PDA

View Full Version : Booster question about H1N1 shots

longamkl
10-29-2009, 06:33 PM
I'm deferring to you ladies to see if anyone out there may have an answer to this question:

We were finally able to get H1N1 shots for my 13 mo old babies yesterday. They need to have a booster shot. According to the Americans, that booster needs to be administered at least 28 days after the first shot. Four weeks from yesterday is the day before Thanksgiving and we are going on a long-haul flight with the babies on Thanksgiving Day. If they don't develop an immunity until 10 days after the booster shot, they won't even have any immune protection for our return flight.

We live on the border and I know that the Canadians, on the other hand, are saying that babies need to have boosters 21 days after the first shot. If we did the second shot after 21 days instead, it would make the day before we go away a lot less stressful and they may actually have some immune protection for the return flight.

I have left a message with my ped but don't expect to hear back until tomorrow at the earliest. Does anyone know why the different recommendations? Is the vaccine really different or is it just some bureaucratic difference?

bubbaray
10-29-2009, 06:41 PM
You can't compare the recommendations in Canada with those in the US, because the two countries are using entirely different H1N1 vax's. If you receive the US vax, you should follow the US recommendations for the booster (assuming you can find it). Likewise, if you receive the Canadian vax, you should follow the Canadian rules for the booster.

egoldber
10-29-2009, 08:52 PM
What I have seen says "about 28 days". I'll dig around to see if I can find the actual study.

egoldber
10-29-2009, 09:01 PM
The CDC recommends "about a month", but doses at least 21 days apart are "considered valid".

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/vaccination/clinicians_qa.htm

The interval between 2009 H1N1 monovalent vaccine doses, for children 6 months through 9 years, is stated as "approximately 1 month" in the package inserts. What does "approximately 1 month" mean?

CDC recommends that the two doses of 2009 H1N1 monovalent vaccine be separated by 4 weeks. However, if the second dose is separated from the first dose by at least 21 days the second dose can be considered to be valid. If the interval separating the doses is less than 21 days the second dose should be repeated four weeks after the first dose was given.

Just FYI, the best H1N1 info can generally be obtained at the cdc.gov site. Poke around in the sections labelled as "for clinicians", "for vaccine planners", etc. for the actual scientific data, as opposed to simplifications created for the general public.

wencit
10-29-2009, 09:44 PM
Those of you who have received the swine flu vax already, are you not worried about finding the exact same booster in a month? By "exact same," I'm referring to getting the same vaccine from the same manufacturer. For example, the FluMist, then another FluMist. Or if you got the Sanofi Pasteur version, trying to find the same vaccine again in a month? I don't think it's a good idea to switch manufacturers between doses, but the thought of more shortages in a month kind of makes me worry. I'm planning to go to the county health clinic next weekend.

Are you all thinking that partial immunity is better than none? Is it OK to go much longer than 28 days between shots?

longamkl
10-30-2009, 11:29 AM
Thanks Beth for your responses and the link. My ped's office called back but I couldn't get to the phone in time. The message they left says 28 days and that they couldn't authorize anything other than that. Now I guess I have to decide whether to push it with them.

egoldber
10-30-2009, 11:35 AM
I would call back, show them the CDC link and see if they will help you.

Or find a public health clinic.

citymama
10-30-2009, 02:30 PM
The recommendation for the booster is actually "between 21 and 28 days." I've seen this on several of the vaccine sites, including one of CDC's. If I find a link, I'll send it to you. DD's immunization record from yesterday says the date for her booster should be between 11/19/2009 and 11/26/2009. HTH.