PDA

View Full Version : What DSLR are you getting or do you recommend?

hillview
10-30-2009, 06:54 PM
I used to use old fashioned analog Nikon cameras (F series). I have been using mediocre digital cameras and want a DSLR for Christmas. I don't want to break the bank and not sure I have a need for massive megapixels. I would usually use the images for printing cards, photos for picture frames etc. Suggestions?
/hillary

m448
10-30-2009, 07:23 PM
canon xsi - love mine and have been venturing more and more into manual settings.

Radosti
10-30-2009, 08:55 PM
I just got the Nikon D40 with an 18-60 mm lens kit at Target on super-clearance for $174.99. Can't beat that, so I'm happy as a clam.

LarsMal
10-30-2009, 10:58 PM
I just got the Nikon D40 with an 18-60 mm lens kit at Target on super-clearance for $174.99. Can't beat that, so I'm happy as a clam.

Wow- that's a great deal!

We got a Nikon SLR when we got married, so I was comfortable with Nikon. We got the D40 two years ago and I still love it!

codex57
10-30-2009, 11:07 PM
D40 unless you wanna step up to the D90

SkyrMommy
10-31-2009, 11:46 AM
We have a Pentax K200. I was a Nikon lady with my film camera, & DH was Pentax man...

We went with Pentax because it has the anti-vibration built into the body of the camera, which made buying different lenses much less expensive than Canon or Nikon. I need anything from micro to macro for my photography. Although many (ok, most) of the photographs of the last 6 months have been of DD!

codex57
10-31-2009, 11:56 AM
I believe Canon builds anti-vibration into their bodies. It's Nikon who doesn't.

That said, there's a lot of advantages in choosing Canon/Nikon, primarily cuz they're the two biggest players in the market by far and all the lenses and accessories are plentiful for them. Especially among friends and family who want charge you to borrow them. :)

If OP already has film Nikon, she should check out Nikon first. She might have quite a few compatible accessories already. Some of the lenses should work too, at least for part of the range.

lizzywednesday
10-31-2009, 01:13 PM
DH loves his Canon Rebel XTI, which he found on mega-sale right around the time we got married two years ago.

It's very reliable and he likes it because it's big enough to fit comfortably in his hands. The sole drawback is that it can get heavy, so he bought another point-and-shoot with super-zoom for mucking around. (It's also a Canon, but I don't remember the model number.)

HTH.

SkyrMommy
10-31-2009, 01:19 PM
If OP already has film Nikon, she should check out Nikon first. She might have quite a few compatible accessories already. Some of the lenses should work too, at least for part of the range.

Good point... we had several lenses for both brands so that was less of an issue for us.

Interesting article on stabilization and what may/may not be the next camera progression...
http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/image_stabilization.html