PDA

View Full Version : What does Santa bring a nb?

doberbrat
10-30-2009, 07:06 PM
dd is 4 so she really 'gets' Santa. She's already asked if Santa is bringing the yet-to-be-born baby gifts.

I said yes, but that nb would only get a small gift b/c its going to be so little. She seemed unconvinced.

So, what should Santa bring? Nb will need NOTHING. I've got baby stuff coming out of my ears. and since most of my leave is unpaid, I dont really want to 'waste' $$ either.

eta how do I explain disparity if she gets a big gift and nb gets a 'token' gift and very little from us?

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
10-30-2009, 07:09 PM
A little bro/sis shirt? DD would be amused I would think. I buy DD a Swarovski snowflake ornament every year, something like that. OR, you could wrap us some clothes and stuff you already have, if DD wouldn't notice...

Melaine
10-30-2009, 07:10 PM
I think it's sweet that she wants to see her little baby share the Christmas fun! I really don't see a problem in wrapping up some of the items for baby that you have already purchased. You could also let DD1 pick out a small gift for the new baby also, or maybe one of her old toys to set aside especially for the new one.

brittone2
10-30-2009, 07:10 PM
DD was 2 weeks old for her first Christmas. I knew DS would be suspicious if she got nothing at all, so I just picked up a few fun things/necessities I would have bought anyway.

Some things I remember giving were:
Klean Kanteen sippy
hair bows
wooden teethers (Haba Kringelring ended up being a favorite)
a pair of babylegs
CA Baby babywash
some new girlie bibs
new baby socks (lots of singles left over from DS LOL. Where do they all go?)
keepsake ornament

You could also do something like soft soled shoes. Trumpette socks? Swaddling blanket like the miracle blanket? Something small and inexpensive but personalized?

Of course, a bunch of that had to be stored for a good few months, but since we have bday and CHristmas so close, there also wasn't another occasion in between really. So I went with a few fun things and a few practical things I would have bought anyway.

marie
10-30-2009, 07:20 PM
DD2 was 3 weeks old her first Christmas and, like PP, we went very practical - set of first toothbrushes, babywash, etc. I remember getting her a playsilk, also.

I let DD1 pick out a gift for DD2 - a large, pink taggie blanket which DD1 quickly took over and gave DD2 her old, small, purple taggie in exchange!

Do you need to replace any board books that may have been eaten by your DD?

marie
mama to
DD1 9/03
DD2 12/07

pb&j
10-30-2009, 07:44 PM
DD was a month old for her first Christmas and got:
-a tutu (because what newborn doesn't need a tutu!!)
-a piece of jewelry that I have put away for later
-a monogrammed duffel bag, to match the ones the rest of us have
-a baby doll
-books

carolinamama
10-30-2009, 07:47 PM
Santa brought things to the baby last year for the sake of DS1. But I wanted him to see others getting gifts too, not just him. Anyway, DS2 got things like new pajamas, CA baby bath soap, a few new cloth diapers (could also wrap up disposible dipes), and a few books.

ThreeofUs
10-30-2009, 08:42 PM
Santa brought DS1
-rattles
-a "first christmas" ornament
-teethers
-a personalized travel duffel from LLBean (to match the rest of the family!)

As well as gifts from others. (We're trying to limit the number of presents under the tree, so both boys have 3-4 packages from us, and then their gifts from the extended families.)

SnuggleBuggles
10-30-2009, 08:59 PM
So, I looked up the pics from Christmas morning because I couldn't remember. :) Next to ds1's $80 Lego set and $40 pirate ship were a $5 rattle and a pack of Link-a-Dos. :) Ds1 didn't seem to notice or care.

How about a crib toy like the FP rainforest or Peaceful Planet? My ds2 loves those.

Beth

belovedgandp
10-30-2009, 08:59 PM
Is some of this baby stuff still stored or has she "seen" it all? When my DS2 was 6 months and older brother was 4, I wrapped up several toys and baby gear items as gifts even though they were actually out of our basement. DS1 didn't remember them since they were things that had been packed away since he was 18 months or so.

vonfirmath
10-30-2009, 10:26 PM
I highly recommend the orange Lamaze octopus for baby to look at (and smell. It's vanilla-scented. And hear when someone squeezes the tune-ful legs...) -- our baby's very first favorite toys. If you wanted to buy something new.

Momof3Labs
10-30-2009, 11:09 PM
Matching shirts for the siblings. My boys still get a kick out of wearing matching shirts, and I remember how much my niece loved it when her sister was born last year.

AshleyAnn
10-30-2009, 11:49 PM
I'm buying my DD a few stuffed toys that will be age appropriate in a few months. She'll be between 6 to 4 weeks old at Christmas. Stuff like the octopus a PP mentioned but mine is getting a similar elephant toy - its probably going to be bigger than her but I love it. With her birthday being so close the Christmas I figure I won't have enough reasons to buy gifts for her throughout the year so I might as well take advantage of this one.

kransden
10-31-2009, 01:18 AM
I think it's sweet that she wants to see her little baby share the Christmas fun! I really don't see a problem in wrapping up some of the items for baby that you have already purchased. You could also let DD1 pick out a small gift for the new baby also, or maybe one of her old toys to set aside especially for the new one.
That is exactly what I would do.
*****Alert*** Don't have dd1 unwrap all her presents THEN unwrap the baby's gifts. Have dd1 unwrap a few of her gifts then a baby gift. There is no jealousy then. My niece's first Xmas is still burned in my mind after 20 years.

doberbrat
10-31-2009, 06:38 AM
A little bro/sis shirt? DD would be amused I would think. I buy DD a Swarovski snowflake ornament every year, something like that. OR, you could wrap us some clothes and stuff you already have, if DD wouldn't notice...

Ohh, I like this idea- or the matching shirts idea. dd would be over the moon to match HER baby.

we're not buying anything new. we dont need anything! its so hard to decide whether dd's going to notice us wrapping up her old stuff - I think the answer is yes not much escapes her. All her board books are in pristine condition and they're all still out. but I guess a few new books never hurt anything.

kransden- thats a great tip. We usually take turns anyways but we'll be extra sensitive to it this year.

UGH I'm SO not prepared to be the mommy of 2!

kristac
10-31-2009, 09:52 AM
DS3 will be 1 month at Christmas- ideas I have so far:
Sophie the giraffe
Bumbo (we got rid of our old one)
Amber Teething Necklace
Jumperoo/ Excersaucer (again- consigned.)
Bibs
1st Christmas ornament

kijip
10-31-2009, 10:29 AM
Is some of this baby stuff still stored or has she "seen" it all? When my DS2 was 6 months and older brother was 4, I wrapped up several toys and baby gear items as gifts even though they were actually out of our basement. DS1 didn't remember them since they were things that had been packed away since he was 18 months or so.
:yeahthat:

Melanie
10-31-2009, 11:33 AM
Well, our first was a NB at Christmas. Santa brought some booties, one stuffed toy and one other activity type toy. I was on leave and Dh was unemployed that year so we were glad it was one where he wouldn't know!