PDA

View Full Version : DO I really *need* a maternity coat?

JTsMom
10-30-2009, 04:53 PM
I bought a cheap-o Liz Lange one at Target, but DH made such a face when I tried it on, I can't possibly keep it. :ROTFLMAO:Motherhood has a much more flattering one, (for more than twice the price), but the thought of spending $90 on something I'll wear a few times, over a couple month period, is killing me. I'm sure I can re-sell it, but you know Motherhood isn't exactly the best quality, so who knows how it will hold up.

Our weather rarely gets THAT cold here, and I hate wearing coats, so I only put them on when it's absolutely necessary, then take them off the second I'm in the car.

So, save the $, or suck it up and buy it and just get it over with?

citymama
10-30-2009, 04:56 PM
I didn't the first time around. I'm left with a Patagonia fleece jacket with a permanent "pooch." ;) I'll probably wear it this time again and not buy a maternity coat. The first time, I lived in New England where it really did get cold, but I was frugal, and used my fleece jacket layered with my regular winter coat. I was able to fit into even my coat (with a couple of buttons open) almost all the way through. It was only in my last month that I was bursting out of it, but I made it without having to buy one.

Since you're not due for a while, you should be able to get by without one unless you get really big really soon!

bubbaray
10-30-2009, 04:57 PM
I didn't have a maternity winter coat with either girl -- I used DH's goretex coat occasionally, though

arivecchi
10-30-2009, 05:00 PM
No! I live in Chicago and got by with a larger than normal fleece from Lands End and a heavy shawl type thingie similar to this one:

http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=4054058

Katigre
10-30-2009, 05:15 PM
I got an Old Navy maternity coat used on a message board swap for $25 :).

I wouldn't pay new for a maternity coat - I would buy used (if you would wear it). I wore it almost every day during my pregnancy last winter.

KathyN115
10-30-2009, 08:37 PM
Personally, I wouldn't bother. But, I recently ordered this coat from Lands End and had to return it because it was too roomy. It would definitely work as a maternity coat, and you could probably wear it again.

http://www.landsend.com/pp/LuxuryFleeceSwingCoat~194097_59.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::CAH&CM_MERCH=IDX_00008__0000000141&origin=index

I am usually an 8, and the small fit me fine, with plenty of room for a pregnant belly. HTH!

ThreeofUs
10-30-2009, 08:51 PM
I bought two coats while pg with DS1 - a raincoat and a wool winter coat - but they are just regular coats in my size that happened to be extremely roomy about the waist. I still wear them; they just have a different "drape" now, kwim?

SnuggleBuggles
10-30-2009, 09:22 PM
I wore one of dh's fleece coats and it fit fine.

I could wear some of my coats too. Ds2 was due in Nov. (came in Dec.) so I didn't have to make it through a whole winter. I did wear that fleece for several weeks after out of habit.

Beth

catsnkid
10-30-2009, 09:30 PM
I didn't but I was due in late May. I wear kinda big jackets that zip up and they fit through March (live in NE). I also wore a maternity sweatshirt a lot and a Talbots sweatshirt that tied, not zipped.

WitMom
10-30-2009, 09:34 PM
DD2 was born in May, and at the time we lived in the Twin Cities. Somehow, my regular coat got me through fine. If I was going to be outside playing in the snow with kids and stuff, I would probably get one, but for just quick trips to/from the car, etc., I wouldn't bother.

sansdieu
10-30-2009, 11:25 PM
I bought a cheap-o Liz Lange one at Target, but DH made such a face when I tried it on, I can't possibly keep it. :ROTFLMAO:Motherhood has a much more flattering one, (for more than twice the price), but the thought of spending $90 on something I'll wear a few times, over a couple month period, is killing me. I'm sure I can re-sell it, but you know Motherhood isn't exactly the best quality, so who knows how it will hold up.

Our weather rarely gets THAT cold here, and I hate wearing coats, so I only put them on when it's absolutely necessary, then take them off the second I'm in the car.

So, save the $, or suck it up and buy it and just get it over with?

If you're due in June AND you're in Georgia, then a resounding NO. ;)
If you were due in February in Minnesota, that would be a whole different story...

MoJo
10-31-2009, 06:37 AM
If you're due in June AND you're in Georgia, then a resounding NO.

:yeahthat:

I was due in June last time, am due in June this time, and did not buy and have no intention of buying a maternity coat. If need be, leave your coat open and get a great scarf.

Melaine
10-31-2009, 08:10 AM
I just bought a nice coat at Goodwill a couple sizes up.

JTsMom
10-31-2009, 09:28 AM
Wow, glad I asked. Thanks guys- I'll definitely skip it, and just make due with what DH has, and/or leave my regular one open.

doberbrat
10-31-2009, 09:29 AM
I'm due in dec living in New England and I'm not buying one. I can make due w/my coat open or borrow one of dh's.

but I'm not fussy about how I look ;-)

♥ms.pacman♥
11-02-2009, 12:41 PM
i'm due at the end of January and while I've gotten tons of maternity clothes, I'm definitely not getting a maternity winter coat. For me it would be waste of $$ for something I'll only use for a couple months (and may not get to even use with my next pregnancies, depending on when i'm due - i'm in the South as well, and here it's only really cold from Nov-Feb).

what i plan on doing is using my husbands Burberry winter coat, which he rarely uses anyway. i'm lucky though, my DH is the same height as me and wears a L/XL so it will be big enough for me but not be too long. Also, since here in TX you have to drive EVERYWHERE, winter coats are only used from walking across parking lots anyway. The only case I'd buy a maternity winter coat is if I lived in a place like NYC or Boston where a) it actually got really cold and b) I had to walk/take subway everywhere.

kozachka
11-02-2009, 12:45 PM
I lived in SF Bay Area and DS was due in December. I did not buy a coat. I got through the end of the pregnancy by wearing a large fleece jacket. I don't think you need a coat in GA but it really depends on your lifestyle.

lizzywednesday
11-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Look, I live in the Northeast (NJ) and didn't bother with a maternity coat, although I was due for a new winter coat anyway ... so I split the difference and bought a new dress coat (wool/cashmere blend) in a "swing" style that should accommodate my body through December, January & February, assuming I continue to carry small ... and will still "work" for me post-baby and next year. (I am due in March, which can be funny around these parts!)

I basically thought of this new coat as an "investment piece" - a high quality item of clothing that I can wear until it falls apart.

lowrioh
11-02-2009, 12:50 PM
If you're due in June AND you're in Georgia, then a resounding NO. ;)
If you were due in February in Minnesota, that would be a whole different story...

I was due in Early August with DD and I live in DC and I didn't buy one. I did get a nice wrap like this one (sans belt) and I still wear it now.

http://www.nyandcompany.com/nyco/browse/productDetailWithPicker.jsp?FLCat=cat70094&productId=prod1440044&categoryId=cat1270004&addFacet=1002%3Acat1270004

clc053103
11-03-2009, 12:30 PM
I never had one- just used a regular coat and left it open. I was always so stinkin hot it didn't matter!

wendibird22
11-03-2009, 12:48 PM
I'm due in dec living in New England and I'm not buying one. I can make due w/my coat open or borrow one of dh's.

but I'm not fussy about how I look ;-)
:yeahthat:

I'm still able to button the top button of my pea coat. Looks a bit goofy but I don't care. Only need to make it work from my car to my office of my car to the grocery store. Not planning on spending any extended periods of time out in the cold.

parelle
11-03-2009, 04:58 PM
I asked about recommendations not too long ago:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=338230

... and, as it turned out, I didn't need to get one. For one thing, it warmed up since I originally posted (I was out today in a long sweater). And, my scrawny skinny husband (who's 20 pounds lighter than me to start, never mind when 9 months pregnant) has a fleece jacket he never uses because it's too big, which I only uncovered by accident. Sure, it looks silly with my skirts at times, but it does cover my belly just fine.

For more dressy occasions, I've done the pashima scarf + open wool coat look - I'm now past the point of being able to button any of the buttons on my coat now.

newg
11-03-2009, 10:34 PM
I didn't get one.........I have a regular wool pea coat and used it the entire time........by the end I just had the top button latched and wrapped a scarf around my neck.......................I live in Ohio......not new england cold.......but cold enough for snow on the ground!!
I also have a columbia jacket that has two zippers.....so for a while I would zip it up and then use the bottom zipper to open it up at the bottom to let my belly "breathe"......after a while I couldn't zip over the bump.....but it was good through the first six months or so!

Piglet
11-03-2009, 10:50 PM
I think it depends on your winters - we live in the Great White North and a coat is non-negotiable! I bought one at ON (big, down puffy coat) and also a nice work coat at Target (liz Lange wool knee-length coat). They were both amazing and total necessities. I then passed them onto my friends and they were well loved (and probably will be well loved by someone again this winter). If you live in a warmer climate, a fleece in 1 size larger will do the trick, I think. I had one of those too (for fall) and it was well loved as well. You might want to check out Ebay/consignment stores!