PDA

View Full Version : Who does the christmas shopping in your house?

hillview
10-30-2009, 06:51 PM
I do all of it. Even sometimes my own. DH always gets me something and often will get something random (IMO) for someone.
/hillary

Melaine
10-30-2009, 06:54 PM
I also do all of it and sometimes some of my own.

gatorsmom
10-30-2009, 06:55 PM

:yeahthat: I shop for my dad's grandkids too, sometimes.

becca_g
10-30-2009, 06:59 PM
DH and I do most of it together.

TwinFoxes
10-30-2009, 07:03 PM
I do it all. But I love it! I don't buy for myself however. My DH would feel bad, and I think I would too!

lchang25000
10-30-2009, 07:10 PM
I do it all (sometimes with friends) and I love it that way!

g-mama
10-30-2009, 07:19 PM
I do it all.

And then usually on Christmas Eve my dh goes out and buys a bunch of stuff for the kids without checking with me and totally blows the budget.

kozachka
10-30-2009, 07:25 PM
I do all the shopping and I resent it but if I don't do it than it won't get done so I don't really have a choice. If DH were to do the shopping, we'd end up spending much more. Plus he shops really last minute, like the day of the event or the night before, which is not handy for relatives who live out of town.

infomama
10-30-2009, 08:04 PM
I do all the shopping. Don't have to buy my own gifts although I am pretty specific about what I want.

gobadgers
10-30-2009, 08:07 PM
I do it all.

And then usually on Christmas Eve my dh goes out and buys a bunch of stuff for the kids without checking with me and totally blows the budget.

This is us exactly. I appreciate that he wants to buy presents, but I just can't convince him that its worth looking/researching/purchasing ahead of time. Sigh.

ZeeBaby
10-30-2009, 08:07 PM
I do the bulk of the shopping. Sometimes DH will pick a gift or two, but always at full price.

ett
10-30-2009, 08:10 PM

:yeahthat:

BabyMine
10-30-2009, 08:27 PM
We both do it but I have a hard time shopping with DH. He acts more like a kid in the Toy store. I hear a lot of "Oh I want that" and "That is so cool". It makes shopping fun.

jgenie
10-30-2009, 08:29 PM
I do all of it. It's much cheaper that way and way more organized. I try to have the bulk of it done by the beginning of December. DH will buy a few things a few days before Christmas without thinking about the cost.

vludmilla
10-30-2009, 09:23 PM
I do all of it with few exceptions. I never buy my own gift, DH always does that himself.

SnuggleBuggles
10-30-2009, 09:24 PM
I do all of it. Even sometimes my own. DH always gets me something and often will get something random (IMO) for someone.
/hillary

That's how things work here too. I can usually send him out to do the annual liquor gift run (scotch for FIL, scotch for BIL, misc. other people...). Sometimes if he is going out for me I'll give him a list. It is mostly my domain though. I wouldn't mind sharing.

Beth

jent
10-30-2009, 09:32 PM
I do it all, including his family. I haven't yet bought for myself, but I'm thinking I might have to this year. Last year DH kind of pushed the "it's the thought that counts" thing a little too far.

lmwbasye
10-30-2009, 09:35 PM
I do most of it...if not all. I do get some feedback from DH on ideas I have for people and ask him if he has any ideas for the kiddos, but ultimately, I pretty much do all of it.

awoodm
10-30-2009, 09:48 PM
I do all of it. DH could really care less. I used to leave his immediate family up to him, but I think I will need to take care of that this year- he likes to procrastinate big time and it drives me crazy. What's funnier, is DH really likes shopping typically, he just isn't into Christmas shopping I guess.

Puddy73
10-30-2009, 10:18 PM
I do all of it. It's much cheaper that way and way more organized. I try to have the bulk of it done by the beginning of December. DH will buy a few things a few days before Christmas without thinking about the cost.

Ditto. DH would do some shopping if I asked him to, but he wouldn't put much thought into it. When we were first married I reminded him to pick up gifts for his two older sisters. He went to Walgreens and bought them Teddy Bears holding candy canes. Pretty typical of his gift buying habits.

WitMom
10-30-2009, 11:09 PM
I do the majority of it, and that's because I really enjoy it and I have pretty specific ideas of what I want to give people, especially DDs. DH's family is very small, so the only gifts we really need to buy for them are for his parents, his nephew, and an aunt and uncle. He typically does that shopping himself after we discuss what to give them. He will also buy me a present from the girls, but the presents that Santa brings for him and I are all arranged by yours truly. And to be honest, I don't mind. I get what I want that way. How greedy is that!

MoJo
10-31-2009, 06:52 AM
I'm with Awoodm:

I do all of it. DH could really care less. I used to leave his immediate family up to him, but I think I will need to take care of that this year- he likes to procrastinate big time and it drives me crazy. What's funnier, is DH really likes shopping typically, he just isn't into Christmas shopping I guess.

MamaMolly
10-31-2009, 07:32 AM
I do al the shopping except for DH's gift to me, which is invariably a bit of jewelry he buys on Dec. 24. At 7:00pm.

His family is exceedingly hard to shop for. They tend to be check writers. One year I was fed up with trying to figure out what to buy DH's family and told him it was his job and that I'd buy for mine. It totally backfired!

We were doing a group Christmas at my house and my family did our usual thing of thoughtful little presents, a few gags and one thing really nice for each other. I'd only bought the one 'nice' thing for each of DH's family. DH was well aware of all this, but didn't get his family *anything* and I ended up looking really bad. My mom even opened the ONE gift I had for MIL! :banghead:

egoldber
10-31-2009, 07:56 AM
I buy for our all the kids, ours and the nieces and nephews we buy for. DH is responsible for his parents and siblings.

This year he has some ideas for Sarah. As she gets older, he has better ideas. :)

AJP
10-31-2009, 08:45 AM
Me, me and me!

Melanie
10-31-2009, 11:30 AM
Mostly me. I try to get Dh involved here & there. Last year we made a spending budget (& idea list) together which was really useful for him not critiquing the dollar amount that was actually spent. We also did one shopping trip together last year which was nice. We didn't get a ton done but he did get to help a bit. I think he enjoyed it, when when you reduce it to just one day. LOL.

I don't like to buy for his family b/c they never seem to like what I get anyway. So I shove all that to him, or at least pull teeth to get him to tell me something specific and I'll get that. I'm done giving them much 'headspace' to figure out the perfect things!