PDA

View Full Version : Gift for Bat Mitzvah?

sariana
10-30-2009, 12:09 AM
Our neighbor's daughter is having her Bat Mitzvah ceremony in December. This family has been very good to us, helping us a lot when I was on bed rest when pregnant with DD, giving DH a going-away party after he was recalled to the Navy, and just generally being good neighbors. But I don't know this particular daughter well at all.

What would be a nice gift for her? I would like to give her something meaningful but not necessarily too personal. We can probably spend $20-30, maybe more for something special.

Any ideas? My MIL (who is Jewish) suggested jewelry. I like that idea, but what? I don't even know if the young lady has pierced ears.

TIA!

rachelh
10-30-2009, 01:44 AM
I think it really depends on the girl. Most of the time I do feel like jewelry is what is given. Michal Negrin jewelry has been quite popular around here for bat mitzvahs (and older). I happen to not be a fan myself but have given it as a present to a Bat Mitzvah girl.

Here is a link to their site:

http://www.michalnegrin.com/368-en/Michal_negrin_Collections.aspx?PageNum=2 (http://www.michalnegrin.com/368-en/Michal_negrin_Collections.aspx?PageNum=2)

I glanced at the prices and they seem awfully high. IIRC, I purchased a bracelet and earring recently for about $70 combined. I would recommend trying to find a retailer in your area that carries this line.

Good Luck!

Rachel

nfowife
10-30-2009, 02:12 AM
I would give a check. A multiple of 18 is good luck, it's call chai. So, you could do $36.

tnrnchick74
10-30-2009, 04:52 AM
I would give a check. A multiple of 18 is good luck, it's call chai. So, you could do $36.

that's my recommendation as well...

maydaymommy
10-30-2009, 09:30 AM
If you would rather do a gift than money, I have a suggestion.

I ordered this from etsy a few weeks ago for my cousin's Bat Mitzvah. It was a close relative, so I gave a check (with an $18 in it, as the pp mentioned) and got this as an add-on gift. I think it was around $30 with shipping, so it is in your range. Seller was great, shipping was speedy. I even convo'd with the seller to make sure she had one in appropriate, fun colors and to double check that it was ready to ship. Great transaction.

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=33361400&ref=sr_list_2&&ga_search_query=junk+to+funk&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_page=&order=date_desc&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title

The "hamsa" on the neclace is a symbol for good luck, and it's supposed to keep the "evil eye" away, It has a chai, the symbol for life, in the center. I thought my cousin would like this more than the one with the Jewish star in the center.

Actually, I don't see a Jewish star necklace on the seller's site anymore, but you could convo to see if she has any. If you don't think your neighbor would wear it, I believe you can get it in a keychain, which I think would also be fun.

My cousin LOVED this gift, but she is a "funky" kind of kid.

If you are at all concerned, I don't think it is at all inappropriate for a non-Jew to give a gift with a Jewish symbol on it. I think it would be very nice.