PDA

View Full Version : When did you take your DC to the dentist for the first time?

sfmom
10-29-2009, 03:55 PM
DD is nearly 2 and I've been thinking it might be time to take her to the dentist. She's had (what appears to me) a full set of teeth for a while and brushing is ....shall we say, a challenge ;)

So I was wondering at what age you took DC to the dentist for the first time and what do the dentists generally do at that first visit?

Thanks!

slworld
10-29-2009, 03:57 PM
DS is 16months old and I am wondering if I need to add him to our insurance for dental coverage next year. Will be keeping an eye on this thread.

brittone2
10-29-2009, 03:59 PM
DS went at 15 months when I noticed minor discoloration on the back of an upper central incisor (was a small cavity).

DD went at 2-2.5 and did great as she could see big brother in the chair next to her (DS only recently started sitting in the chair vs. a lap for our exams with the pedi dentist, but he obviously had a more traumatic introduction to the dental world).

Some groups (ADA I think?) say by age 1. Some dentists won't see kids until more like age 3 (often the case with dentists that aren't specifically pediatric dentists as they just aren't accustomed to working with kids).

eta: the first few visits are generally just "counting teeth" and a quick exam and parent education IME. Our pedi dentist didn't start doing a full cleaning on DS's teeth until he was about 4. That was when he first started being willing to sit in a regular exam chair, etc. DD was very cooperative w/ her first visit, sat in the chair, etc. and they said they may attempt to clean her teeth a bit at her next visit if she's similarly cooperative. I won't hold my breath though ;)

Reyadawnbringer
10-29-2009, 04:03 PM
Just took DS to the dentist on the 21st. It was THE DAY of his first birthday. The dentist checked to make sure his teeth are clean, bite was good, and checked to see how many teeth DS has. He let us know that DS will be sprouting 8 MORE teeth (he already has 8) in the next 2-3 months. He showed us where there were some hematomas (I think thats what he called them) right around where DS's molars are coming in and that is why he has been refusing food (good to know! we were worried). He brushed DS's teeth and was shocked when DS opened his mouth for the toothbrush and even took it from him and started to brush his own teeth (yay! all that practicing has been paying off!).

Overall it was a very good and informative visit. I am glad we did not wait because he warned us what is to come.

SnuggleBuggles
10-29-2009, 04:03 PM
18 months. eta- they counted his teeth and then just did a look at each. Finally, they brushed them with a toothbrush.

Beth

baileygirl
10-29-2009, 04:08 PM
DS1 went around 16 months and DS2 will have his first official visit at 13 months. The first visit the dentist just talked to us about taking care of his teeth, took a look at them, counted them and maybe someone brushed them? The dentist basically had him sit on my lap and then had him lay back so his head was in his lap. I think the idea was to educate me, get his used to going to the dentist and check for any major problems. His second visit was pretty much the same and then his third visit they started doing minor cleaning, flouride, etc. His cousin had 6 cavities at his 4 year appointment (I think he started going at 3, but they had a hard time checking his teeth), so it is important for me that they go early and every 6 months.

rlu
10-29-2009, 04:44 PM
18 months, DS chipped a tooth. Basically then all the dentist did was have DH hold DS upside down, which naturally opened DS's mouth, while dentist (a dad of two and friend of DH) peered into his mouth. Our dentist, not advertised as a ped dentist but does take them, told us he recommends first checkup at age 1. So, we took DS back around 2 and had a "first checkup" which was mainly getting DS used to the chair and the instruments and having the dentist looking into his mouth. We were brushing his teeth early on so no issues of him opening his mouth for the dentist.

This last visit (DS goes twice a year) the dentist got a little more firm (to DH and I) about flossing his teeth (DS has a few tight spots) and we're being really good about flossing now. I use those floss picks or flossers (I think that's what they are called) and do between his back teeth while DS does between his more front teeth. DS is 5.5 now though, not as young as OP's child.

I'll do a plug for vision care too at this point since my last employer paired vision and dental insurance as one plan. Call around the eye doctors for a complimentary vision test for your child around 1 year old. They do simple tests and more extensive as the kids get older, but an eye doctor can look for so many more issues than a ped can. DS is the only kid in his K class with glasses now, but at least one other kid (out of 20) most likely needs them and has an eye dr appt scheduled.

bubbaray
10-29-2009, 04:46 PM
18m with DD#1, around 13m with DD#2. Dentists here recommend the first visit be around 12m.

belovedgandp
10-29-2009, 05:22 PM
Right around 3. I took DS1 with me to watch my cleaning when he was just shy of 2 1/2. My plan was to then make an appointment for him since he watched me and would know what was coming. Thinking it would be in the next month or so. The dentist let him sit in the chair and just looked in his mouth. At his suggestion, I kept things easier on myself and waited 6 months so that we could both come back together. So he was 3, I was surprised that they did a full cleaning. He's 5 1/2 and has been going every 6 months since 3. We'll have our first x-rays at the appointment when he's 6 to check on molars. He hasn't lost any teeth yet.

DS2 is going with us next time for his first appointment, he'll be 4 months shy of 3, but will want to do anything his brother does, so I went ahead and scheduled all three of our appointments together.

AnnieW625
10-29-2009, 05:27 PM
DD was just 3. We waited until all of her teeth were in.

JBaxter
10-29-2009, 05:35 PM
My own children were 3yrs old. I was a dental hygienist for 16yrs and all the offices I worked in didnt see them till about 3yrs old UNLESS the parents saw a problem.

o_mom
10-29-2009, 05:50 PM
Here's a thread from a couple weeks ago with a bunch of replies: http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=336569

Ours started going at about 18-24 months as I know quite a few people who had to have multiple fillings and caps on toddlers because they couldn't tell that there was an issue until it was too late. Ours does an exam (usually with them laying back on my lap), quick brushing and fluoride if you want it.