PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone with kids in school NOT vaxing for H1N1?

Toba
10-30-2009, 12:29 AM
Just curious. I'm still so on the fence about it. The school system is offering the mist and I'd really rather not do that. He's never had the regular flu vax either. I'm so scared to make a decision either way. :(

mamicka
10-30-2009, 12:39 AM
Well, we homeschool but my kids go to events with PS kids at public school. We aren't planning on vaxing for H1N1 or seasonal.

sariana
10-30-2009, 01:53 AM
Well, we haven't yet, not because I've chosen not to but because I've been too disorganized to get them to a clinic. I don't even know if our healthcare provider has the H1N1 vaccine.

I wouldn't want them to get the mist, either. The Navy forced DH to use the nasal spray (I think it was just the seasonal but I'm not sure), and he was not happy about it at all. They didn't seem to care that he had a daughter under 2.

Of course, we were much more worried about exposing the kids to the smallpox vaccination site. I never knew it was so contagious! (It's not actually smallpox but a related virus.) What a pain.

We've always got the flu shots in the past, at least since DS was born. I never did it before then.

LexyLou
10-30-2009, 02:28 AM
I'm not and I'm not an anti-vaccine kind of girl. Eh, I just don't see the need.

I spoke with my ped and he pretty much said what I was thinking. If my children had weak immune systems or asthma or any health problems then I would 100% do it, but they are totally healthy kids.

If they were to get H1N1 or the regular flu for that matter, it would probably suck for a week or so, but no one is going to die (god willing).

It just doesn't seem pressing to me, maybe that's being naive though. They both did get the regular flu shot.

urquie
10-30-2009, 02:40 AM
I'm not and I'm not an anti-vaccine kind of girl. Eh, I just don't see the need.

I spoke with my ped and he pretty much said what I was thinking.
:yeahthat:

niccig
10-30-2009, 01:58 PM
Well, we haven't yet, not because I've chosen not to but because I've been too disorganized to get them to a clinic.

Same here. I'm on the fence and I can't decide. I think my decision will be made for me, as in, no vaccine left. Friends DDs had it, the whole family was sick for a week. Not fun. We don't have any underlying health problems, so I'm not overly concerned.

egoldber
10-30-2009, 02:02 PM
It may not happen, just because it is so hard to get.

I heard that 88 kids were absent from our school last Friday out of around 500, so it may be moot since I am certain she has already been exposed. She told me 6 or 7 kids were absent from her class this week!

spanannie
10-30-2009, 02:03 PM
My kids won't be getting it. I'm fairly certain that they already had the h1n1, even though it wasn't confirmed. All but 2 kids out of 20 in my DD's kindy class were out with it--many confirmed--and the majority of the kids in my son's class had it, as well. It really hit his school hard. Of course, out of my 3 kids, they only tested my DD, and she came back negative, but we all know how accurate the test it. I just wish they'd have tested all 3 kids. Anyhow, my family was sick for 10 days. All but DH was hit with it. The baby and I had the least severe and my 5 and 7 year old were hit the hardest.

hellokitty
10-30-2009, 03:26 PM
My two older kids are in school and no we are not getting either vax. The wk before last, there were 100 kids in their school out sick. I just figure our turn will come sooner or later. The vax is virtually impossible to get in our area. Tomorrow there is supposed to be the h1n1 vax, they are offering at the fair grounds, I suspect it will be total chaos.

SnuggleBuggles
10-30-2009, 03:57 PM
I don't plan to. I haven't tried too hard to get the vax but it isn't something I'll work hard for. If they have it when we go for his regular flu shot then I'll decide. Leaning towards not. It's worked it's way though his class once already.

Beth

wellyes
10-30-2009, 04:06 PM
This thread scares the bejesus out of me. I am frightened of H1N1. I am not eligible for the flumist because I'm pregnant & DD is not eligible because she's too young. And there are no other types of H1N1 vax in the area. I feel so helpless.

For people who are NOT getting vaxed in the thought that getting sick is inevitable, please remember that the CDC recommends keeping all people who had the flu home for 24 hours AFTER the fever passes. (Link (http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/guidance/exclusion.htm)). I am absolutely positive that very few people will follow this advice but do try and spread the word if you can. It's really important.

AnnieW625
10-30-2009, 04:22 PM
I am not an anti vaxer but I have always been kind of skeptical about the flu shot and it really working. I only got one this year because I am pregnant. My DD got one too because of that. I am not making it mandatory that DH get one either, but as soon as he feels sick he is sleeping in the other room!

I could've gotten the H1N1 preservative free shot the other day because I am pregnant, but passed because I hadn't gotten my regular flu shot yet and it was the first time I've gotten a flu shot so I didn't want two vaxs at the same time. I could call next week or so and see if they still have it, but if they run out of the 300 viles they currently have they'll most likely get more by my next appt. at the end of November.

Now as far as my child goes I am going to wait until I find out that our pediatric department has the shot available. I am very leary of her getting the flu mist because of me being pregnant so if they never get any shots for H1N1 for DD then I am not going to overly stress about it. We are really stressing washing our hands and covering our mouths when we sneeze or cough.

alirebco
10-30-2009, 05:23 PM
This thread scares the bejesus out of me. I am frightened of H1N1. I am not eligible for the flumist because I'm pregnant & DD is not eligible because she's too young. And there are no other types of H1N1 vax in the area. I feel so helpless.

For people who are NOT getting vaxed in the thought that getting sick is inevitable, please remember that the CDC recommends keeping all people who had the flu home for 24 hours AFTER the fever passes. (Link (http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/guidance/exclusion.htm)). I am absolutely positive that very few people will follow this advice but do try and spread the word if you can. It's really important.

I'm still not sure why this thread is so scary to you. We are not getting vaccinated in our family but we are taking lots of precautions to keep us healthy - healthy diet, low in sugar, probiotics, vitamin d, homeopathic remedies, hand washing, nose washing, etc.

BUT, if we do happen to come down with the flu, we would probably not venture out of the house for at least 3 days after symptoms and more than 24 hours after having a fever. I'm part of an active mom's group - and most don't vax for flu or other diseases - and we have a strict sick policy. However, most moms keep their kids out of activities past what our policy says because we are being safe.

Please don't think that just b/c someone is not getting the flu vaccine that we will send our sick kids out into public. I'm not sure how you came across this opinion but those are some pretty big assumptions and really not fair for those who choose to use other techniques besides vaccines to avoid the flu.

Melaine
10-30-2009, 05:25 PM
Please don't think that just b/c someone is not getting the flu vaccine that we will send our sick kids out into public. I'm not sure how you came across this opinion but those are some pretty big assumptions and really not fair for those who choose to use other techniques besides vaccines to avoid the flu.

:yeahthat:

wellyes
10-30-2009, 05:32 PM

Oh, man, that is NOT what I meant, I promise! What scares me is hearing that multiple posters own kids HAVE been exposed to it, and that anecdote about 88 kids out of 500 being out sick one day at a school. I personally haven't known anyone who's had H1N1 -- I guess it isn't in my area much? -- and I keep hoping that the threat of it has been really overblown. I guess that's not the case.

In the media I hear about lack of vaccine availability, and about the few tragic stories of healthy kids who die from H1N1, but since it's not local to me I don't get a sense of the scope of the problem. Seeing that H1N1 has already hit so many people here is what freaks me out.

I feel bad that my post can be read as a slam, it really wasn't meant to be. I am just really getting the sense that H1N1 may be pretty hard to avoid, vaxed or not, and that's why I wrote what I did.

Moneypenny
10-30-2009, 05:34 PM

I hope this info makes you more comfortable...I know over 3 dozen people who have had H1N1 so far and they have all followed this advice.

ETA: Seeing your post of a minute ago, I hope I can also reassure you by saying that every single one of them has recovered just fine. One of them was my 12 year old niece who has severa asthma. She was sick for 4 days, stayed home from school a week just to be sure she was okay, and is completely back in the saddle now. I think for most people it's no fun at all, but it doesn't typically have a tragic outcome.

niccig
10-30-2009, 05:39 PM
Oh, man, that is NOT what I meant, I promise! What scares me is hearing that multiple posters own kids HAVE been exposed to it, and that anecdote about 88 kids out of 500 being out sick one day at a school. I personally haven't known anyone who's had H1N1 -- I guess it isn't in my area much? -- and I keep hoping that the threat of it has been really overblown. I guess that's not the case.

In the media I hear about lack of vaccine availability, and about the few tragic stories of healthy kids who die from H1N1, but since it's not local to me I don't get a sense of the scope of the problem. Seeing that H1N1 has already hit so many people here is what freaks me out.

I just got an email today of the first case at DS's elementary school. I was at a party yesterday and parents were complaining about not being able to get the vaccine. One friend got it for her 2 boys, after waiting 2 hours and was told they were out. She broke down with the nurse as she's pregnant and both boys have asthma and get pneumonia - they let her get 2 shots after all. But she doubts they'll be any for the 2nd shot.

Do I think it's inevitable? Yes. DS's elementary is small, so with one reported case, they'll be others so he's already been exposed. I can't get the vaccine, it's nowhere to be had. So, I'm putting my energies to keeping DS as healthy as possible, like what other people are doing.

bubbaray
10-30-2009, 05:44 PM
Sorry, (http://www.who.int/csr/disease/swineflu/notes/briefing_20091030/en/index.html) meant to start new thread

spanannie
10-30-2009, 08:39 PM
My son's school had 91 kids out on one day and they don't even have 500 people in 1-12. More than 1/2 of his class was out on that day--there were 3 kids present in one class--his teacher was absent, etc. Everyone who was sick stayed out a week. Our school sent E-mail after E-mail telling the rules regarding keeping your kid out of school until well. Of course, we pretty much all still got it. I think sometimes it's just inevitable, especially with school age kids. I was so scared of having the illness in our house as well, but, really, it wasn't at all what I conjured it up to be in my head. It wasn't fun having sick kids for 10 days, but it wasn't horrible either. It was the lingering fever that really kept my kids down.

I feel bad that my post can be read as a slam, it really wasn't meant to be. I am just really getting the sense that H1N1 may be pretty hard to avoid, vaxed or not, and that's why I wrote what I did.

egoldber
10-30-2009, 08:44 PM
Sigh. Sarah was fine this morning. Came home with a 99 fever that was 101 by bedtime. She's coughing and has a headache. Ah well. Some small comfort in the fact that I could not have even gotten her the vax if I had wanted it at this point.

Nooknookmom
10-30-2009, 10:17 PM
Sigh. Sarah was fine this morning. Came home with a 99 fever that was 101 by bedtime. She's coughing and has a headache. Ah well. Some small comfort in the fact that I could not have even gotten her the vax if I had wanted it at this point.

Uh, geez, sorry she's feeling cruddy. My oldest had this same string of symptoms a few weeks ago. Watch the headache, my DD's was *awful* and lasted 3 days, nothing helped it either.

I think we've all had it, but of course cannot confirm, I was on the fence about vaxing anyway. DD came home from HS yesterday and said that there are confirmed cases roaming around her grade, so the likelihood of it going through here already or everyone being exposed is pretty good.

I hope Sarah feels better soon!!! I also hope that she doesn't "share" the bug!