PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever had

amandabea
10-30-2009, 09:13 PM
a Thai massage? I'm thinking that's what I may get when my bff and I go for our annual birthday spa treatments in a few weeks. My understanding is that it is a lot of stretching. And is kind of yoga-like. Any feedback - was it relaxing? Was it worth it? Would you do it again? I usually just go for the relaxing, tension-releasing massage, but I think I want something different.

luvmypeanut
10-30-2009, 10:26 PM
I'm not a big fan, but then again I usually go for deep tissue massages. With Thai massage, they give you pajamas to wear and they manipulate you but I found it not to be relaxing. I know a lot of people love it but I prefer the "spa" experience. And the times I've had it, I was laying on the floor because they use their feet to stretch and move you. Not my cup of tea. But it's always good to try something new so go for it! I think it would be fun to share a new experience with a good friend.

kozachka
10-30-2009, 10:56 PM
I've had Thai massage a number of times while we were travelling in Asia. The quality really depends on who gives it to you. In our experience older ladies were the best. It was the best after a three day hike in the Northern Thailand and made my back whole again with no muscle pain. Pure bliss. I've tried it again at a more reputable salon in a few days and while it was nice, it was not as special. I love, love, love Thai feet massage.

mamica
10-31-2009, 01:18 AM
I would agree that it probably depends on your therapist, but I have only had 2. The first one was at a holistic spa that specializes in massage. In their description, I envisioned it as being similar to yoga, with the stretching, but the therapist does all the heavy lifting, so to speak. You're almost an inactive participant, if that makes sense. And that's exactly how the massage was for me. And I loved it.

A few years later, I tried it at a highly-regarded resort hotel spa. My therapist was Asian, whether that means anything or not, and it was much less enjoyable both during and after. Walking on the back, legs, etc, and a lot of the fast-chop move (don't know what the right term would be). Actually, I didn't enjoy it at all. She started at my feet, and by the time she got to my shoulders/neck, our time was up.

Both times I was clothed and on a floormat.