PDA

View Full Version : What are you buying for the Men in your life?

gatorsmom
10-30-2009, 02:28 PM
I try to make it easy for DH to buy me stuff. But, he doesn't make it easy at all and he's a terrible big baby if he does't get gifts he likes for Christmas. It drives me nuts. He never gives me any ideas and he says he doesn't want anything but he's always clearly disappointed then when I don't get him anything. :banghead:

So, I"m on the lookout for ideas. A couple of years ago I got him a remote start for his car. He still sings my praises for that. 2 years ago I bought him 2 hours of flight lessons at a tiny airport near my Dad's house (Dad lives in a smallish town so not a lot of air traffic and it was much cheaper to buy the lessons there!). This year, I'm struggling with any ideas.

So, what are you getting your guys? Please tell your big and small gift ideas!

catpagmo
10-30-2009, 02:32 PM
The only idea I have for DH so far is to get him tickets to a few basketball/hockey games so he can go out with his buddies. I am hoping that some time in "men's town" will lower his stress level a bit. :)

citymama
10-30-2009, 02:37 PM
DH desperately needs clothes, so that's what he's getting! He needs sweaters, jeans, t-shirts, the works. That's about it!

Seitvonzu
10-30-2009, 02:42 PM
citymomma-- my dh needs clothes too. he's always so resistant about it. i need to keep my eyes open for deals i suppose. he needs PANTS!!!

brittone2
10-30-2009, 02:44 PM
DH is getting mostly clothes I think. He's normally a PITB to take shopping, etc. and never wants to buy anything for himself. However, he has been out of the job market (full time graduate student in a PhD program) for the last 4+ years, and he can use a (professional) wardrobe update. Some new polos, dress pants, Brooks Bros shirts, maybe a thin merino sweater, etc.

It is stuff he'll need anyway so I might as well roll it into Christmas for him.

wellyes
10-30-2009, 02:47 PM
I have a suggestion - I recently got DH the Braun Series 7 (http://www.amazon.com/Braun-7-790cc-Pulsonic-Shaver/dp/B000Q6SU3C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1256928237&sr=8-1) razor. Yup, it's a $200+ electric razor. But it's awesome. It's an electric razor for guys who normally can't use them. DH went from taking 20 minutes showers trying to get his facial hair soft enough to shave to using this thing for 3 minutes, then popping it back into its self-cleaning case. Anyway, if you want one, best price I saw was at BJ's.

ourbabygirl
10-30-2009, 02:49 PM
Thanks for starting this thread- I was going to post something similar, asking for ideas for my DH's birthday in November. So far I'm thinking a pair of galosh-type things to put on his shoes for wearing out in the snow/ muck, and he/we also need a new big suitcase, but I think that's too boring & practical for a bday (or Christmas) present. Maybe some clothes or a new coat- his old black peacoat is too big for him now, so he could use something nice and better-fitting. Any suggestions for a coat your guy loves? I'd like to get him one with a hood, too. Do your guys like picking out their own clothes, or would they rather have you do it?

mommylamb
10-30-2009, 03:02 PM
My DH has an Amazon wish list that is several miles long. He's the easiest person in the world to buy for. But, as I said in the thread on the gift for me... I want a Macbook, and DH agreed that that would be our present to each other, so that's what he's getting too.

MoJo
10-30-2009, 03:06 PM
I'm thinking a collection of after shaves for DH; he recently started shaving with a vintage double-edge safety razor and is really into that right now. I watch was probably the best gift I ever gave him.

He buys all his own clothes and has way too many (he likes to shop).

I'll either get a political book or an addition to the Christmas train for my boss.

I'll get clothes for my brother; he's been out of work for three years and is a somewhat hard-to-find size.

MontrealMum
10-30-2009, 03:07 PM
In the past I have usually bought DH clothes. He doesn't always appreciate my more "daring" taste, but generally prefers that I pick things out for him. (someone asked upthread) His color matching obsessiveness (no, they don't actually "match" LOL) can make for some interesting outfits LOL! This year we are buying a couch for "each other", and he's getting the ski kit for our new Chariot. I'll probably get him something little too, but don't know what yet.

I usually buy my Dad a really nice sweater or rugby and a book unless he's asked for something specific. Will probably also do a nice framed pic of him w/DS from our vacation this summer. FIL gets a book too, and something else "fun" - I'm trying to liven the ILs up ;) I like to get a book for BIL too as I never have any idea what to buy for him, but he loves to read and cook. The older nephew will get a gift cert as he's 15 and it's just too hard. Younger nephew will either get some sort of sporty accessory, or a nice sweater.

KpbS
10-30-2009, 03:15 PM
Probably some kayaking gear--picked out by DH. :shy: And probably some new clothing (athletic l/s shirts and pants) picked out by me.

This year I think we are going to be exchanging homemade gifts with my brother and BIL. Not sure what those will be yet.

brittone2
10-30-2009, 03:18 PM
Oh, and another thing I usually pick up for him each year is like a mixed 6 pack of microbrews, etc. from a place w/ a lot of variety (world market in my area, as well as a few small wine stores that carry craft/microbrews). Something small but generally appreciated by DH ;) Fun and pretty easy.

He also homebrews so some years I've picked up nice kits for him (midwest supply http://beta.midwestsupplies.com/ is usually our go to source).

The men in my life in general are soooooo difficult to shop for. Seriously. I have 4 brothers, and then my dad, FIL, etc. and I find each and every one of them a challenge to shop for.

wendibird22
10-30-2009, 03:28 PM
I'm thinking about a power washer (he's always dying to clean our siding and our front porch) and/or an extension ladder (we've lived in our house for 4.5 yrs and don't own anything taller than a step ladder!). Just need to find a place to hide them. Trying to do all my holiday shopping long before baby arrives but not exactly sure where one hides a ladder!

KpbS
10-30-2009, 03:31 PM
but not exactly sure where one hides a ladder!

at a good friend's house ;)

niccig
10-30-2009, 03:39 PM
at a good friend's house ;)

or a neighbour's house. I'd be willing to keep a ladder in my garage.

ourbabygirl
10-30-2009, 03:39 PM
Make sure someone at the store (Home Depot or wherever) hauls it out to your car for you- don't put stress on your back & pregnant tummy! :)

larig
10-30-2009, 04:57 PM
I have a suggestion - I recently got DH the Braun Series 7 (http://www.amazon.com/Braun-7-790cc-Pulsonic-Shaver/dp/B000Q6SU3C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1256928237&sr=8-1) razor. Yup, it's a $200+ electric razor. But it's awesome. It's an electric razor for guys who normally can't use them. DH went from taking 20 minutes showers trying to get his facial hair soft enough to shave to using this thing for 3 minutes, then popping it back into its self-cleaning case. Anyway, if you want one, best price I saw was at BJ's.

thanks for this, DH is also one of those guys. razor blades are super expensive.

AnnieW625
10-30-2009, 05:46 PM
DH had a Braun razor and hated it. He much prefers the Norelco.

I am not sure what I am getting DH this year, but he needs clothes so I'll most likely be getting him some of those. I'll probably also look for a DVD for him; probably The Boondocks or some anime.

SnuggleBuggles
10-30-2009, 06:10 PM
Make sure someone at the store (Home Depot or wherever) hauls it out to your car for you- don't put stress on your back & pregnant tummy! :)

Eh. I bought dh a hammock for his first Father's Day when I was 9m pregnant. Everyone kept offering to help me carry it since it was kind of heavy and extremely awkward. I liked doing it though, made me feel more accomplished. And, of course, at that point you are happy to be doing some physical activity that might put you in labor. :)

Beth

SnuggleBuggles
10-30-2009, 06:11 PM
Video games, cognac and me taking the time reorganize his workshop area.

Beth

hbridge
10-30-2009, 06:23 PM
or a neighbour's house. I'd be willing to keep a ladder in my garage.

Yep, we had four bikes in our garage one Christmas Eve. "Santa" came and got them in the middle of the night for delivery to the kids across the street...

gobadgers
10-30-2009, 06:23 PM
I'm trying to resist getting home stuff that we need anyway - ladder, snowblower, etc... but that doesn't leave me with much.

he could use a bit of a wardrobe update, but is so picky.

he'll get some nice pics of the kiddos for his office.

I'm looking forward to more ideas on this thread!

Tondi G
10-30-2009, 08:59 PM
If he doesn't buy it for himself before Christmas it will be an ipod nano that takes video. He wants it. We went into an apple store and played with it... I was surprised he didn't jump in lone to buy it then and there!

Underwear is always a given too! LOL

alexmommy
10-30-2009, 09:13 PM
probably clothes. DH is very picky, but shops with me and is quick to point out stuff he would like. :)

Btw, if you have a Joseph A. Banks store near you, everything in the store (except shoes & gift cards) is 50% off tomorrow. It's a good deal. We went there W & Th PM. (DH takes a LONG time to select clothes, but he has good taste--guess who got to entertain DS? Thankfully there are 3-way mirrors...)

I returned there today to get a tie that wasn't in his budget but he wanted (and had conveniently put on layaway).