PDA

View Full Version : Tell me I did the right thing -- H1N1 woes

bubbaray
10-29-2009, 09:31 PM
I had an appt for DD#1 and I to get our (priority high risk) H1N1 shots at our dr's office today. I cancelled it. I am still very sick with this frickin' fracken sinus infection and, honestly, I am in no shape to drive 1+hr into the downtown core during rush hour. Plus, our nurse line told me early this morning not to get the shot b/c I'm sick and on antibiotics. DH thought I should take DD#1 anyway, but I told him I wasn't up to the drive and he refused to take her himself (!).

I rebooked our appt for next week.

Then I hear on the news that, contrary to what all the talking heads were saying yesterday, there WILL be short-term shortages of the vax here b/c the manufacturer (GlaxoSmithKline) switched production this week from the adjuvanted version to the unadjuvanted version.

I might have screwed up our chance to get this vax for the two high-risk people in our family. I could just cry. I was so against getting this vax at all, then DH convinced me that we needed it asap. So, once I wrapped my head around this (and putting my concerns about this f'ing adjuvant aside), I was OK with getting it. And now we might not get it.

Where is my twisty straw?! Because I am seriously stressed right now. Plus, I'm not thinking straight b/c I still feel like my head is the Goodyear blimp....

wencit
10-29-2009, 09:39 PM
Seriously, if your DH is so adamant that your DD#1 needs the vax, he REALLY should have taken her himself. If I were you, I would not have gotten the vaccine in your health condition, particularly on antibiotics.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you want the unadjuvanted version? I thought adjuvants for your daughter == bad. I'm probably confused, though.

Hugs. Seriously, if I were you, I would be livid at DH.

bubbaray
10-29-2009, 09:42 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you want the unadjuvanted version? I thought adjuvants for your daughter == bad. I'm probably confused, though.

Hugs. Seriously, if I were you, I would be livid at DH.

DD#2 can only have the unadjuvanted version due to her fish anaphylaxis. She isn't eligible right now b/c (1) the unadjuvanted version isn't available and (2) she isn't high risk. DD#1 and I are high risk (asthma). Neither of us need the unadjuvanted version, though I would MUCH PREFER DD#1 to receive it (though it is extremely unlikely that will happen).

Yeah, I'm pretty ticked at DH. He, OTOH, is really REALLY giving me the guilt trip right now. Apparently, its all my fault. Um. yeah. thanks for that.

ett
10-29-2009, 09:46 PM
Oh I'm so sorry Melissa that your DH is giving you the guilt trip. You are sick and should not be making the drive during rush hour. Why wouldn't your DH take DD1 if he was adamant that she get the shot?

MamaMolly
10-29-2009, 09:47 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty ticked at DH. He, OTOH, is really REALLY giving me the guilt trip right now. Apparently, its all my fault. Um. yeah. thanks for that.

Just ignore him. When ever he starts in on you, get up and walk to another room. If he doesn't lighten up, go to the bathroom with a book. Seriously, he is giving you a hard time because he KNOWS he should have been the one to take DD. Guys can be such shmucks.

buddyleebaby
10-29-2009, 09:48 PM
I had to reschedule my kids' vaxes because they had colds. The office just put their doses aside for them. Hopefully that is what your Dr.'s office did...I can't imagine them booking an appointment to get a shot they don't/won't actually have in hand.

wencit
10-29-2009, 09:49 PM
DD#2 can only have the unadjuvanted version due to her fish anaphylaxis. She isn't eligible right now b/c (1) the unadjuvanted version isn't available and (2) she isn't high risk. DD#1 and I are high risk (asthma). Neither of us need the unadjuvanted version, though I would MUCH PREFER DD#1 to receive it (though it is extremely unlikely that will happen).

I'll send out a good thought that you and your DD#1 can get the shot next week, adjuvanted or not.

:kisscheek:

Poo to your DH. Don't feel guilty, I really don't see how it's your fault.

MontrealMum
10-29-2009, 09:49 PM
:hug: Melissa. I know this isn't any comfort, but try not to be glass half empty about this. Give it until next week until you freak out since you don't know for sure there will be shortages. And for the record my DH would be getting a HUGE earful from me in that situation :angry-smiley-005:

gatorsmom
10-29-2009, 09:56 PM
Just ignore him. When ever he starts in on you, get up and walk to another room. If he doesn't lighten up, go to the bathroom with a book. Seriously, he is giving you a hard time because he KNOWS he should have been the one to take DD. Guys can be such shmucks.

Yeah that. Guilt trips are such BS. My DH tries to use them on me all. the. time. I know where he gets it from, too, because MIL uses them too. Fortunately for me, my parents NEVER played those games. So, I have NO problem calling DH and his MIL on it. If you DH tried that on me, I'd yell at him for not caring about me and then say to him just what Mama MOllysaid which is that he knows he should have done it and now, instead of accepting that HE f'ed up, he's punishing you. What a wuss.

Can you call the doctor first thing in the morning and explain that your DD needs the shot due to asthma? I know, repeat of the traffic and commute thing, but maybe you'll feel better then knowing she's safe. Or explain to DH that he NEEDS to do this.

Hope things turn out all right. :hug:

AnnieW625
10-30-2009, 12:02 AM
I could've gotten H1N1 vax for myself yesterday at my OBGYN appt and didn't because I was also getting the seasonal flu shot for the first time. My clinic said they have about 300 preservative free ones to give to only pregnant moms and she didn't know how long it would last, but I am hoping it lasts at least another week so I can go in on a Friday after work and get it (DH has three Fridays a month off), but she also made it sound that if I waited a month until my next appt. they'd probably have more in by then.

Good luck and I am sure things will be okay for you and your girls. Hugs.

mamicka
10-30-2009, 12:43 AM
I think you did the right thing. You were sick & it was the right thing to not go out to the doctor's office to possibly get infected with something or to infect others. If your DH thought it was so important, he should have taken her. Someone may have dropped the ball here, but it wasn't you.

Feel better soon.

mommyp
10-30-2009, 01:25 AM
Someone may have dropped the ball here, but it wasn't you.
:yeahthat:
Hope you are feeling better soon. Maybe call the office and see if they will put aside the doses as pp suggested?

citymama
10-30-2009, 03:10 AM
I think you did right. You definitely were in no condition to go. And unadjuvanted will be much better than the one with adjuvants. I think if you'd gotten one of your DD vaxed today with the adjuvant version, and then the "better" version was out next week, you'd have regretted it.

As someone who was first out of the gate in getting the whole family vaxed against H1N1 today, I frankly left the experience thinking that if I wasn't pregnant right now, I'd rather have waited a couple of weeks till our ped's office had it. While I think the wait in the US might end up being longer (may not be the case in Canada), by late November, there should be plenty of vax to go around.

Sorry your DH is being a jerk about this...

arivecchi
10-30-2009, 05:41 AM
:hug: Melissa. I know this isn't any comfort, but try not to be glass half empty about this. Give it until next week until you freak out since you don't know for sure there will be shortages. :yeahthat: This whole H1N1 thing can drive anyone crazy.

wellyes
10-30-2009, 07:48 AM
You did the right thing, if your instincts say you're not up for it, LISTEN to them! Your DH is being a doof. If it were me, I'd counter just as aggressively at his failure to step up. Not productive, I know, but I can't stand it when the person who is wrong gets all self-righteous.

Either way, of course, things will be OK :grouphug:.

JTsMom
10-30-2009, 08:18 AM
You did the right thing. What else could you have done? Drive through rush hour feeling like total crud, and probably taking a bigger risk? I say blame your DH- he should have taken DD. And no doubt you were in the right skipping it for yourself.

wendibird22
10-30-2009, 08:24 AM
Try not to let the guilt trip get to you. You did what you thought was best. If there isn't more vax next week, there likely will be the week after that. Keep doing all the things you are doing to keep your family healthy like you would any other flu season. And if you need to, tell your DH to get off his duff and take your DD.

amandabea
10-30-2009, 09:25 AM
You did the right thing. Yoir DH, not so much. I agree w/ Molly, don't freak out until next week. You both have appts and they know you're high risk. :hug: :hug:

Corie
10-30-2009, 09:33 AM
You did the right thing!

If your DH felt it was so important, then he should have taken your daughter.

Obviously, it really wasn't *that* important to him.

Nooknookmom
10-30-2009, 10:04 AM
What a butt-muncher, you are sick and DH is giving you a guilt trip? Is he related to my DH?

Feel better, you didi the right thing and if it was meant to be the vaxes will be there next week!!!!

Guys, don't you wish sometimes that they had a seperate island to put them on?

bubbaray
10-30-2009, 10:26 AM
Thanks ladies.

I think we might be OK for next week. We'll see. They are basically keeping the same high-risk groups, plus adding children under age 5 and health care workers in critical care (ER, ICU). Next week was supposed to be all children and all healthcare workers. So, the high risk people who didn't/couldn't get it this week, can still get it next week.

Fingers crossed.