PDA

View Full Version : Do I really *need* to buy maternity clothes?

la petite étoile
10-30-2009, 11:15 PM
So here's my dilemma. I'm currently three months pregnant and am just outgrowing my normal jeans. It's super difficult to find the kind of jeans I love in maternity that would fit me. I've been looking online for skinny jeans with really slim legs because I live in boots during the fall and winter and tuck them in. Pre-pregnancy I wear a 25 in jeans or a 0. So I'm thinking I could just go up a size and make sure they're low rise? I was looking into GAP and Old Navy maternity but I'm apprehensive seeing as I'm normally swimming in their smallest sizes. Has anyone just sized up throughout their pregnancy instead of buying maternity clothes? Or is there a maternity line for petite moms to be that's not crazy expensive? My other option is to just live in leggings and sweats :D

KrisM
10-30-2009, 11:21 PM
I could not have just sized up. The problem with sizing up a couple sizes is that it gets bigger everywhere, not just your belly. I didn't need it bigger in the legs, etc and I needed it much bigger in my belly!

You might be able to do it for a couple months though and you can always wear them again on the way back down :).

SnuggleBuggles
10-30-2009, 11:35 PM
I agree with Kris, going up a size really isn't going to be an ideal solution. Maternity clothes are just cut to really fit a pregnant body and will probably be something you will need in the coming weeks. No good advice on the jean front. I am really cheap and bought off the rack at Target and Old Navy and just rolled with their fit (I'm only short, but not really small, more in the size 6 range).

Beth

ciw
10-30-2009, 11:43 PM
I could not have just sized up. The problem with sizing up a couple sizes is that it gets bigger everywhere, not just your belly. I didn't need it bigger in the legs, etc and I needed it much bigger in my belly!

You might be able to do it for a couple months though and you can always wear them again on the way back down .
:yeahthat:
I was very tall and slim pre-pregnancy (and again post-pregnancy) and there's no way that sizing up would work for the entire pregnancy. I know because I tried! I wore my regular size until I was more than four months pregnant, than sized up. But by 6 months I'd outgrown the next size up and two sizes up just looked awful -- baggy in all the wrong places and too tight in the tummy. I wore some maternity clothes before the third trimester but by the time the third trimester was underway, all of my pants and most of my tops (except coats and jackets) were maternity wear.
A pair of sized up pants won't last you as long as maternity pants while you're pregnant because it won't provide any expansion as you grow. But if you feel and look better right now in sized up jeans than I think it's worth it (though I wouldn't buy too many pairs). And buying one size up now isn't a bad idea at all because, as the PP said, you can wear it after the baby is born while you're still losing weight.

sansdieu
10-30-2009, 11:44 PM
I'd say play it by ear and, above all, don't buy ahead. There is NO predicting how much weight you'll gain and where it will all "land" and what shape your belly will take. I gained virtually all of my weight and bulk post-partum (breastfeeding) and in places where I least expected it, and I'm sure every formerly pg woman has a similar story.

There is definitely some benefit in sizing up regular clothing -- when clothes aren't conspicuously maternity-looking, you might be able to "reuse" them for a while after you deliver. Since most of my maternity wardrobe was size-ups and empire-waisted tops that were trendy at the time, I could easily transition into them post-partum. As for the stretchy clothes (yoga pants, hoodies, etc.), I didn't even need to size up -- they fit just fine until the day I delivered.

A few more thoughts:

Perhaps instead of sizing up, you could go to regular lengths instead of petite tops -- they won't ride up on as much...

... A Bella band type belt is supposed to help you extend the use of your current wardrobe...

... and H&M, not sure if there is one near you, sells much slimmer-cut pregnancy clothes. I had a pair of pg pants that were slim-cut and could definitely be tucked into your boots.

lchang25000
10-30-2009, 11:52 PM
I was in my 3rd trimester during the winter so I was able to get away with wear leggings and oversized long sweaters (mostly from Target) that I just bought a size or 2 up and they looked just fine. The only maternity clothes I bought were the maternity jeans from Motherhood.

MontrealMum
10-30-2009, 11:58 PM
I agree with everything pp have said. Also seconding the Bella Band.

Some maternity shops and tailors can alter regular pants by sewing a maternity band into the top. Up here, there are a few that advertise in high-end maternity shops that they can turn high-end denim into maternity wear. Check it out. Macy's sells a high-end, trendy line called Paige Premium Denim in their maternity section. No idea how low the sizes go, but you might want to check that out too. Online I'd check Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus.

You may find that at a certain point in your pregnancy you will want to look decidedly pregnant, and not like you've suddenly gained weight. In regular sized up clothes you will eventually look like you've gained a fair amount of weight because of how they hang on you. This may not bother you, but it did bother me. Maternity clothes are tailored to fit your body properly, so that it's clear that your're pregnant. I did not have the issue that you're having in pants, but had thought I could just size up in tops. At some point I realized that I did not like that baggy, dumpy look and bought some proper maternity tops. I felt much better about myself after that. Everyone always looks better in something that is tailored to fit their body - no matter what size/shape they are. Just something to think about.

citymama
10-31-2009, 01:10 AM
Unfortunately with pants, there's no way around it. Past a point, you can't size up. I'm also small, and about as far along as you are. I think the last time I made it to about 16 weeks w/o needing maternity pants, and it looks like I'm on the same track now. I'm wearing elastic waist pants and pants I had that were a size or 2 too big. But oh my lord, your tummy will grow in ways that sizing up cannot accommodate! So at some point, maybe not yet, you'll probably need maternity pants. I would not invest in regular pants in larger sizes for sure.

truly scrumptious
10-31-2009, 11:32 AM
I barely bought any maternity clothes at all. I am 5"0 and wore a 2 or a 4 pre-pregnancy. But I was small throughout my pregnancy. I bought a couple of pairs of maternity pants which were too big initially and too tight on my lower belly later on (I didn't like the feel of the pressure of the elastic on my lower belly.) I barely gained any weight on my legs, etc. so the rest of my clothes fit me normally.
I practically LIVED in the Bella bands. I would leave by pants unzipped/unbuttoned and use the Bella band is it put much less pressure on my belly. And I would put on long tops (or the Bella band would look like I was layering tops.)
Confession: I still use the Bella bands for the pants I can't quite fit into :wink2:

lizzywednesday
10-31-2009, 01:42 PM
I've got another vote for the Bella Band or equivalent!

They do sell a "knockoff" version at Target for $17 (which I believe is manufactured by the same company.) IMO, this is probably the best $17 I have spent so far on maternity clothes, although it would be wise for me to go up a size to accommodate my hips and butt a bit better (it rides up a bit because I'm wearing a slightly smaller size than is appropriate for my body.)

I'm carrying small so far, but have found my jeans waistbands to be too tight when sitting down if I leave them buttoned ... so the Bella Band has been a lifesaver.

Melaine
10-31-2009, 01:48 PM
I can't imagine not buying maternity jeans. Yoga type cotton pants, shirts, hoodies, even dresses and skirts maybe. But if you like to wear jeans, then I think you will want maternity jeans. I was mostly belly but my belly was HUGE. Also, any kind of tightness really bothered me when I was pregnant (normally not so much). But I agree not to buy ahead too much. You just have to see how it goes.

wendibird22
10-31-2009, 01:49 PM
No personal experience as I'm usually a size 6 and sizing up only worked for the short term for me. But, a friend I know who's very slim (she's a runner) I saw last week and at 6mos preggo she's still wearing her regular low rise jeans with a belt (makes me jealous!). So, depending on how you carry you may be able to get away with low rise denim for a while longer.

I found great denim in Target maternity.

brittone2
11-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Yep...with sweaters, shirts, etc. you can size up (and there are some longer style sweaters out now, etc. that will work for a while in non-maternity). With pants, eventually you'll want maternity. Trust me. Low rise stuff for many people will get them through 1st/2nd trimester, but toward the end, will scoot down, roll down, or whatever and you risk displaying your bum IMO ;) I like the "secret panel" jeans that are out now vs. the ones I had from my 2 previous pregnancies.

I'm fairly petite when not pg (certainly not a 25/0 anymore after 2 previous kids), but I carry big (in the belly) because I have a short torso. So my belly really sticks out LOL.

If you want jeans, IMO you'll eventually want maternity. If you can size up a size or two and get away with it for now, you'll likely wear them post-baby again (I have a bunch of jeans 1-2 sizes up that i wear in the early part of my pgcy and then post baby for a few weeks/months).

Agreeing w/ others that some non maternity shirts, sweaters, yoga pants, leggings, etc. will get you through at least the 2nd tri, maybe the even the third, but you can't always tell. But you'll also be able to use some of them post partum.

I've been stretching my maternity wardrobe this time around with non maternity cardigans over maternity tees and shirts that are short sleeved, etc.

Cool blog I bumped into a few months ago that you might like (she used quite a bit of non maternity maternity clothes in her pgcy wardrobe)
http://www.academichic.com/2009/08/04/es-maternity-style-recap-highlight-reel/
http://www.academichic.com/category/preggers/

infomama
11-02-2009, 01:35 AM
Stop the presses...check this out!!!

http://denimtherapy.com/maternity-jeans/

AshleyAnn
11-02-2009, 02:00 AM
I'm 36 weeks pregnant and I offically cannot wear my prepregnancy jeans, even unbuttoned because the bottom of the zippered area is too tight when I sit. I've gained 9 lbs and am measuring small and am pretty much considered a freak by all the women who know me. I am managing to make my work pants work since I only work a few hours a day, a few days a week and once they quit being comfortable it just didn't seem worth it to replace them. I adore my motherhood secret fit jeans. They are size small/short (I'm short) and fit PERFECTLY. I'll miss them when its over. For tops - I just let my regular tops get tight, some are starting to roll up but mostly the stretchy fabric stuff thats in right now is great for pregnancy wear (it seems like maternity styling is sort of in anyway). I have 2 hand me down tops that are looser that I really like when the tighter stuff is bugging me but mostly I look silly in maternity stuff since it hides my belly. You don't need a lot I've survived my whole pregnancy on: 2 pairs of regular jeans, 1 pair motherhood maternity jeans, 3 pairs of work pants, a pair of pajama pants, and a pair of shorts I bought used when our a/c died during a heatwave and a handful of tops (maybe a dozen all prepregnancy except 2). I did have to replace bras twice since I jumped for a medium full 36B to a 38D/DD.

MIL kept asking me if I was wearing DH's clothes yet. He's a foot taller than me - I can barely fold his pants on laundry day let alone walk in them but thats what she did during her pregnancies.

AshleyAnn
11-02-2009, 02:02 AM
Stop the presses...check this out!!!

http://denimtherapy.com/maternity-jeans/

Looks similar to the old trick my grandmother used to do to my mom's jeans to make them bell bottoms. My friends and I attempted it a few times and just got in trouble for cutting up prefectly good jeans.

aa2mama
11-02-2009, 11:49 AM
I really think it depends on how you carry during your pregnancy. My sister carried more up and down during her first pregnancy and stayed really small. She wore almost no maternity clothes whatsoever. She's 5 months into her second pregnancy now and carrying more like a basketball this time. She's definitely having to do maternity clothes this time around. I carried straight out with both kids, and there is no way I could have done without maternity pants.

♥ms.pacman♥
11-02-2009, 12:28 PM
i'm 28 weeks and i don't see how i could have made it without buying maternity clothes! and i don't think i'm that huge, i've only gained 15 lbs so far in the entire pregnancy, all in my boobs/belly. i have super-skinny legs but the thing is, it's not just the pants that don't fit right during pregnancy, it's the tops. most of my regular tops just weren't long enough to cover my bigger boobs + expanding belly (i went from a 36B pre-prego to a 36D). i was able to wear most of my non-maternity tops for the first 4-5 months or so, but after that i really had to wear mostly maternity tops.

i have the cheap version of the Bella Band (the Be Band, from Target) and i thought it was useful, used it up until about 24 weeks or so...after that point, maternity jeans/pants were just so much more comfortable for me.

also, personally i find that things like skinny jeans, & form-fitted tops which are especially designed for pregnant women tend to MUCH more flattering than most oversized tops/jeans, etc (at least for me)...plus they are more comfortable (IMO). i splurged a little and bought a decent amount of nice maternity clothes because i wanted to look pregnant & somewhat stylish, rather than appear that i had just gained 20 lbs.

i agree though that u should wait before purchasing a ton of stuff, i bought maternity clothes gradually after i saw how my body changed and realized what I needed and what I didn't.

kozachka
11-02-2009, 12:55 PM
Like you I did not like the idea of buying maternity clothes so I first got a pair of pants in a larger size. That got me through about 6.5 months. I lived in yoga pants but sometimes you need to dress just a bit more so I caved in a got a pair of Japanese Weekend pants and jeans. They were much more flattering than the rest of the maternity clothes I've seen. I've also got one maternity top and one maternity workout tank. That's it. So I did not feel bad about splurging on JW. I did not work at the time so I could get away with wearing same/casual things over and over again.

There are some very nice designer maternity jeans. Keep an eye on department store sales. I saw a ton of them on NM and Saks website recently. Just because you are pregnant does not mean you can't wear your favorite jeans.

Andi98989
11-02-2009, 01:00 PM
Check out the Secret Fit jeans at Motherhood; they have one that is a slim leg that you might like.

I did size up in a pair of regular jeans at the end of my first trimester when I was just starting to get uncomfortable in my current jeans, but my maternity ones were too big (even with the Bella Band). That got me through until I "grew into" my maternity jeans.

Something to keep in mind - you have no idea what is going to be happening to your body in the next few months. I made it until just over halfway with everything seeming to be nice and normal. Then I started to retain tons and tons of water; by June I couldn't wear shoes any more and I spent the rest of my pregnancy in sandals. The last couple of weeks I actually had to go and buy "fuzzy Crocs" because it was too cold here for sandals. Also, my water started to build up in my legs and it was getting hard to get in/out of my jeans - and they weren't the skinny cut.

maybeebaby08
11-03-2009, 12:53 AM
My SIL is tiny just like you and she got some really cute jeans at Old Navy yesterday. She said she was so surprised they fit so well because usually she can't wear ON jeans. She found two pairs she really liked and we live in New England and she wears Ugg type boots all winter too so she needed something she could tuck in. GL!