PDA

View Full Version : Quick: What Can I Take?

Indianamom2
10-30-2009, 08:50 AM
Nursing mom here. I've been flirting with a cold/virus and thought I was going to come out okay....got hit HARD last night with head congestion.

Had a miserable night last night. My head, neck and face feel like they are going to explode. What can I take?

Ibuprofen is okay, right? How about Sudafed? I believe the pharmacist said that could cause milk supply issues, but has anyone had that problem?

I seriously need to take something before I explode.

Christina

schrocat
10-30-2009, 08:53 AM
Tylenol is fine. So is Benadryl.

infomama
10-30-2009, 08:54 AM
Kellymom.com has a nice resource page on this subject. http://kellymom.com/health/meds/index.html

JBaxter
10-30-2009, 08:57 AM
You can take sudafed sparingly it can reduce milk production so drink lots of water but it wont dry you up unless your taking it long term and alot. Anything you can / could take while pregnant you can take breastfeeding.

Indianamom2
10-30-2009, 09:05 AM
Ugh...thanks.

I was looking at the Kellymom site just now. It looks like Sudafed isn't the best option, but Benadryl will knock me out during the day....so really, there's not much I can do.

This is not fun.

Christina

tylersmama
10-30-2009, 10:13 AM
Have you tried a neti pot or nasal rinse? I've found my neti pot really helps take the edge off of sinus pain and pressure.

Ceepa
10-30-2009, 10:15 AM
Chlor-Trimeton is OK.

MoJo
10-30-2009, 10:51 AM
I was really leery about the Sudafed, but took some in desperation last winter and had NO issues with milk supply.

So it depends, because it doesn't affect everyone the same. If you're desperate, you might try some and see how it goes. Nothing else helps me as much. I knew that lack of sleep could diminish my supply too.

Sure hope you get feeling better!

Tondi G
10-30-2009, 11:14 AM
I would take a dose of Tylenol and maybe one dose of sudafed (see if it effects your milk supply?). I also second the neti pot/nasal rinse suggestion. I use Alkalol as a nasal rinse/mucus solvent and it helps when I am congested.

mousemom
10-30-2009, 11:24 AM
When I was pregnant last year and sick with a very bad cold, I would boil a pot of water, then take it off the stove and sit over it, with a towel over my head and inhale the steam. I did this several times a day for a couple of days and it really helped break up the congestion. Hope you feel better soon!

elephantmeg
10-30-2009, 11:43 AM
trimenic cold is what my LC reccomends (the children's liq). Neti pot, ibuprofen, hot showers... hope you feel better!

catsnkid
10-30-2009, 01:27 PM
You can take guifenisen (mucinex/robitussin).