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be a wrap user. Suggestions?

hobie
11-09-2009, 08:39 PM
This mei tai is a piece of junk. The fabric is flimsy, and the straps are too short to be able to do different types of ties. Also stay away from the bjorn.

There are way better mei tai's out there! A very sturdy, supportive mt is the Kozy. You can find deals on used ones on www.thebabywearer.com (also a great place to find more info on babywearing).

Why do you need to limit babywearing? Carriers just make it easier to carry your baby, so that you can get things done with 2 hands (especially important for baby's that just don't want to be put down!). Good carriers put less strain on your body and back, than carring the baby in your arms.

AshleyAnn
11-12-2009, 08:03 PM
I have to limit babywearing because I have sever scoliosis and have a lifting limit of 25 lbs and a carrying limit of 15 lbs. My doctor would kill me if he knew I planned to wear my baby - he specifically told me to aviod a carrier and talked about the bjorn style carriers being bad for my back.

SIL and I went to BRU and I got to try DN in all the slings and carriers they had out. They have no MT's. NONE of the slings were comfortable for me - I'm petite and they all felt like he was too low and I felt overwhelmed with fabric. The one and only carrier I really felt good in was the Infantino Front 2 Back Rider. I didn't buy it but Target has one that looks better (the extended wear style rider) I'm considering buying.

I like the look of the Kozy - I'm watching for a good price on ebay.

Katigre
11-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Skip it - it is a piece of junk. If you search on thebabywearer.com boards (here is the original thread reviewing the carrier in detail: http://www.thebabywearer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155387&highlight=POI) you'll find it gets less-than-stellar reviews.

You're better off with a Babyhawk or Kozy mei tai, or an Ergo or Beco clip carrier.

hobie
11-13-2009, 04:54 PM
Your Dr is right...bjorns are bad for your back. All of the baby's weight is hung off of your shoulders, via skinny, unpadded straps. Check out www.thebabywearer.com, especially the special needs forum, for beter help on picking the perfect carrier for you (and you will probably NOT find it at BRU!).

Vestirse
11-13-2009, 05:25 PM
I've heard good things about the Babyhawk mei tai.

If you are open to structured carriers they have the Kelty Kids Wallaby carier on sale at http://www.babysteals.com/

AshleyAnn
11-13-2009, 05:28 PM
Your Dr is right...bjorns are bad for your back. All of the baby's weight is hung off of your shoulders, via skinny, unpadded straps. Check out www.thebabywearer.com, especially the special needs forum, for beter help on picking the perfect carrier for you (and you will probably NOT find it at BRU!).

I did not realize they had a special needs forum! Perfect! Thank you!!!

Well I did a search and found very little good information - most posters say they have mild scoliosis and mine is extreme. It seems most slings and one shouldered carriers are out. Most say they perfer a wrap but I think a wrap would not suit me at all - mainly because I'm petite (5 ft 1, 115 lbs before pregnancy hoping to get back to the 100 lbs I was before TTC) and I felt overwhelmed with the amount of fabric some of the ring slings I've tried had. I can't imagine a wrap.

hobie
11-13-2009, 11:05 PM
You may be pleasantly suprised by the wrap. You can get them in different lengths, so you don't have to have a super long one. Type of fabric is also important. You could also try finding a babywearing group near you, so that you can see and try different carriers in person.

AshleyAnn
11-13-2009, 11:43 PM
You may be pleasantly suprised by the wrap. You can get them in different lengths, so you don't have to have a super long one. Type of fabric is also important. You could also try finding a babywearing group near you, so that you can see and try different carriers in person.

I remember seeing something somewhere about a local babywearing group. I WISH i could remember where. ETA - Google is great. Found them they meet in 2 weeks. Perfect timing I should be ready to take DD out by then.

I'm considering the moby - target has it on sale. I'm all about sales and I have a 10% off coupon if I put it on my registry.

vahnessuh
11-14-2009, 09:09 PM
How about the Pikkolo? It's basically a mei tai with buckles instead of you having to tie it. I have lordosis and while it's not severe, it's something that makes me unable to stand for a long time. Pregnancy was quite hard for me especially the last trimester. The Pikkolo was great. I'm not sure whether that will suit your needs though... but something to try out.

AshleyAnn
11-14-2009, 09:25 PM
How about the Pikkolo? It's basically a mei tai with buckles instead of you having to tie it. I have lordosis and while it's not severe, it's something that makes me unable to stand for a long time. Pregnancy was quite hard for me especially the last trimester. The Pikkolo was great. I'm not sure whether that will suit your needs though... but something to try out.

Wow the Pikkolo looks great! Too bad its twice my spending limit. Well off to check Ebay.

hobie
11-14-2009, 10:23 PM
If you are looking for a used carrier, take another look at thebabywearer...they have a FSOT forum (For Sale or Trade) where you can find good deals on carriers.