PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for homemade Christmas cards

mariza
10-29-2009, 12:48 AM
I think I have looked at every Photo Card website out there and am very underwhelmed by the selections in my price range (don't want to spend $1+ per card).
I want something simple and classic and am thinking a "real" card as opposed to one page picture cards that I've done in the past. I was thinking of ordering a bunch of 4x6 prints of my favorite picture and some cardstock and doing it myself. Sounded easy enough until I went onto marcospaper.com and got really confused as to what size cardstock and envelopes to order (A7, A5?).
Any creative mama's out there have any tips, recommended websites, etc.? I'm interested in stamping as well so I was thinking a folded card that I could secure a 4x6 photo and handwrite the inside or maybe print out a message. I can handle some simple stamping or maybe use the snowflake hole punch laying at the bottom of my desk drawer. Help please!

sariana
10-29-2009, 12:54 AM
I know that Target has kits designed for people to make their own baby announcements and shower invitations and things. I haven't looked, but maybe they also have some for holiday cards???

Those that I'm thinking of don't fold, but they are cardstock with some sort of pattern. You can attach a picture anywhere on the card and print a message on your word processor. (Well, the other way around, but you know what I mean.) They come with envelopes, so you wouldn't need to worry about matching sizes.

I just made some "sprinkle" invitations tonight. When DD was born, I used a different kit. I printed wallet-size pictures and used the included ribbon to tie them to the cards. The "announcement" was printed in the area below the picture.

AshleyAnn
10-29-2009, 02:51 AM
I make my own cards for individuals (birthdays, babies, ect.) and have found the expensive part is the envelopes. I've yet to brave christmas - one day I will but not this year since I already bought the cards.

I'm doing store bought cards with a photo of DD tucked inside (she'll be 4 weeks old at Christmas getting a picture taken printed will be hard enough)

kijip
10-29-2009, 04:20 AM
If you order 3 x 5 pictures you can make 2 cards out of each piece of 8 and 1/2 by 11 paper- simply cut in half across the short side and then fold over, then glue the picture onto the front. That is the cheapest way I have found to make nice looking photo cards. The envelopes you would want for that size are an A6- which is almost 5 inches by 6.5 inches. So perfect for the finished/folded dimensions of a 1/2 sheet of 8 and 1/2 by 11 paper (card is 5.5 by 4.25).

"A" in some types of envelopes means Announcement. They range in size from like an A2 (for a card that is about 4 by 5) to a A10 which is for 6 by 9 or thereabouts cards. IME you won't save anything much if you buy blank cards in a larger size and decorate them unless the paper is pretty skimpy or you are buying cards in bulk (500+). It's a fun project, but not a money saving endeavor that way. Cutting down a larger piece of card stock is economical IME. You can cut down from ledger or legal for a bigger card. As are more common in paper stores than other systems now.

I won't even go into why I know so much about envelope sizes. :ROTFLMAO:

JTsMom
10-29-2009, 07:11 AM
I make my own cards. You can either buy a package of cardstock at Michaels (usually $4 for 50 sheets), cut it and fold it to size, OR, buy a package of pre-cut cards and envelopes (also at Michaels) for $10 (use a 40% coupon, or just watch for a sale). That's the easier method, of course, and everything is already the right size.

I usually cut/glue scrapbook paper to the card to make it fancier, and then add stamps/punches/whatever, in addition to the picture.

Another option is a scrapbook store. Some have all different types and colors of cards and envelopes.

I'm going to tell you, every year I pull my hair out trying to get it done, but I do enjoy it.

SnuggleBuggles
10-29-2009, 07:57 AM
Or you could go old school and buy a box of Christmas cards and stick your picture inside. :) You could maybe buy some really cheap cards and just glue your picture over the front cover. Bonus is that if you like the inside message you just need to sign.

Beth

elephantmeg
10-29-2009, 08:50 AM
if you use 8 1/2 x 11 cardstock cut into 2 cards you can use standard inviatation envelopes that you can buy anywhere

egoldber
10-29-2009, 08:55 AM
Just make sure that by the time you add in the cost of your own cards/cardstock, envelopes, photos and supplies, that it is actually cheaper per card. If you enjoy it that's one thing, but if you want to save money, it surprising how quickly the costs can add up!

JTsMom
10-29-2009, 10:18 AM
Just make sure that by the time you add in the cost of your own cards/cardstock, envelopes, photos and supplies, that it is actually cheaper per card. If you enjoy it that's one thing, but if you want to save money, it surprising how quickly the costs can add up!

Oh yeah, it's very rarely cheaper. I have a lot of stuff already- stamps, inks, etc, and even so, I probably spend around $1-$1.25 per card. If you keep it really simple though, you wouldn't have to- but to me, that defeats the purpose. :) The scrapbook paper is what always ends up breaking the bank for me. I only send out about 25 though, so I'm ok with that. Don't forget to add in the cost of the photos.

mariza
10-29-2009, 01:48 PM
I have a $15 credit at Kodak Gallery, so that should take care of the price of the pictures. The prices at Marcospaper.com looked good, but I really won't know for sure until I figure out what I need. I also have a 50% off coupon from A.C. Moore, but that is only good for one item so maybe they have a kit I can look at. Thanks for the tips :)