PDA

View Full Version : Medical FSA calims???

niccig
10-29-2009, 05:28 PM
We have a medical FSA and I'm behind on submitting claims. WHen I have a receipt from a Dr's office with a $15 copay, can I just send the reciept or do I have to send the EOB from my Health Insurance as well??

How about when you get a bill from a provider, I pay it by ripping off part of the form, but that's the part that has my name and the Lab's name on it....so I need to get the billing department to send me a copy of the bill??

Sigh, DH said not to do this as the paperwork sucks, and I insisted. It looks like DH was right, and we haven't used up all our money....I do need new prescription sun glasses though....better do that quickly to claim our money.

Zansu
10-29-2009, 05:46 PM
You have until March of the next year to submit claims from the current year. So you only have to hurry up and spend the money :)

I usually just send the credit card receipt that has the Dr's name on it. I've never been asked for the EOB too. I send the EOB if I don't have the CC receipt. If I just have what's left over from the billing office, I send that.

Our plan now issues a credit card, and we're supposed to use that for everything, and no receipts are required. It's great b/c I can use it for any OTC things too, without having to submit a receipt, as long as the merchant has a system that identifies FSA-eligible items.

Aishe
10-29-2009, 06:15 PM
You can send the bill *or* the EOB. You don't need both. I have started calling and paying medical bills over the phone with a credit card. That way the bills are intact when I get around to submitting claims.

niccig
10-29-2009, 06:45 PM
Our plan now issues a credit card, and we're supposed to use that for everything, and no receipts are required. It's great b/c I can use it for any OTC things too, without having to submit a receipt, as long as the merchant has a system that identifies FSA-eligible items.

I *think* we were supposed to get that but didn't. DH isn't good at checking with HR, and I let it go too long. So I have to send in all our receipts. They do let us scan and submit on the web site, so that helps a little.

niccig
10-29-2009, 06:46 PM
You can send the bill *or* the EOB. You don't need both. I have started calling and paying medical bills over the phone with a credit card. That way the bills are intact when I get around to submitting claims.

I'll do this next year. There's really only one big bill, so I'll ask for a copy if I need it...I do have the EOB for that though, so maybe I could just send that.

Momof3Labs
10-29-2009, 06:50 PM
You have until March of the next year to submit claims from the current year. So you only have to hurry up and spend the money :)

not always true - some plans require submission earlier than that.

KrisM
10-29-2009, 06:57 PM
Check on your plan. Ours lets us have until March of next year to spend this year's money. Maybe you have more time?

Aishe
10-29-2009, 07:11 PM
I'll do this next year. There's really only one big bill, so I'll ask for a copy if I need it...I do have the EOB for that though, so maybe I could just send that.

You're fine with the EOB. I think they actually prefer that.

american_mama
10-30-2009, 11:20 PM
If you have a lot of bills from one provider and are having a hard time tracking down receipts, call the billing department, tell them you need a statement of the year for med FSA purposes, and they can usually send you one piece of paper with it all on it.

Last year was the first year we did a health FSA in a long time and I was happy in the end. I stalled and stalled about learning anything about it, which meant I ignored the oh-so-easy prepaid "credit" card that we received for most of the year and had a lot of receipts to submit at the end. But once I got the hang of it and set up a spreadsheet, it was easy and the prepaid card is completely easy. You'll probably decide it was worth it in the end.

You can also submit for mileage to all those doctor/dentist/etc. appointments and those don't require a receipt. Once you've already listed all the appointments, it's easy to add in the mileage for all those dates, and it should really add up (over $80 for us and our appointments are all quite close to home).