PDA

View Full Version : Ipod Touch questions

jse107
10-29-2009, 10:44 PM
OK, so I'm using my birthday money to buy myself an Ipod Touch. I have several questions, and know that y'all will be able to help me! I'm a total newbie, so bear with me.

What is the difference between the 2nd and 3rd generation?

Should I get the refurbished 16GB 2nd generation, refurbished 32GB 2nd generation, or a new 32 GB 3rd generation?

What kind of other stuff do I need to go with it? Case, covers, etc?

What kind of apps should I get right away? What will I need?

Any other things I should know?

kristac
10-30-2009, 07:50 AM
I'm about to get one as well, so not an expert. The difference between 2G and 3G is mostly the processing speed. The 3G also has a microphone for voice memos, etc. The 8GB 2G and 3G are exactly the same(which you didn't ask about). I'm personally getting a refurb 2G as I can't justify the extra $$ for the 3G.

turtledove
10-30-2009, 09:19 AM
Not an expert, but my DH has the 64G 3G touch. He debated between the 32G and 64G but ultimately decided with the 64G since he wanted to put movies on it (He rides the train for an hour and 20 minutes each way every day). So as far as the size, how do you plan to use your ipod? If you are only using it for music and smaller sized apps, you don't need the bigger size. If you plan to put movies or anything else that takes up a lot of memory, you should get the bigger one. I personally wouldn't mind getting the refurbished one to save money. I would also definitely invest in a case of some sort for protection. DH also got a screen protector to prevent scratches.

As far as apps go, that is a totally personal decision. What are you interested in? DH has a bunch of games, something that makes his ipod sound like a light saber when he swings it around (I don't get the appeal of this one, but DD loves it), the new testament, and a German language tutorial - his sister is stationed in Germany and we plan to visit. There will definitely be a bunch of things that are of interest to you, you will probably just have to peruse the app store and read the reviews of the ones you find interesting. One thing to keep in mind is that some apps really only work for the iphone, so definitely read what people say.

GL and enjoy!

nfowife
10-30-2009, 09:33 AM
I just got my touch about a week ago and so far I love it! It is awesome!!
I got the 32gb 3rd generation. For the case, we got the otterbox defender because I do plan to let the kids use it on the plane and occasionally in the house- but not a ton. Also, I'm kind of clumsy myself and with it in my purse, etc. I don't want to be worried about it getting damaged. It's still so small even with the case on! I got the touch and the case from amazon very quickly.
For apps, so far I mostly use facebook and email on it. For the kids I am really liking the parents abc app (great for my preschooler!) and there are a few other kid ones. My dd thinks it is the coolest thing ever. I also have an Italian translator (I live in Italy), uno and word scramble (for me), and a few other kid apps related to animals and abc's.
We mostly got it for traveling, which we do at least once a month. We plan to use it on the plane for the kids to watch stuff, have email access at our destination (no more lugging along the laptop), and to connect to the tv at our destination to watch kids stuff and stuff for us- we live overseas so usually tv is in a foreign (to us) language.
I got the 32gb because of wanting to put on shows and movies. I also don't mind swapping stuff out so for me I didn't feel the need to go all the way with the 64gb.
I'm very happy so far! You won't regret it!

pastrygirl
10-30-2009, 10:46 AM
I have a 32Gb 2nd gen because I want to be able to store videos on there. While I'd love to have a mic for voice recordings, I don't think I'd shell out extra $$$ just for that. Now, if the 3rd gen had a camera, I would pay extra!

I love my Switcheasy RebelTouch case: http://www.switcheasy.com/products/RebelTouch/RebelTouch.php

BillK
10-30-2009, 10:48 AM
I have a 32Gb 2nd gen because I want to be able to store videos on there. While I'd love to have a mic for voice recordings, I don't think I'd shell out extra $$$ just for that. Now, if the 3rd gen had a camera, I would pay extra!

I love my Switcheasy RebelTouch case: http://www.switcheasy.com/products/RebelTouch/RebelTouch.php

I just got a Switcheasy Rebel for my iPhone in black/black with the white and red spines - LOVE it! I have an Otterbox Defender, Switcheasy Colors and Seidio Innocase 2 as well - I prefer the Rebel - but the Otterbox is nice for the extra protection.

I'm betting the next gen iTouch will have a camera (and probably video) too. The latest tear down of one shows the space for it.