PDA

View Full Version : YIKES this is scary.

Melaine
10-29-2009, 11:00 AM
My dog just started barking like crazy and I looked out and there were 6 cop cars with lights going right in front of my house. They were cuffing a guy and put him in the back of one of the cars. That was about 20 minutes ago and two police cars (one with the guy) are still out there. Two other unmarked cars pulled up and guys with badges and guns (but no uniforms) got out and are now talking to the guy that was handcuffed. They are standing in my yard! I'm a little freaked out but I am not about to walk out there. The thing that makes me uncomfortable is that I don't know all our neighbors and he could be one of them for all I know.

All that to say, is there any way I can find out what happened just for my own info? I mean, who knows he might have been going door to door trying to KIDNAP kids. I would really like to know what is going on. Our neighborhood is not the safest one ever. Unfortunately, our car is in the shop so we are stuck here and I guess it doesn't even look like we are home with no car in the driveway. Makes me very nervous....

jenny
10-29-2009, 11:05 AM
Can you wait until the cop with the guy has left and see if another cop is around to talk to him? i would want to know what's going on. perhaps you can call the police station--is the number on the patrol car---and tell them there is police activity on your front lawn and you are concerned???

Melaine
10-29-2009, 11:06 AM
Can you wait until the cop with the guy has left and see if another cop is around to talk to him? i would want to know what's going on. perhaps you can call the police station--is the number on the patrol car---and tell them there is police activity on your front lawn and you are concerned???

Good point. I will see if there is a # on the car. Thanks!

Bens Momma
10-29-2009, 11:16 AM
Something similar happened to us last year with a police helicopter w/ searchlight circling the area around our house. We live in a very quiet, fairly crime free area so I was freaked out! I called the police station and asked them what was going on & they gave me some general info. Turns out there had been a string of robberies and they were searching for the suspect who was seen fleeing one of the homes on foot. I would call your local police and ask them what's going on for safety purposes and your piece of mind!

Hugs-
R.
Momma to 2 ACTIVE DS :bouncy::bouncy:

happymom
10-29-2009, 11:26 AM
I would definitely call. You have a right to know whats going on in your own yard! Even if they cant tell you specifics, they should at least give you a general idea...let us know what happens!

Melaine
10-29-2009, 11:54 AM
Ok I talked to a cop and it was a guy breaking into a house nearby!!! They did take him to jail though. This is not cool.

happymom
10-29-2009, 11:57 AM
:shake: Uh oh. I wouldnt be too thrilled either! but at least he was caught!!

Melaine
10-29-2009, 11:58 AM
I think we are moving.

hellokitty
10-29-2009, 12:07 PM
It's not just you. We live in a, "nice" neighborhood and there have been robberies. Enough that ADT has been targeting our neighborhood. Another friend of in a more upscale neighborhood than ours is freaked out, b/c there have been like 3 robberies in a span of a month. I think that b/c of the economy, robberies in general are up. Does your neighborhood have neighborhood watch? If not, you should ask the police station to help you start one up.

SnuggleBuggles
10-29-2009, 01:40 PM
Yikes! My acquaintances' house was broken into a few weeks ago and I thought, "well that stinks and I'm glad they are safe". Then I heard that they live in my neighborhood and several homes have been broken into recently. They target corner houses so I'm glad I don't have one of those.

Each month my borough puts out a newsletter and it contains a police log. They say how many incidents there were. One of the categories is rape, robbery, arson, homicide and then some less scary things but they lump them all together. They break them down some after that like 3 burglary, 25 for shoplifting and then it will say like 14 "other crimes." What are the other crimes? rape? Murder? I'd really like to know!! kwim??

((((hugs)))) get a security system and a dog. :) Stay safe and try not to worry too much.

Beth

egoldber
10-29-2009, 01:44 PM
I think that b/c of the economy, robberies in general are up.

:yeahthat: Our neighborhood is very safe and feels safe, but petty crime and break-ins are up. Lots of people trying to grab small electronics to sell for cash. :(

Melaine
10-29-2009, 01:47 PM
Thanks everyone. I really do think a security system would be worthwhile. This really shook me up. I know that you guys are right that these break-ins are on the rise and that most neighborhoods aren't completely safe from them. Still, it makes me very worried and the cop even said something to the effect of "this neighborhood has been going downhill". We did have a security system canvassing the neighborhood because our crime rate is high.
Truthfully, we've been talking about moving. This definitely adds fuel to that fire.

Beth, we DO live on a corner lot!:eek:

maestramommy
10-29-2009, 02:41 PM
It's not just you. We live in a, "nice" neighborhood and there have been robberies. Enough that ADT has been targeting our neighborhood. Another friend of in a more upscale neighborhood than ours is freaked out, b/c there have been like 3 robberies in a span of a month. I think that b/c of the economy, robberies in general are up. Does your neighborhood have neighborhood watch? If not, you should ask the police station to help you start one up.

I agree with pp. We live in a nice neighborhood of a nice town. When you look at the police blotter it's mostly DUI or driving with a revoked/suspended license, and maybe shoplifting. But during the summer there have been several break-ins during the day. One of them happened behind our neighbor's house across the street. Someone had called the police, and they actually got there in time to catch one person. It could be the economy making people more desperate, although I've heard speculation that it's teenagers. We are considering getting a security system until we're ready to get a dog.

It feels ironic to me that we used to live in an apt complex in a suburb of L.A and never felt the possibility of crime. And here we are in quiet suburban NH and thinking of getting a security system!

bubbaray
10-29-2009, 02:52 PM
We had a similar incident about 3 years ago. It was a summer evening, DH was out on a Search & Rescue call and I was home alone with DD#1 (Pg with DD#2) and about 9pm the dog just started freaking out. It scared the poop out of me as our dog pretty much never barks. Our front door has windows all around it and I looked from our second floor to the foyer to see a guy hiding in our doorway! I called 911 right away as it kinda looked like the guy was trying to break the glass. I was kinda hiding in the upstairs office so I could see the guy, but he couldn't see me. Unfortunately, it also meant that I didn't really have any means of defending myself if he did break in (we dont' own any weapons and anything like a knife was downstairs in the kitchen).

While I was on the phone with 911, I asked the operator what I should do if the guy tried to break in while the police were on their way. He said that I should turn the dog on the guy. I laughed (see avatar) b/c our dog is normally only interested in treats, not chewing on people! However, dear dog was NOT behaving normally and I do think that he might have attacked that guy.

Anyway, long story short, stupid bad guy had apparently robbed a taxi a few blocks away and decided that he would hide in our front entrance way -- our house being the BEST lit up house on the block! What an idiot. That explained why there was a taxi parked a couple of houses away (usually , no taxis in our area). Two cop cars showed up and they took the guy down (kinda roughly, actually) in our front yard! He had a knife and the money he stole from the taxi. Afterwards, the cops took my statement and told me the whole story.

DH really wants to get a big Rottie as our next dog.

DietCokeLover
10-29-2009, 04:05 PM
Be very careful of security companies coming door to door, it could be potential thieves. I always tell callers or sales people that we already have a system, just so they don't target me. If I want a system in the future, I'll make the first contact.

Melaine
10-29-2009, 04:09 PM
Be very careful of security companies coming door to door, it could be potential thieves. I always tell callers or sales people that we already have a system, just so they don't target me. If I want a system in the future, I'll make the first contact.

Wow....I did NOT think of that!! And I am usually so suspicious!

TwinFoxes
10-29-2009, 04:22 PM
How very scary! Just another reason for all of us to love our dogs! I'm glad you found out what was happening.

Since we're sharing scary crime stories. When we lived in LA and I was pregnant and DH was out of town, my dogs started going insane! More so than even when the postman is out front. I thought I heard something on the side of our house. Then there was screeching police cars lights. I go out, ALL of our neighbors are out of their houses. Apparently there was a car chase through our neighborhood (how L-A, right?) and the guy crashed into the corner of a building across from us, and RAN ALONG THE SIDE OF OUR HOUSE! :eek: I'm sure any thoughts he had of staying went right out the window when he heard our Boxer trying to crash through the window to get at him (not sure the poodle scared him ;) ) It was very scary though, to wake up to someone running past my window as my dog was trying to get him. I love my dogs so much, but that night I was especially thankful I have them (and that I let them sleep with me!)