PDA

View Full Version : Anyone get the H1N1 Vax in DC?

HIU8
10-29-2009, 08:52 PM
Do you know if they are checking residency status? I'm in MOCO. There is a note on their site that they have no more vax (only some thymerisol free for pg women left). DD and DS have not been vaxed. The ped isn't sure they are getting any new H1N1 vax (they are getting a shipment next week, but it may only be the regular flu vax). I would to to FF county, but their site said they ran out of vax today at 2:45. Tomorrow they will do another 250 of children 6 months to 24. I can't get there until 3:30, so they will most likely be out then to. I'm worried that if I wait the issue will be the same--places will run out and DD and DS will never get vaxed.

egoldber
10-29-2009, 09:06 PM
Check out the Flu Forum at DCUM. Lots of good info (as well as hysteria LOL!) there.

happymomma
10-29-2009, 09:17 PM
Just got the kids their H1N1 shots tonight. I went to DC. Clinic started at 5pm but we got there at 3:40pm and was number 20. We are actually Maryland residents but they didn't turn us away. They pretty let anyone that fits their criteria. I think they are letting pregnant women and youths (ages up to 24) get their shots. There were still shots left b/c both kids got the shots instead of the mist. We were done by 5:30pm. They had a lot of people giving the shots. Overall well run. I know that they are offering it again on Saturday morning at 8am. I was going to go to it if I didn't make today's one. The school I went to was Hardy Middle School. Let me know if you want any other information.

Thanks

ETA: they were also giving shots to people with compromised immune systems and caregivers of kids under 6 months of age.

TwinFoxes
10-29-2009, 09:40 PM
I don't think there are residency requirements anywhere. The vaccine is free from the Federal Government.

Good luck!

HIU8
10-30-2009, 07:44 AM
We are going to go tomorrow morning to get DS and DD vaxed at Coolidge. It starts at 8 am. I was thinking we need to be there by 7 am.

lowrioh
10-30-2009, 09:38 AM
I'm going to DC tomorrow AM to get DD her shot because PG county has been atrocious at getting the vaccine out. They have 1 clinic on Thursdays from 9-12 for the ENTIRE county of 820,000 people. Since we live right on the DC line most of the mom's in town are hoping across the border to get the shots. They are not checking residency, they seem well run and there doesn't seem to be a shortage. For once, the DC government seems to be on top of things!

mommylamb
10-30-2009, 11:47 AM
Not yet here... I keep calling the ped and keep being told to call back in a few days. We're finally outside the 4 week window since DS got his seasonal flumist, so he could have either shot or mist now. I'm frustrated.

citymama
10-30-2009, 02:26 PM
If you find a clinic anywhere, I wouldn't worry about residency requirements or proof. You could always give a friend's address in DC.

la petite étoile
10-31-2009, 10:23 AM
I went to Coolidge last Saturday. I got there at around 9 (it opened at 8) and there was hardly any wait. I was in and out in less than an hour. It was fantastic compared to the clinic in Rockville :D

lowrioh
10-31-2009, 10:53 AM
Annie and I just got back from the H1N1 Clinic at Ballou High School in DC. I know that it isn't a neighborhood that most of you would go to but I was very comfortable the entire time. It was a very diverse group of folks. From door to door it took us 2 hours. It was very organized and from the time I parked until we got back into the car was less than one hour. When I left the line was about the same length. There is street parking. We waited less than 5 min outside and then we were checked in and lead into the gymnasium and on bleachers. They make you leave your stroller just inside the door. It was a little stuffy in there so don't bundle the kiddos too much.
They did not turn me away and I listed Maryland as our address. They did mention that next week they might stop letting non-DC residents in but as a PP said you can always just give a bogus address....they don't check ID.
If you decide to go, don't take 295 S to get there. They have it down to one lane around the aquatic gardens. Other than that it was smooth sailing.

HIU8
10-31-2009, 03:55 PM
We ended up doing the clinic at Coolidge today. We got there at 7 am and waited an hour for them to open. There were between 20 and 30 people in front of us. Some where holding space and their children showed up at 8 am. So, we were under the first 100. Once they let us in (after doing the explanation and us filing out the paperwork) we were out in an hour. So we were there for a total of 2 hrs 15 minutes (that includes the wait before it opened). I'm glad we went b/c DH and I were able to get vaxed as well --DH is diabetic and I have asthma.

A friend took his DD down around 10 am and was done by 11. She is under 2 so she got the shot. My friend is under the impression that only children under 10 who get the mist have to have two doses. I thought it was children under 10 in general--whether they got the mist or the shot.

Now, I just have to wait until after Nov. 28th to get DS and DD another dose of the mist (hopefully by then my ped will have it and I won't have to find a clinic again--but it was not as bad as I thought it would be).