PDA

View Full Version : Blocks for DD turning one year old?

Krisrich
10-29-2009, 11:50 AM
Any ideas? I was thinking I'd like wooden, nontoxic alphabet blocks but I'm not sure where to get them. I'm also open to other suggestions...

baileygirl
10-29-2009, 12:14 PM
My favorite alphabet blocks are by Uncle Goose. If you google them, you can find them several places (I forget where I originally bought them) including amazon.com.

new_mommy25
10-29-2009, 01:16 PM
We have the M&D alphabet blocks, but I think the Uncle Goose blocks look lovely. I would have preferred those if they were available when my DS was younger. When my DD turned one I bought her the Haba Fantasy Blocks. They are truly gorgeous. The kids still play with them!

zoestargrove
10-29-2009, 01:25 PM
not a traditional block suggestion, but I was thinking about how wonderful and worthwhile this purchase was 4 years ago because of all the play they CONTINUE get.

The extra large set of rainbow arches. They are like blocks, they can be stacked to make various towers and abstract sculptures. Like a puzzle, they nest to form a rainbow. They teach colors, sizes and the list of how many ways my boys have incorporated these blocks would be pages long. I am not kidding when I say - that these get pulled out and used multiple time every week for the past 4 years!

On top of all that they are simply beautiful and I love having them out and on display.

http://www.atoygarden.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=291&CFID=1097155&CFTOKEN=445c18da0d2daa4f-A14C9F32-D61C-E357-D491579A03671FB9

looking back on all the toys we've purchased over the year - these are my absolute favorite!

We also have a large lovely set of unit blocks from Barclay blocks. I think we've owned this set for 3 years. The first year-2 years they hardly got used - now that my boys are 4 and 5 - they love them and build with them everyday.

alirebco
10-29-2009, 05:24 PM
We have the Haba Fantasy blocks and the Uncle Goose alphabet blocks. Love them both.

traciann
10-29-2009, 06:01 PM
I am looking at the Discovery Toys EZ blocks. They are not suppose to topple as easily, and they make sounds which I know my dd will love.

ourbabygirl
10-29-2009, 08:48 PM
I bought a set of Uncle Goose blocks (Spanish version) a few weeks back, right after DD turned 1. Bought them from some company in Illinois, through Amazon. I like them a lot, but of course DH likes them the most- he makes some crazy towers with them, and DD just goes and pushes them over, but eventually she'll get more use out of them (hopefully) :). They seem really well-made, and I love that they have so many versions (in different languages, with nursery rhyme characters, lower case alphabet, braille, even the presidents!). Just wish we would have ordered some sort of bag to carry them in- they're just sitting on top of a little shelf right now, and they don't *quite* fit in a big Ziploc bag.