PDA

View Full Version : Ear Aches

infomama
10-30-2009, 07:20 AM
Sadly Dd1 came in last night complaining of a painful ear and this morning I can see drainage so I'm sure she has an infection. My ? is this....when your dc complain of ear pain do you go into 'healing mode' or do you give them a little pain med until you can see the doc.

By healing mode I mean start with massage/compresses or other natural solutions in an effort to avoid a Dr. visit. Has it worked?

JBaxter
10-30-2009, 08:08 AM
I do a warm compress or warmed garlic oil and some motrin. Yes we go to the doctor. My kids if it is hurting then it is pretty bad.

maydaymommy
10-30-2009, 09:38 AM
Do you see drainage outside of the ear? If so, you really must go.

Don't know how old your dd is, but kids under 2 often don't have the anatomy to fight off an ear infection themselves. The tubes, or some such part, are still mostly parallel, rather than horizontal which can make them drain more easily.

I would go ahead and take dd right away, especially because the fluid can cause other problems. My son had ear problems the past several weeks and I thought he had bronchitis or something because the fluid was giving him a miserable cough.

Good luck. Hope she feels better soon.

infomama
10-30-2009, 10:57 AM
Just got back from the doc...good old ear infection for sure. The Ped says that there really isn't anything I can do once there is severe pain (except comfort like compresses and if needed some Tylenol). She had drainage so I was sure she had an infection this time.

Jen841
10-30-2009, 11:08 AM
Discharge = INFECTION
Go to the Dr. There is a good chance there is a rupture which is VERY painful when it happens (think of a balloon bursting), and heals VERY fast. Unfortunately we are pro's with these. An Rx is needed, oral and/or drops.

ohiomom1121
10-30-2009, 11:35 AM
You can also try blowing warm air on low from a hair dryer in her ear if she'll tolerate it. The warm air can really help with the pain. Hope she feels better soon.