PDA

View Full Version : Immediate Care visit...am I overreacting?

tmarie
10-29-2009, 09:53 PM
This afternoon I was experiencing severe shortness of breathe, chest pain, and a low grade fever, as well as a worsening cough. My doctor was off today and the service recommended I go to the network's immediate care center. Additional background: myself and my girls are just recovering from what seemed to be h1n1 flu. Last year I suddenly started coughing up blood and ended up at the hospital, dx pneumonia--no fever, no normal symptoms--so my internist has told me if I have any pneumonia symptoms, don't take it lightly.

Anyway, the doctor was this very old man. He listened to my chest, ordered an xray. When the results came in, he asked me to come over to the computer, handed me the paper saying they were negative, that my cough sounded croupy, that adults can get croup. He then said something along the lines of, sometimes you just feel bad but you have kids you need to take care of and things to do...and then he told me that it sounded like I had anxiety if I was thinking about if I was able to catch my breathe. WTF? I was so confused and asked for clarification. He just repeated himself. It felt so demeaning. What made it more demeaning was that I had just watched him show chest xray results to two men (he gave us our results in the hallway), who were in with similar symptoms from the sounds of it, and he treated them SO differently. Was warm, fuzzy, sent them home with an antibiotic and advice to drink lots of fluids. I had just spent two hours there, had my dh rush home from work early to pick up the kids, and this doctor had the nerve to treat me like a crazy person. When I got to my car I burst into tears (thus acting like a crazy person!). Oh, and did I mention that he said he wouldn't bother testing me for h1n1 b/c it was too late to treat? This was after the nurse told me that he would almost surely order a flu test.

Am I overreacting? It just felt so wrong. I can't think of when I ever felt this way about a physician.

tmarie

gatorsmom
10-29-2009, 10:08 PM
I think anytime you feel bad enough that you go to your car to cry, you are NOT overreacting. The guy was a jerk- it wasn't you. There are some wonderful doctors in the world with wonderful bedside manners- and then there are the types who treat people like lab rats. Not to go off on a tangent but about 8 years ago I volunteered to be a rape-crisis advocate for the small college town we were living in. We were trained to meet girls (sometimes guys) at the hospital and be there for them during a rape kit exam and sample collection. You'd think any doctor who knew a girl was there for that reason would be sympathetic, kind and and gentle. Oh no. There were some awful docs who would be trying to admonish the girls for their PROMISCUITY! Which is why this volunteer group provided advocates like me- basically, I held the girls' hands through the ordeal and told them to ignore the doctor's unnecessary opinions. Nope, there are definitely some docs out there with the bedside manner of a slug.

And you are NOT crazy for getting this checked out. Your last doctor told you to! It's important that we are all our own strongest advocate for our health!!! Who's to say this old coot even diagnosed you correctly?

Take good care of yourself and if you ever have to go back there again, remember that doc's name and ask if you can see someone else!

tmarie
10-29-2009, 10:38 PM
Thanks--I so needed to hear someone else say that. I never get upset like this. I still can't get over him saying I just needed to take care of my kids....isn't taking care of ourselves as moms, part of that?

gatorsmom
10-29-2009, 10:47 PM
I still can't get over him saying I just needed to take care of my kids....isn't taking care of ourselves as moms, part of that?

Yeah, how are you suppose to take care of your kids if you have pneumonia? What an idiot......

jenfromnj
10-29-2009, 10:54 PM
That's awful--I'm sorry! There is nothing worse than a terrible, unreasonable doctor when you're feeling terrible. If I were treated that way, I'd almost think about trying to get in touch with the director of the facility and making a complaint--that is no way to treat a patient. The PP is right, how the heck are you 'just supposed to take care of your kids' if you have the flu or pneumonia? Sorry buddy, those things are not in your head.

AshleyAnn
10-29-2009, 11:15 PM
No you are not overreacting! I had a similar experience several years ago with my OB/GYN and it was terrible to be treated like a little girl crying wolf.

Tondi G
10-30-2009, 12:04 AM
can you go in to see your normal doctor tomorrow and let them look over the chest xray? Just to be safe.

wencit
10-30-2009, 01:39 AM
That doctor is a tool. We've all got some flu-like symptoms in my house right now (not sure if it's H1N1), and the advice nurse told us to go to the emergency room if we experience EXACTLY the symptoms you describe above.

You did the right thing. You can never be too careful with your health.

JTsMom
10-30-2009, 07:09 AM
What a jerk! And I agree- you need to go get another opinion, preferably from someone other than Ward Cleaver's buddy. Geesh! If you had H1N1, and are now having these symptoms, you are the exact person they are saying needs to be seen immediately!

Snow mom
10-30-2009, 07:18 AM
If you are still feeling bad I'd go to your regular doctor today (and write down that other doctors name so you know never to see him again!) You don't want his biases to be playing with your life. Although it's difficult to say anything about the medical situations of the other two men whose results you heard (and who gives results in the hallway--aren't they supposed to be confidential???), it seems to me that he had some sort of gender issue. I'm taking a gender course and your description smacked of what they keep talking about weekly.