PDA

View Full Version : washing a cheap polyester costume.. says Dry Clean Only.. for real?

Tondi G
10-30-2009, 01:15 AM
My 4 year old did a trial run with his costume tonight and when he put it on said "ew mommy my costume smells like fish!"

I figured I would just pop it in the wash... gentle cycle (don't want the thing to fall apart). Can you not wash polyester? I need to get the smell out or I am sure my little guy is gonna complain all night about the stinky costume. what would you do? I just don't want to make a mistake and ruin it.. sending me running back to the party store for another last minute!

thanks a bunch

~Tondi

shawnandangel
10-30-2009, 01:37 AM
Can you just spray it with Febreeze? I know. I know. Not the best solution ever, but I wouldn't want to risk the costume falling apart.

wencit
10-30-2009, 01:41 AM
I would put it in the dryer on air dry (i.e. no heat at all, or at the very least, the coolest cycle you have) with a sheet of Dryel. It's supposed to be like home dry cleaning, and knock on wood, I've never had any problems with it. The smell of the Dryel sheet sort of freshens things up.

elektra
10-30-2009, 01:42 AM
After last year when DD got a horrible rash from her costume, I am going to wash every single costume from here on out. I would wash on gentle.
I am not an expert on laundry or fabrics but to me it would be worth any damage that gets done to the costume, in order for it to be cleaner.

sariana
10-30-2009, 01:48 AM
I think it would be okay to wash it in cold on the gentle cycle (or handwash if your machine has that setting), but don't put it in the dryer. It might shrink.

You may want to consider putting the costume inside an old pillowcase and tie the end, just in case any colors run. The pillowcase would also help protect the costume from the agitator.

codex57
10-30-2009, 02:06 AM
Clothing manufacturers put that "dry clean only" tags on for liability purposes. That way, if someone tries to wash it and it gets screwed up, they can blame the consumer cuz it's "dry clean only."

MommyAllison
10-30-2009, 02:23 AM
Some of DD's dress up stuff is dry-clean only (mostly Halloween costumes) and I always just toss it in with her clothes - in the dryer too. Our costumes do start to fall apart after awhile, but that's probably more due to the heavy use and crazy play than the washing. I'd wash it on delicate and hang dry if you are nervous. GL!

Tondi G
10-30-2009, 11:10 AM
thanks everyone! Into the washer... on gentle it goes!

gatorsmom
10-30-2009, 11:30 AM
Clothing manufacturers put that "dry clean only" tags on for liability purposes. That way, if someone tries to wash it and it gets screwed up, they can blame the consumer cuz it's "dry clean only."

:yeahthat: "Dry clean only" is kind of a catch-all term for fabrics or threads that haven't been tested for colorfastness or laundering in water. But, I worked in a dry cleaners for 3 years in high school and I have seen that with a few exceptions, most clothing items can be hand washed. The exceptions being, mens' suits, mens' ties, wool anything, leather or suede anything. Color that would run in the wash machne from a poorly died fabric will run in the dry cleaning machine, too, sometimes.

If I were you, i"d hand wash in the sink (not handwash in the machine) your child's costume. It will turn out fine.

happymom
10-30-2009, 11:34 AM
putting it in a pillowcase or mesh bag is a good idea

srhs
10-30-2009, 12:59 PM
thanks everyone! Into the washer... on gentle it goes!
That's what I would've done!
But do come back and update us!

Tondi G
10-30-2009, 09:05 PM
Update.

So I washed it on the gentle cycle with my older DS's costume... they are both being army soldier/commandos but 8 yr old has the real deal from the surplus store... 4 yr old just the simple shirt/pants from the costume shop. The costume did fade a little bit but my 4 year old could care less and he looked so cute... my 3rd graders teacher let him walk around with his big brother for the schools costume parade this afternoon!!!!

thanks everyone!