PDA

View Full Version : Which musical to choose?

kristenk
10-30-2009, 11:23 PM
I'm working on a Christmas wish list and one of the items is a ticket to a musical and someone to go with me! I think that my SIL or MIL might be interested in doing that with me. DH is definitely NOT a musical person and I SO am, even though I haven't seen anything in ages.

Here are the shows I know of that will be in the area sometime after Christmas. I'd like to list a couple of different ones on my wish list. Which would you choose?

The Color Purple
Alfred Hitchcock's The 39 Steps
Phantom of the Opera
RAIN: A Tribute to the Beatles
Xanadu
The Music of Andrew Lloyd Webber
Little House on the Prairie
Wicked
Dreamgirls
Shrek
The Buddy Holly Story
Topol in Fiddler on the Roof
Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

Jacksmommy2b
10-30-2009, 11:31 PM
Fiddler on the roof would be my first choice. You can't go wrong with that one.

elliput
10-31-2009, 12:57 AM
Of the ones you have listed, I really want to see Wicked.

Fiddler is an all time favorite of mine and I can pretty much recite the whole show (was in a production several years ago). I have seen Phantom twice on stage and would definitely see it again if given the chance. Joseph and the ATD is a fun show.

infomama
10-31-2009, 01:00 AM
I would choose Fiddler out of those. I have seen Phantom many times and it is wonderful. I have tickets for Wicked...can't wait.

tylersmama
10-31-2009, 02:14 AM
Wicked. Definitely.

mom2akm
10-31-2009, 05:00 AM
Wow. You have so many excellent choices. I would vote for Wicked as well.

Drag0nflygirl
10-31-2009, 06:08 AM
Wicked. Definitely.

:yeahthat:

If you can, read the book first. The show actually makes you wonder why the author didn't think of certain plot twists that just make sense (as much as anything in Oz can make sense).

Kymberley
10-31-2009, 09:12 AM
Phantom of the Opera, Wicked, Fiddler on the Roof. And I hope you get all 3!

sdjeppa
10-31-2009, 11:40 AM
Definitely WICKED. Saw it in August and loved it! The soundtrack is great too.

jerigirl
10-31-2009, 11:50 AM
Are they all at similar venues?? If something is at the new Winspear I would check that out. It is supposed to be really nice!

Melaine
10-31-2009, 11:51 AM
I'm going to see Wicked locally in Jan. I am SO excited!

shawnandangel
10-31-2009, 11:59 AM
I want to se Wicked so badly! I've seen Phantom and it's great. Those would be my top two choices. Third would probably be Shrek.

If you ever get a chance, The Lion King is my all time favorite musical. I was so amazed by it, and still am! I can't wait to take DD if the traveling cast ever comes back to Nashville.

Veronica's Mommy
10-31-2009, 12:04 PM
I would see RAIN or Wicked. But it would depend on the guest- is the guest the one buying the tickets?

MMMommy
10-31-2009, 12:12 PM
Wicked! I've been wanting to see it.

kristenk
10-31-2009, 12:44 PM
I've only seen Fiddler on the Roof and that was a long time ago.

I think that my list is going to be:
Phantom of the Opera
Wicked
Fiddler

Thanks for the help! I might need to reread Wicked... :)

elizabethkott
10-31-2009, 01:57 PM
Just FYI - The 39 Steps is not a musical - it's a comedy, and it's hilarious!
DH and I actually just saw it last night for our 5th Anniversary.
But if it's a musical you're looking for, I'd vote for either Wicked or Fiddler.
Are you going to Broadway? If so, don't forget about the Ragtime or Bye Bye Birdie revivals!!!

Bethann31
10-31-2009, 03:30 PM
Just FYI - The 39 Steps is not a musical - it's a comedy, and it's hilarious!
DH and I actually just saw it last night for our 5th Anniversary.
But if it's a musical you're looking for, I'd vote for either Wicked or Fiddler.
Are you going to Broadway? If so, don't forget about the Ragtime or Bye Bye Birdie revivals!!!

Oh my, if you have a chance to see RAGTIME, you should do it!! I adore WICKED, but RAGTIME just brings out every emotion in you and is an amazing show.

maestramommy
10-31-2009, 03:40 PM
I am amazed to see some of the titles. I had no idea they were musicals!

Given a choice, I'd jump on Wicked first. Then Fiddler on the Roof.

Agree with pp on Lion King if you haven't seen it before. The opening sequence is powerful; I had tears in my eyes.

kristenk
10-31-2009, 03:45 PM
Just wanted to clarify - not all of the titles are musicals! I started off asking about musicals and then decided to ask about all of the performances that I know will be in my area after Christmas. I forgot to change "musical" in a few places.

A sad no to the question of going to Broadway. That would definitely open up some possibilities!

Cheburashka
10-31-2009, 06:12 PM
RAIN is pretty good, I think my parents enjoyed it more than I did though. Joseph with a good male lead is amazing. Phantom is my favorite stage show; I've seen it so many times and would go see it everyday if I could.

daniele_ut
10-31-2009, 06:23 PM
I work in theatre and see a LOT of plays and I would choose Wicked. I've seen it on Broadway and here at home and both shows were great.

AnnieW625
10-31-2009, 07:07 PM
Phantom of the Opera is great. I want to take DH to see it (I have seen it twice), but the tour schedule hasn't worked for us. I have also heard good things about Rain, the Beatles tribute band, but not sure if that is the same show/concert you are talking about.

urquie
11-01-2009, 01:31 AM
i would suggest topol, especially if you've never seen him before... this is his farewell tour.

you can't go wrong with topol - he's like a fine wine!

LexyLou
11-01-2009, 01:39 AM
Wicked, without a doubt.

I also really enjoyed Joseph and His Technicolor Dream Coat.