PDA

View Full Version : S/O thread: Who buys a Christmas present for YOU??

Corie
10-30-2009, 01:26 PM
I'm curious about Christmas presents.

Who buys a Christmas present for YOU??

I get a small present from my Dad & step-mom, usually a holiday decoration.

Then, my DH buys me presents. (He is a really great gift-giver!!) :)

gatorsmom
10-30-2009, 01:29 PM
My dad, my godmother (she has the most fun, unusual gifts), my ILs, sometimes my SIL, and DH.

Nyfeara
10-30-2009, 01:31 PM
My DH, mom, MIL, dad, brother, and usually something from DH's nieces/nephews. Sometimes we do a small exchange with the one neighbor, and I exchange with 3 co-workers (although these are usually $20 or less).

bubbaray
10-30-2009, 01:33 PM
My DH. And he SUCKS at gift giving.

TwinFoxes
10-30-2009, 01:34 PM
DH definitely. He goes overboard. But I'm assuming things will be scaled back this year! My MIL, usually an ugly clothing item, thank goodness for gift receipts! And my good friend from HS, but I'm ready for that to stop, it's hard to pick out stuff for her.

Oh, last year the girls got me something, and usually the dogs do too. I wonder who drives? ;)

Nothing from my side of the family since my mom passed away.

AnnieW625
10-30-2009, 01:38 PM
DH, my parents, my sister, my grandparents, a few aunts/uncles, DH's grandparents, my in laws give us a check, and my BIL and his wife give gifts to Elisa. My brother does the same, but honestly my brother doesn't make a lot of money so I don't expect anything from him and it's nice if he does.

I give the same people gifts in return.

elephantmeg
10-30-2009, 01:39 PM
DH, parents, grandma, IL's, BIL/SIL

egoldber
10-30-2009, 01:40 PM
DH and I do not exchange holiday gifts. We never have and I prefer it that way.

Until last year I got gifts from my mom and siblings, but last year we decided to only buy gifts for the kids and that works so well for me.

So I only get gifts from MIL/FIL and my SILs.

Seitvonzu
10-30-2009, 01:49 PM
my parents, my brother/his wife, sometimes my neice and nephew (but this is really just an offshoot of my brother/his wife), my DH

we used to do a sibling exchange with DH's family, but we're not doing that anymore...the same people give lu gifts as me, except adding ME (of course), and my DH's parents (WAY TOO MUCH). plus there is a "cousin exchange" this year (used to be buy for all kids...but really, they have SO much)

wellyes
10-30-2009, 01:51 PM
My parents give a check, very nice.
My ILs give me clothes that are too small (am I supposed to be flattered?)
DH used to be awful at presents but Amazon wishlist helps :)

Oh and "Santa" (aka me) also brings me a thing or two.....

JTsMom
10-30-2009, 01:55 PM
My parents. My grandma usually sends a check. DH and I sometimes exchange, sometimes not. This year, we'll be moving into our house right after the holdiays, and we have our Disney trip, so that seems like plenty of "gifts". We may do some small token type of thing- something more sentimental than pricey, but I can't imagine anything more than that.

MoJo
10-30-2009, 01:56 PM
Mostly my mom, but I'm working on getting her to direct gifts to DD since she really can't afford to buy for all of us. I told her that gifts for my DD ARE gifts for me, and she bought that last year. . . maybe not so much this year.

DH if reminded. (He's a very good gift giver, but "routine gifts" only. He won't put something back for a special occasion like Christmas, birthday, anniversary.)

My sister.

My boss, probably my co-worker.

Maybe my SIL.

Those people will buy at least one individual gift for me, and usually more.

Then DH, DD, and I will receive a family gift from MIL & FIL, BIL & SIL, & the other BIL.

MontrealMum
10-30-2009, 02:00 PM
DH gives me a gift, but this year I think we're buying each other a couch---the one couch, not one each LOL ;) He also chooses something to be to me from DS. My parents and DH's give checks to go into DS' RESP, and usually a small gift as well. SIL/BIL do and don't give gifts, and their price range varies drastically. Our relationship with them is a bit odd. I also do gifts with my BFF.

egoldber
10-30-2009, 02:03 PM
DH and I do often buy something for "us" or for the house rather than for each other.

MontrealMum
10-30-2009, 02:11 PM
DH and I do often buy something for "us" or for the house rather than for each other.
I think that's really what we're going to be doing from now on. Now that we have DS it just doesn't seem as important, and also, neither one of us really needs anything. But we do need things like couches, and washing machines!

maestramommy
10-30-2009, 02:26 PM
Besides Dh, my MIL always gets me a gift. So does SIL's family. It's rather sweet, since I've pretty much stopped expecting gifts from family. We're not as much of a gift giving family as Dh's family. What we do now (esp. in light of the economy) is give gifts to the kids. In some ways it's more fun to find and get gifts for kids. Grownups can be so hard to shop for:p

arivecchi
10-30-2009, 02:27 PM
DH
MIL & FIL
my mom
my aunt
do a lottery with SILs and BILs
nanny
assistant

Moneypenny
10-30-2009, 02:30 PM
DH and I don't buy gifts for each other (which makes my life sooooo much easier!!) So that leaves:

my mom and stepdad
my dad and stepmom

I have finally convinced DH's family to do a gender-neutral gift exchange, so I get a present through that but it isn't something purchased specifically for me.

mommylamb
10-30-2009, 03:04 PM
DH, my parents, my sister and BIL. that's about it. the ILs all live in England, so we only send presents for my niece and nephew over there. it's too hard to get gifts for all the adults and then very costly to ship them.

jgenie
10-30-2009, 03:13 PM
DH - I may discuss skipping gifts to each other since we generally just buy something if we want it.
DS
MIL
BIL/SILs - we generally get a combined gift for DH & I
my sister - I finally talked my family into skipping gifts for the adults we just get the kids gifts now

We've slowly dropped gifts to outsiders and I really must say I like it so much better. December rolls around and we're not fighting the crowds to find 'something for everyone'. It makes the holidays so much nicer for us.

Melaine
10-30-2009, 03:21 PM
Basically DH, my parents and siblings. And my grandmother still gives us a little check.

KrisM
10-30-2009, 03:40 PM
My parents, DH and the kids.

I'm surprised at how many here don't get gifts from their kids.

I take each child shopping with me (alone) and let them help pick out stuff for DH. It's from a list, but they pick. Then, they each get $3 to spend on him at the Dollar Store and they can pick out anything they want. One year, my DH got a pen with "Marty" on it. His name is not Marty. He's also received cookies, a windshield scrapper, and other things that the kids think he needs :).

ETA: DH buys for my kids to give to me, but he has them help wrap them.

Melaine
10-30-2009, 03:43 PM
In past years, DH and I have each gotten something "from the girls". Maybe this year they can actually be a part of the gift process.

g-mama
10-30-2009, 03:49 PM
My DH - he is an overly generous and extravagant gift giver. I love him.

My MIL buys our family a "family gift." And we draw names with his siblings, so I get one gift from that gift exchange.

mommyp
10-30-2009, 03:50 PM
My parents, my ILs, then we do a gift exchange among siblings on both sides. Last year we got each other small gifts from DD, not sure when she'll be ready to participate in gift-giving. This year DH and I are doing something for us.

Ceepa
10-30-2009, 05:42 PM
My parents, my ILs, siblings on both sides, the kids and DH (he's really great about it).

hillview
10-30-2009, 06:30 PM
DH and my parents. Also BIL, SIL and MIL (usually something I don't like/want etc. like a winnie the pooh statue sort of thing).
/hillary

vludmilla
10-30-2009, 09:36 PM
DH, mother, father (they're divorced), grandparents, aunts and uncles, MIL/FIL. Sometimes we do a secret santa thing with my SIL's/BIL's, my sister, secret santa at work, secret santa with a a group of girlfriends, my best friend. Yikes. this is a big list. Oh, and I work in a school so usually some gifts there too.

SnuggleBuggles
10-30-2009, 09:41 PM
I get gifts from my parents, my siblings, my aunt, the boys, dh, SIL, BIL, other SIL, ILs and usually some extended member of dh's family.

Beth

kijip
10-31-2009, 06:34 AM
We receive a gift from my MIL each year, usually combined, and a few family members of mine send $$. My dad always makes a basket of food items. It's his thing. The baskets are hilariously hideous but the food inside is pretty good. My mom always bought us a gift of some sort even though she was on a very low income. I will miss how thoughtful she was about that. My brother and BIL usually give us something but I think we have managed to end that (as in mutual agreement to buy for the kids only). I have a number of friends that give handmade tokens, as we have a no gift agreement with them (instead we pool our resources for a family in need of holiday help). Like Beth, my husband and I don't generally exchange gifts. Our anniversary is somewhat close to Christmas and sometime between November and February we buy a piece of art for the house together as a combined present to ourselves for our anniversary and Christmas. We don't let ourselves buy needs with that $$- just something we would not otherwise need or splurge on. Some years that has been super cheap, other years pretty pricey. It does mean that now that we are reaching our 8th anniversary we have 8 things on the wall/in the house making it look better than it otherwise would. We have bought everything from paintings to a small sculpture to a decorative vase. We do often wrap up token gifts for each other and I am talking token- $3 used CDs, bars of Lava Soap, tweezers...

T buys us each a gift from him own money for the last 2 years. He has sole discretion over this, and that usually means something to eat. ;)

mecawa
10-31-2009, 09:17 AM
My husband, my mom, my dad, my sister, my MIL, my SIL's/BIL's, and my best friend and then we have an extended family grab (draw a name out of the hat and buy for that person, that includes aunts, uncle, grandparents, cousins, etc.)

Corie
10-31-2009, 11:35 AM
My DH - he is an overly generous and extravagant gift giver. I love him.

Don't you love this? :) My DH is the same way.

shawnandangel
10-31-2009, 11:46 AM
My parents give a check
My Inlaws give gifts
My brothers/sisters
My DH gets me a gift. He's not always the best gift giver but I know he puts a lot of thought and time into it. I DO NOT want to end up like my MIL who buys her own Christmas present, wraps it and then tells FIL thank you on Christmas morning.