PDA

View Full Version : experienced flyers please help!

kochh2
10-29-2009, 04:21 PM
we are planning our first family vacation in february, and trying to save some $-- DD willbe 3 in end of march, but is on the VERY petite size, and can easily pass for an almost 2 year old by looks. by actions and language at home, at least, she could pass for an amost 15 year old LOL... no, not really, she has articulation delay-- i think it's just that sass.. anyway, we are planning on flying (3 hr. flight) with her on on our laps, and claiming she is under 2. people have suggested we bring birth cert. for ID, and obviously to verify the age thing, i'm sure... but what if we don't?? what if she has no passport, and we dont bring a birth certificate?/ flying from Small-ish airport in NY to MCO in orlando, will either refuse to let her on with us?? what would happen?? We have no problem with her on our laps, and even if she did have a seat, she'd climb on our laps, anyway. has anyone chanced it?? or flown with a little one without bringing soem form of ID??

also, for our 5 year old, what about ID there?/ no one has mentioned that for him....

help!!! thanks!! H

TwinFoxes
10-29-2009, 04:27 PM
I've seen people being asked for ID for their kids. They were really mad. If I had to guess I would say the kid was older than 2, but I don't know for sure. I would also think that flying to Orlando airlines will be on the lookout for kids trying to fly for free.

I didn't see the outcome IRL, but did you ever see that old A&E show "Airline" that followed Southwest Airline employees? They "carded" kids on that show, and would make the parents call the hospital the kid was born in and have them fax records over. They weren't fooling around!

brittone2
10-29-2009, 04:31 PM
I think if a kid is even remotely close to possibly looking close to or over 2, you should be prepared that they might ask for some form of ID. Even if she's passable as under 2, I'd guess that they may very well end up asking to see ID to verify since she'll at least look close to 2/borderline, kwim?

egoldber
10-29-2009, 04:32 PM
FWIW, I have never, ever carried ID for my kids when flying (except overseas with a passport, but that's different). We have flown dozens of times.

However, I would buy her a seat. They can deny you seating. Are you willing to risk that for the cost of the ticket?

Snow mom
10-29-2009, 04:37 PM
We've only flown when DD was clearly under two (which she still is.) We weren't asked for any ID for her when we flew but I think the chances of having to show ID go up as your child looks older/ closer to the cutoff. We had to call the airline to get her authorized as a lap child and had to give DOB then. Personally I wouldn't chance it. They have every right to deny you boarding if you don't have a birth certificate. I imagine they could offer you the choice of buying an open seat at market price which would certainly be more than the ticket will cost you now.

ETA: Try finding an airline with a reduced fare for kids-- that will save you some $.

egoldber
10-29-2009, 04:40 PM
We had to call the airline to get her authorized as a lap child and had to give DOB then.

Ah yes, we do have to do that and even a lap child needs a boarding pass.

vonfirmath
10-29-2009, 04:43 PM
I would buy her a seat rather than have your kids see that you believe lying is okay in order to save money.

jgenie
10-29-2009, 04:44 PM
Personally I wouldn't chance it. They have every right to deny you boarding if you don't have a birth certificate. I imagine they could offer you the choice of buying an open seat at market price which would certainly be more than the ticket will cost you now.

:yeahthat: Flying with kids is stressful enough on its own. I wouldn't want to add any additional stress or take the chance that the flight was sold out and not be able to come home when planned.

Nooknookmom
10-29-2009, 04:52 PM
I wouldn't chance anything. We just flew AA with DD (2) and they identified each of us every time we boarded (changed planes 1x), I had the kids birth certs & my FAA carseat regulations just in case. We always get the kids seats b/c I am neurotic about carseat safety and after a really scary turbulence incident I won't fly with a kid on my lap.

Even having the seats in order, flying with little ones is stressful, would NOT want to add anymore to that experience!!

It would be like driving all the way to Disnyland, trying to sneak a kiddo in claiming they're under 3 and getting kicked out of the park-no thanks!!

Have a great trip though :)

catcombs
10-29-2009, 04:56 PM
Yes, they can deny you to board the plane without the birth certificate. I flew from Orange County to San Jose once with my DD when she was probably 17 months and I forgot her birth certificate and they would not give me the lap child pass until I presented the birth certificate. Luckily we live fairly close to the airport and my husband was able to run home and get it for me.

SnuggleBuggles
10-29-2009, 04:56 PM
I agree with Snow mom. Not a chance I would take. What if you showed up, they demanded ID, and then either would deny you her riding or make you buy a ticket that day which could easily be $1000+. It's safer to be in a carseat and not worth the risk of being in a really tough situation that could easily be avoided.

We had to have a birth certificate for ds2 when flying on SWA. We bought him a seat and he was under 2. They wanted ID to give me the under 2 rate.

Beth

bubbaray
10-29-2009, 04:57 PM
Even having the seats in order, flying with little ones is stressful, would NOT want to add anymore to that experience!!

It would be like driving all the way to Disnyland, trying to sneak a kiddo in claiming they're under 3 and getting kicked out of the park-no thanks!!

:yeahthat:

Then there is the whole karma thing....

applebutter
10-29-2009, 05:13 PM
We flew to Disneyworld when DS was 5 and they asked for his birth certificate both ways... Like everyone else has posted, not worth the risk!

belovedgandp
10-29-2009, 05:15 PM
While there is some variance on vigilance from airline to airline and airport to airport, but absolutely I would not risk it.

I had a family emergency and flew with my 6 week old as a lap child. With me in tears holding a newborn they finally let me on, but it was not pretty and obviously I wasn't even close to sneaking in around 2. I had the birth certificate sent to me for the return flight.

Now what is crazy is that if you pay for a regular ticket (like I have for my kids since) they don't care what age they are at all. With a ticket we've never been asked for ID for kids from 6 months to 5 years old.

AnnieW625
10-29-2009, 05:20 PM
I would buy her a seat to be safe. We were really lucky that flying out of Long Beach the security people and Jet Blue employees never asked us for her birth certificate before Elisa was 2. We never had an issue, but I would not want to even chance it. Children under a certain age, 13 I think don't need id. Some airlines/airports are just real sticklers about having birth certificates for kids under 2.

tiapam
10-29-2009, 05:23 PM
I wouldn't do this for all of the reasons given by PP. Also, your 5 YO is old enough for them to ask him how old your DD is. And your DD could have a growth spurt or be speaking in full sentences by then.

Are you traveling early in Feb? Southwest and American are having great sales, have to buy by tonight, I think, and finish travel by Feb 10, I think? It's in the Bargains Forum.

codex57
10-29-2009, 05:33 PM
I wouldn't do it. Orlando is such a family destination, you're almost guaranteed to be asked on one of the legs. I wasn't asked at Long Beach either, but I wasn't going to a place known for tourism either. Plus, LB is so small and casual unlike Orlando's airport. I have been asked multiple times before at other airports tho.

No way would I risk it.

Seitvonzu
10-29-2009, 07:11 PM
my daughter is 22 months and she flew at 3, 9, and 15 months. the last time i flew on southwest because they were the only direct flight (the first two times were on american i believe). When i flew this last time, i was definitely asked to show ID for her (i brought a copy of her birth certificate). my child is petite and at 15 months definitely did not look like a two year old, but they still wanted "proof." she wasn't even walking (she started on that trip)...and they still wanted proof.

we are flying for the holidays, leaving before lu's birthday and coming home after. i didn't even try the "free flight" business, just got her a seat. it's just so much better for everyone. i wouldn't risk it.

kbud
10-29-2009, 07:50 PM
By doing this you are breaking a federal law which requires children 24 months old and older to occupy their own seat. I have been known to take my barely 3 year old to Disney w/out a ticket but only because we are pass holders and I didn't want to purchase her pass and have it be out of sink with ours on the renewal dates. We purchased her pass when we renewed ours. I also see that to be a bit different than breaking a federal law.

I'm a former flight attendant and I always asked the kid how old they were, not the parent. A child never says they are younger than they are. Kids never want to be younger than they are.

So in a nutshell, it's illegal.

Momof3Labs
10-29-2009, 08:48 PM
Since your 5yo has his own seat, no ID is required for him.

Southwest requires a birth certificate in order to fly as a lap child. Other airlines reserve the right to verify age. IME, security always asks the kids directly their names, and can ask their ages (may ask a sibling how old the younger one is, for example). Do you really want to coach both of your children to lie about her age?

You are taking the risk that she will not be allowed on board the plane without purchasing a full price ($$$$) fare that day, and if the flight is full, they will not sell you another seat for her at all. It's just not worth the risk - buy her the ticket and be done with it.

jenmcadams
10-29-2009, 10:01 PM

Then there is the whole karma thing....

This was my first thought...I understand wanting to save $$, but this doesn't seem right.

ciw
10-29-2009, 10:50 PM
Please, please, please don't do this. You would be teaching your children that lying is okay as long as you get what you want. You will be breaking a federal law. You will risk having to pay a full price ticket or being kicked off the plane. And you may make things harder and more expensive for other parents down the line. Because so many parents are trying this dishonest trick, an increasing number of businesses are now basing free and reduced entry on height rather than age. That means parents of a tall one year old will have to pay full priced admission to many places and events despite their child's young age. It's not fair. Play by the rules or don't play, you know?

Please don't lie about your child's age to get free entry onto the plane or into the park. It's wrong on so very many levels.

kochh2
10-31-2009, 08:48 AM
thank you all for your valuable experiences!! I am going to direct DH to this thread so he can see all of the responses as well... since he believes there will BE no problem... but your points are all well taken, and will be purchasing a ticket for DD, even if she won't sit there LOL!!

egoldber
10-31-2009, 10:01 AM

OK, not to open another can of worms, but I was thinking that if the OP wanted to save money, *this* is how I would do it. At WDW, kids under 3 do not need a ticket and eat free at buffets, etc.

FWIW, I have NEVER done this because I am far too much of a rule follower!! But I have been with other people who have done it (passed their 3 year old as a 2 year old) and the WDW folks never even blinked an eye.

Momof3Labs
10-31-2009, 10:17 AM
thank you all for your valuable experiences!! I am going to direct DH to this thread so he can see all of the responses as well... since he believes there will BE no problem... but your points are all well taken, and will be purchasing a ticket for DD, even if she won't sit there LOL!!

Tell him that many people have tried it before, and the airlines are on to this one. They have the power to make your vacation very miserable - and possibly very expensive - so it's easier to just play by their rules.

FYI, whenever the seat belt light is on, they will require your DD to be in HER seat with her seat belt fastened, so you'll want to prepare her to not be in your lap for most of the flight.

kransden
10-31-2009, 12:09 PM
I used to work for TWA back in the day. The whole question (besides the legal issues) is will you get the awful @##$% ticket agent that has had a bad day or a nice one. I once had one try not to let me bring my carseat on board, even though it was the return flight! Until we found the 'FAA approved' on my carseat she was going to deny me! Ticket agents can be the nicest most helpful people on earth or the worst. They have the power of God over you. If you have a complaint about them or what they did to you, by the time it is resolved, your plane will be gone. So if you can try it, but be prepared for the worst case - you have to buy a full fare ticket for dc and the plane is over sold so you can't board. If you are on most carriers they will let you stand by for the next flight, but full fare is $$$$. If it is Southwest, they will not let you fly stand by. So you would have to cancel ALL your tickets and rebook at full fare. I would just find it too stressful.

Melanie
10-31-2009, 12:11 PM
Don't chance it. Think of what that could do to your vacation?

Hallie_D
10-31-2009, 12:59 PM
Let me add that when I just called Southwest to find out if I should buy an adult fare or an infant fare for DD, who is currently 2 months old (adult fare was cheaper), the agent told me that I would need ID (birth certificates) for both children. He said that even though I was purchasing them each a seat, the FAA/TSA now requires ID for children because of Amber Alerts. We have not even gotten DD's birth certificate in the mail yet, so I was glad to know that in advance.

kochh2
10-31-2009, 01:45 PM
wow, sounds like since we haven't flown in over 7 years, things are waaay different now!! We did fly about a year after 9/11, actually a year and one day after it LOL for our honeymoon... but i have to do some more research about the changes in policies!! it used to be so easy!!!
BTW, we will actually have an under 3 year old- we planned to go before her third bday for that reason!! we'll be celebrating early for her 3rd, though she won't turn three for about 5 weeks after we return!! :) at least we save $$ that way!!!

egoldber
10-31-2009, 01:48 PM
And I'll just reiterate that I have never, ever been asked for ID for my kids. We have flown dozens of times, including Southwest, and several recent flights.

JBaxter
10-31-2009, 01:57 PM
Its under 2yrs old that can fly free ( NOT 3) Yes alot more attention is being directed on ways to make $$ for the airline. Odds are they will ask for her birthcertificate or passport.

Once a child hits their 2nd bday they are required to have a seat. My cousin ran into that brining her child back from a chinese adoption. She turned 2 about 3 days before their return flight. They would NOT let her board so she had to stay another 24 hrs to get a seat on the next flight. Her DH and son flew home.

egoldber
10-31-2009, 01:58 PM
Its under 2yrs old that can fly free ( NOT 3)

I think she meant that's why they planned the trip to Disney for that time, because under 3 is "free" at WDW. :)

JBaxter
10-31-2009, 01:59 PM
I think she meant that's why they planned the trip to Disney for that time, because under 3 is "free" at WDW. :)

Oh ok ;) Sorry

lizzywednesday
10-31-2009, 02:01 PM
And I'll just reiterate that I have never, ever been asked for ID for my kids. We have flown dozens of times, including Southwest, and several recent flights.

I think that totally depends on the airport.

The NYC-area airports tend to be big sticklers about FAA/TSA compliance, which is part of why I find going through security to be the most stressful part of flying ... and my DC is not even born yet!!!

(I will say, however, that the security screeners at the JetBlue terminal at JFK were so professional and organized that it was the most pleasant trip through airport security that I've taken in the NYC metro area, so I'd highly recommend flying JetBlue out of JFK again!!!)

tylersmama
10-31-2009, 02:52 PM

The only time I've ever been asked for ID for DS was at customs going to/from Mexico. And, like Beth, we've flown dozens of times. That said, he's had his own seat on every flight since shortly after he turned one, so we've never had to prove his age, this is strictly from a TSA standpoint.

niccig
10-31-2009, 06:05 PM
wow, sounds like since we haven't flown in over 7 years, things are waaay different now!! We did fly about a year after 9/11, actually a year and one day after it LOL for our honeymoon... but i have to do some more research about the changes in policies!! it used to be so easy!!!
BTW, we will actually have an under 3 year old- we planned to go before her third bday for that reason!! we'll be celebrating early for her 3rd, though she won't turn three for about 5 weeks after we return!! :) at least we save $$ that way!!!

Lap kids are under 24 months. If over 2 yo, but under 3 yo, you still have to buy a seat...At least that's what I think it is. Friends arranged flights to family to be BEFORE their son's 2nd birthday.

Bring ID for the kids. We never did for DS as he has always had a seat, but DH and I talked about it and said that we should have it in case we have to prove that we are DS's parents.

mommyp
10-31-2009, 06:25 PM
I wouldn't do it. We've flown with DD on three trips and have been asked for ID every time. Even for the short (completely domestic) flight when she was 4 months old, we had to call the airline and register her as a lap child and she had to have her own boarding pass.

ZeeBaby
10-31-2009, 07:09 PM
I travel plenty and it really isn't worth the risk. You are spending money to go on this vacation and taking time off from work. You don't want to start your vacation on a negative note by having an altercation at the airport and possibly paying full fare for a child, assuming a seat is available. Also, no guarantee that the child would get a seat next to you in this last minute situation. There are tons of sale fares right now and you should be able to get a good deal from NYC to MCO.

daniele_ut
10-31-2009, 07:14 PM
I think that totally depends on the airport.

The NYC-area airports tend to be big sticklers about FAA/TSA compliance, which is part of why I find going through security to be the most stressful part of flying ... and my DC is not even born yet!!!

I've flown in and out of JFK and Newark a bunch of times with my kids and never been asked for ID for either of them when they were flying as lap infants. We just did this in May and again in June. In May we flew into and out of Newark and in June it was JFK. I remember specifically calling Delta and being told they don't require any ID for children at all.

Lap baby issues aside what freaked me out about not needing ID the first time I flew with DS as an infant is the potential for someone else to board a plane with a child that is not theirs. Am I the only anxiety freak who has considered this possibility?

cuca_
10-31-2009, 08:32 PM
I've flown in and out of JFK and Newark a bunch of times with my kids and never been asked for ID...

We fly out of JFK and Newark often (on AA, Cotinental and JetBlue), and I've never been asked for birth certificates or ID for the kids.

kochh2
11-01-2009, 11:57 AM
just to pdate-- Dh agreed once he heard of all your stories, and called SW. the fare dropped for our eturn flight by 35 bucks a pc, which SW allowed us to use to purchase a 4th fare, so DD has her own seat, we will not be breaking laws, or teaching our children about lying (never really considered that, but it's important to us).... we were just trying to save a few bucks, but it is totally not worth it !!!! thanks everyone... lets close this can of worms now....

Piglet
11-01-2009, 12:43 PM
It wasn't brought up in this discussion, but kids are far safer in their own seat in their own carseats on planes, so many parents will even buy a ticket for an under-2 year old simply because it is the only way to guarantee a seat for the carseat. It is a nice perk that under-2's get on free, but it is not the safest way for kids to travel, that is for sure. Honestly, I was sort of relived when my youngest turned 2 so that I could finally let go of the niggling idea in the back of my head to just bring her on as a lap baby. Now I know where all my kids stand and either we pay for all 5 seats or we don;t go and sometimes the latter is the right choice for any given trip. We wait for seat sales, but just like we had to think about a bigger car, more college savings, a bigger grocery bill, etc., we also have to budget our vacations and pick locations closer to home or locations that come with free room and board (family).