PDA

View Full Version : consign clothes, or cash ?

BeachBum
10-30-2009, 03:31 PM
I've got two consignment stores in my area. One pays cash for clothes and the other does a 50/50 split for consignment.

I'm thinking I may do better at the consignment place since I think most of the stuff will sell. Neither place will tell me over the phone what they pay, or what outfits typically sell for. I just don't have the time to go in there and browse to see. I'm selling mostly gymbo outfits.

Any idea what would be better?

codex57
10-30-2009, 03:49 PM
Are you desperate for money, or are you doing this for some extra cash?

Consignment typically will net you a TON more money. If they give cash, they often give you basically nothing for your whole lot.

If you don't have a lot of clothes, it might be the difference of getting 50 cents versus 5 dollars, but that's a HUGE difference in percent.

MamaMolly
10-30-2009, 05:09 PM
They need to eyeball the clothes so they can give you an estimate. Condition can be subjective.

I'd try the consignment first and then take what ever doesn't sell over to the other shop to get at least a little for it. IME the consignment shops have scheduled markdowns based on how long an item has been in the shop, then the clothes are either picked up or donated to charity. Also, be aware that many shops won't gather your unsold stuff for you, they ask that you come in and search it out which can be time consuming.

awoodm
10-30-2009, 09:59 PM
I have never done consignment, but we usually have good luck with Once Upon a Child (cash for clothes), I will take a few totes of Gap, Gymbo etc... in and walk out with $175-$200. I always call around first to see who is taking what. Some locations will only take certain sizes/seasons. I like taking everything to one place and being done with it.